Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,538

1 members and 3,537 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

AstroTurf review 8/10

hope this is in the right section, if not please move it
    P.s. I APOLOGIZE ON THE SIZE OF THE PICS! JUST THINK OF IT AS A CLOSE-UP
    hey everyone, just wanted to give a small review on my experiences with AstroTurf.

This stuff is great, i have read a bunch of stuff on people hating it blah blah blah...IMO i rate it 8/10...
    it can be bought at your local hardware store for about 72 cents a square foot, i bought 4 12x72" strips for $15 i then cut 24" off each of them to make them 12x48" which fit the tanks i have(attempting to get rid of them >.<) anyway, they slide in nicely, give the tank a nice clean look IMO so much more ascetically pleasing than paper towels and in the long run so much cheaper.

EASE OF CLEANING: 10/10 it is so simple i bought 4 so i would always have 1 waiting to go in the tank right behind the other, if one gets soiled, roll it up, take it out back, put just a FEW drops of dish soap and hose it down relentlessly and let air dry over night. unroll the spare and place inside enclosure. simple 30 second process.

HUMIDITY: 10/10This was one of my main fears when getting this stuff but after the first night i knew i would never have a a problem. my 55gal TANKS maintain a 55-60% humidity level with a single bi-weekly spray. which IMO is amazing considering i was having to spray every other day with aspen, mulch and paper towels. in fact, yesterday my normal female had a near perfect shed.

CLEANLINESS OF SUBSTRATE: now this should fall under ease of cleaning but id like to just knock it out to avoid confusion... if your snake "pee's" it will take the urine and pull it underneath the AstroTurf, so even if you cant get to it right away you dont have to orry cause your snake is not sitting in a puddle of its own urine. BUT, this stuff does flake off some of the little green "nestles" when handled, now unless your a clean freak it shouldnt be a problem but it is very annoying. (does not flake when inside enclosure for some reason) so i would have to rate this at 2/10 just because it makes a mess.

ODOR: Believe it or not but i always had a fowl odor coming from 1 of the cages, no matter what i did how hard i scrubbed it never went away, untill i got this stuff. it has no smell to it what so ever anymore, even if there is urine or feces present it traps the stench, having the tanks in my bedroom and living room this is a huge bonus so 10/10

all around i love this product, it does have its pros and cons but the pros outweigh the cons by far. here is a picture of the setup one of my bps are in.

HEATING: could be better but i can't complain to much lol... keeps a nice 90/80 hot/cold with UTH and red heat lamp
    they both have been shedding very well, eating RELENTLESSLY and growing like weeds, they both seem extremely happy and content so over all i rate this substrate 8 out of 10

thanks,
    feel free to comment any opinions suggestions questions or answers
    Last edited by Gabe Rienzo; 01-25-2012 at 09:06 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gabe Rienzo For This Useful Post:

HighVoltageRoyals (01-26-2012)

BPnet Veteran HighVoltageRoyals's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for the in depth review! I really like the detail and thought put into this post. Great job and thanks again!!
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Nice review, I wish people would put as much detail as you did in their reviews! Do you have a water dish in the tank?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo