Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

1 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Where to get Antivenom

Quote Originally Posted by mr.spooky View Post
    just quoting myself..... to the OP,,,, what type of snake are you talking about?
    i feel like your dodging the question... some if not most states have laws on venomous reptiles. is this why your dodging the question?
    i dont think that illegal activity is supported here..........
    spooky
    The State I currently live in does not allow ownership of exotic venomous snakes. I'm planning on moving in a couple of months to a State that does allow it. The snake I want to get is a Gaboon Viper.
    Last edited by KingObeat; 01-22-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingObeat View Post
    The State I currently live in does not allow ownership of exotic venomous snakes. I'm planning on moving in a couple of months to a State that does allow it. The snake I want to get is a Gaboon Viper.
    This is as much as I will give you:

You will need to get both a BB-IND (investigational new drug permit) and an import permit. The FDA issues the first and the USDA the latter.

You will need to fill out many forms and the physician you plan on administering the antivenin will have to provide his resume and also fill out some forms.

If memory serves, every year you have to report to the FDA if you had to use any antivenin.

A gaboon envenomation is serious business. A minimum a 10 vials of antivenin are needed per bite. When I was buying dispholidus antivenin the cost was $125 per vial - and that was a while ago - but it was the same manufacturer.

Plus you will need full instructions (protocols) if you get bitten. You also need to find a physician that can properly treat you if you get envenomated. If you think you can drive yourself to the nearest Kaiser and have some emergency room schlub save your a$$ you are in for a nasty surprise.

As for the manufacturer links and the link to all the forms, you are on your own. Hopefully the process of working all this out will make you think twice about going forward with this.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-23-2012 at 01:25 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

cmack91 (01-23-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

SPAMTASTICO!
    Thanks

I bought mine on Red cross shop Snake Antivenin

I bought mine on Red cross shop Snake Antivenin and i really don't mind that it's legal or not !!!

And i could inject it myself if really needed !!! Who minds ??!!?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: I bought mine on Red cross shop Snake Antivenin

Quote Originally Posted by officialhealthtips View Post
    I bought mine on Red cross shop Snake Antivenin and i really don't mind that it's legal or not !!!

Wow, ain't you just the smartypants in the group.

Some of us who hang out around here sort of frown on idiots like you posting their illegal activities. Some of us, like me, sort of frown on idiots like you telling anyone that you even have snakes because it's the idiots like you that make all the rest of us look bad.

WHEN you get bit, don't tell us about it. I'm sure it'll be in the paper and on the news, you know, something like, idiot snake owner bitten by venomous snake dies by injecting out dated antivenom improperly for the wrong species of snake.

Rock on dude, you're way cool...
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

Denial (02-01-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts

Seriously?

You are either:

1. SPAM
    2. Idiot
    3. All of the above.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

You're going to inject it yourself?

Will you be "injecting" yourself while your head is lodged up your ass or are you going to extract it first?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post

Will you be "injecting" yourself while your head is lodged up your ass or are you going to extract it first?
    hehehehehehehehe
    spooky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post

Nice LOL
    Don't worry Skip people have been doing things like this for years. i believe it was in fact first described by Darwin as "Natural Selection". It's a good thing; helps to keep the gene pool strong.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks

I would have to agree with the consensus here that obtaining your own anti venom is probably not going to work out for you. As has been mentioned in addition to it being hard to obtain, having a very limited shelf life, and really only being useful if you have a physician that is well versed in the treatment of exotic snake bite. Like Skiploader said in the event of an accident you will need allot of juice, 1 or 2 vials is not going to cut it. A man I knew received a bite from 1 fang in his index finger from a large naja nigricollis. He did have his own anti-venom; at the hospital they used his entire supply (12 vials if memory serves correct) he still lost the finger but at least he didn`t lose his hand, arm or life. I think if you are serious about keeping Hots and you want to try to have access to a source of anti-venom that your best course of action would be to locate an anti-venom bank that stores SAIMR Polyvalent, become a member; and hope that if you do get bit that some other member hasn’t used up there supply before you needed it. On another note I would like to say that I certainly understand your desire to keep Gaboons. They are in fact the exact reason that I myself started keeping Hots. I must say though they are NOT a starter Hot. Over the years I have kept many different Hot snakes including 3 of the 4 large bitis and i can tell you without a doubt adult Gabs are one of the most challenging snakes to handle safely. Their sheer size and strength make them very difficult to stick handle. Even on 2 hooks the weight of an adult Gab makes them very hard to lift even when they are behaving themselves. Because of the strength they possess and the length of their fangs if you should ever need to take one behind the head you had better be experienced and comfortable with the procedure because if you fingers are even slightly out of position you WILL get bitten count on it. They are also one of the most difficult snakes to read I have ever worked with. Sometimes just the slightest twitch of an eye is all that proceeds a strike, and sometimes you don`t even get that. Perhaps that most dangerous aspect of Gaboons though is the fact that they appear so placid. It would be very easy for even a seasoned keeper who has seen with their own eyes just what these snakes are capable of to be lulled in to a false sense of security by a snake that does nothing more than hiss for years. The problem is of course the day you go into the cage expecting the same old blow hard do nothing snake is the day they decide to explode with a strike that is almost too fast to see and far longer than you would think they are capable of and if you’re not ready for it you’re in trouble. You really need to make sure you are completely comfortable with all the tools and techniques required to safely handle venomous snakes before you even attempt to tackle any of the large Bitis. If you haven’t already I would strongly suggest you spend at least a couple of years maintaining something a little more manageable like Crotalus first.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast