Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

2 members and 2,914 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help needed with GTP Shed

Mine is having a hard shed, Just got the book by Maxwell, wife pick it up for me. Will look at the web site you sent. Thank You for the Info it is always good to get info I have been getting from many people. My GTP is about 5ft long Male, Age is unknown. Aru GTP and is just great.

As of right now I been able to keep my Humidity at 60 to 70% and rasised it higher before shed and let it drop during the day and temp on cool side is staying about Mid 70%s and and other side in lower 80%'s. At night its been 70 to 73% on ave. Been working very hard with thin one. Been eating well, goint to bathroom well. Will crack open book and read this week end and see if I get inprove based on my current funds. I will try and get pics out on all to get into from all. Read a great amount of it this last three days.

He has done a 3/4 shed. Tried a tub with towels with warming pad on bottom and lamp based on maxwell book. Got some more off. Has anyone put GTP into a warm tup of water with shed treatment about 1/4 " for a bath? to moistin up his skin? All my other pythons had great sheds. Please and comments and help, just want to make he happy, hes been fighting this shed for a while, one good thing after his 3/4 shed he ate. He is active, reg bowelsmovments and feeds good. But this is his first shed since I have had him since DEC 2011. Last night did help I i was able to get some of the skin off that had moisten up. Cambra is not up and working yet but will get pic asap, we just got power on after 3 days and first day back to work in 4 days. Please any help?

Please feel free to give commets and help

Terrance
    Our Current Family:
    1.0 Green Tree Python (ARU)=Hercules: 1.0 Borneo Blood Python=Sir Lancelot
    0.1 Ball Python=Sheba: 0.0.1 Gopher Rescue=Dirty Harry: 1.0.0 Corn=Apollo
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko= Napoleon 0.1.0: Bearded Dragon=Draco : 0.1.0Fire Belly Armadillo Lizard:
    0.1.0 Rose Hair Tarantula: 1.0 Cockatiel=Luna: 0.1 Vosmari Eclectus=Evee: 0.2 Cats= Kiku, Duchess: 1.2 Dog=Lilly, Brandy, Charly: 2.0 Flemish Giant=Athena and Snuggles: 0.4 Rats: 0.0.8 Tiger Barbs Fish:
    MY Wish List:
    1.1 Jaya Carpet Python: 0.1 Black Pastel Python:

Thanks
    Hey Terrance!
    I've had similar situation with GTPs before. A good idea would be to soak him again for about 2 to 2.5 hours in warm water in a rubbermaid container (make sure the top is secure so there is no escape. Make sure the water isn't too deep either - if it is, he'll swim the entire time and can die from drowning or exhaustion. The water only needs to be deep enough to cover him when on the bottom. Check back often.

After soaking, I take my snakes out and, depending on their temperament, will hold them behind the head with one hand, supporting the body with my arm and hand, and remove the shed with my other hand. If shed stays stuck on tail ends and eyes (make sure to check these places), it can cause blindness or the tail tip to break off. When removing shed around the eyes, you can use a q-tip gently and when removing shed around the tail you need to be careful not to pull the tail and cause spine damage - gently roll away the stuck shed. most of the time if they're soaked long enough, the stuck shed will be falling off quite easily - this has worked great with new ATBs that I've gotten with a complete stuck shed.

Hope this helps!
    Chris
    ~Chris
    Biology Departments - Marist College & Mount Saint Mary College
    carillephoto.com - Wildlife, Landscape, Wedding, & (of course) Snake Photography for sale
    edenexotics.weebly.com - my snake breeding business. Lots of different species, from Ball Pythons through to Bimini Island Boas

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bioteacher For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (01-23-2012)

Thanks
    Got him all done, one little part left right above one eye on top but not covering it looks lik eyebrow.

Thanks
    Our Current Family:
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko= Napoleon 0.1.0: Bearded Dragon=Draco : 0.1.0Fire Belly Armadillo Lizard:
    0.1.0 Rose Hair Tarantula: 1.0 Cockatiel=Luna: 0.1 Vosmari Eclectus=Evee: 0.2 Cats= Kiku, Duchess: 1.2 Dog=Lilly, Brandy, Charly: 2.0 Flemish Giant=Athena and Snuggles: 0.4 Rats: 0.0.8 Tiger Barbs Fish:
    MY Wish List:

Thanks
    No problem. Glad to have helped and good to see that you've gotten the shed off. You might want to try to add an arboreal humidity hide. This way he can regulate himself a little more.
    ~Chris
    carillephoto.com - Wildlife, Landscape, Wedding, & (of course) Snake Photography for sale
    edenexotics.weebly.com - my snake breeding business. Lots of different species, from Ball Pythons through to Bimini Island Boas

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bioteacher For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (01-24-2012)

Thanks
    Got any good thoughts on what to make the hide out of. He is 5 to 5 1/2 ft. He is in a 40 gal tank with a slider lid. I had a bowl of moss on gound but did not work.

Let me know

thanks
    Our Current Family:
    MY Wish List:

Thanks
    I would think you could probably put a a plastic tub/hide face-down, and then on top of it use a plastic box with moss. Or if you could sit a plastic box on something to get it arboreal, that would work. I've used bird homes before and cut the top so I could open it, then gorilla glued it to the wall or put it on top of stilts (treated wood pieces).
    ~Chris

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bioteacher For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (01-26-2012)

Thanks

Re: Help needed with GTP Shed

Quote Originally Posted by bioteacher View Post
    I would think you could probably put a a plastic tub/hide face-down, and then on top of it use a plastic box with moss. Or if you could sit a plastic box on something to get it arboreal, that would work. I've used bird homes before and cut the top so I could open it, then gorilla glued it to the wall or put it on top of stilts (treated wood pieces).
    Hello Bioteacher,

My little friend GTP,

Who I am now got Day and Night, Temp, Humitity right about 97 % of the time, he os back on his branch and has eated well., Misting betiing done right and is fogging glass for about 2 + hour. He has alos be missed so he is getting water. But now he wants to sit in water bowl. He does not have Mites, Seems happy amd ok he might just be a little deatrated, but I have been looking at the signs. But like Maxwell said they just LOVE to cause us pain and keep us guessing. Hase anyone exle seen this. I have check the bowe and no little black firends in it. he just chilling? He is a GREAT Friend and a very nice snake but makes me want to DRINK some many times......He shed about 30 days ago.

Please let me know if this has happen to anyone before.

Thank You

Terrance

Our Current Family:
    MY Wish List:

Thanks
    He may be going into shed if he is soaking and his last shed was 30 days ago. He has been eating? And definitely no mites? - soaking is usually a big sign. My guess would be getting ready to shed if he doesn't have mites.
    ~Chris

Thanks

Smile

Thanks, He just likes to make me drink and worry... LOL

But he is just the best big little snake in the world and I just worried about him.

Thnak You all for everything. I am just a worried wart.

Yes shed 30 days ago, and just ate on Sat last week.

Terrance
    Our Current Family:
    MY Wish List: