Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

1 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ban Feline's

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ban Feline's

Regardless of your thoughts or feelings while reading this, please read it in its entirety. The conclusion may hold some surprises.

There is a call to action for the United States Fish & Wildlife Service along with the Department of the Interior to take action against a major wildlife threat looming across the country. Due to their threats against natural ecosystems, Domestic cats (Felis catus) need to be regulated or banned!
    *An estimated 117 to 157 million exotic predators in the form of free-ranging domestic cats (Felis catus), are estimated to kill at least one billion birds every year in the United States. Cats have contributed to declines and extinctions of birds worldwide and are one of the most important drivers of global bird extinctions.

Every year, thousands of cats are abandoned, released, or escape into the wild, and many of these turn to their feral state and form feral colonies. These colonies pose a real and severe threat to wildlife and natural ecosystems everywhere. A single cat can easily kill hundreds of wild, native animals in a year. Multiply this by a colony of 20 cats, then again by the number of colonies in township, which can easily number over 20, and you can see just how widespread of a problem this is. Typical prey items for cats include songbirds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, and insects. Their primary instinct and prey items are songbirds and small mammals. All songbirds except for 2 in the entire country are protected by federal law, and many of these are even endangered.

Cats are natural predators that have an amazing ability to adapt to a wide range of living circumstances and have the ability to establish colonies everywhere in the United States. In many places, they have few, if any, natural predators which allow them to flourish. They are also prolific breeders and a single female can produce 20 babies in a single year. *Because of their ability to overwhelm existing native species and natural ecosystem processes in environments in which they have been introduced, domestic cats are moreover classified as invasive species. **Due largely to impacts resulting from its predation on other species, the domestic cat is listed by the IUCN as one of the “100 of the world’s worst invasive alien species”.

By listing these environmental hazards as injurious under the Lacey Act, they can prohibit the importation and transport across state lines. Further legislation should include orders and local funding to eradicate populations and legislation to prohibit ownership or implement permit processes to own these animals.

Feral Cats have established breeding populations in every state in the union and have caused significant damage to wildlife and they continue to pose a great risk to many native species, including threatened and endangered species. ***Historically, cats have been specifically implicated in at least 33 bird extinctions, making them one of the most important causes of bird extinctions worldwide.
    Millions of dollars have been spent on efforts to fight this massive problem, and yet it only continues to grow.

This is stolen from Kingsnake.com here is the full link http://www.kingsnake.com/blog/archiv...e-threat!.html
    Last edited by Austin236; 01-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austin236 For This Useful Post:

ahunt037 (01-18-2012),dragonboy4578 (01-18-2012)

Thanks
    Good...ban them, I hate cats, their just giant oversized rats to me.

Ban the cats, keep the snakes!
    1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks

Re: Ban Feline's

As much as I occasionally think my brother's cats are cute, I really do hate having to basically take a decontamination shower when I get home in order to prevent my GF's allergies from exploding. No big loss IMO, and they DO cause a lot of environmental harm. If snakes (and by extension, other reptiles) deserve a ban, then cats are LONG overdue.
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to olstyn For This Useful Post:

drama x (01-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    To each his own, but you people must have not ever been loved by a cat........ Sad for you....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (01-18-2012),MarkieJ (01-18-2012)

Thanks
    Everyone loves different animals. We get upset over our snakes over these proposed laws, I love cats, dogs, lizards, all kinds of animals. People that say we should ban animals.. its pretty ignorant. Can't we all just get along?
    ~My Crew~
    "Darigan" Dinker, "Mandark" Mojave, "Daedra" Lesser ph Ghost, "Voodoo" Black Pastel Ghost, "Astoria" Calibee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeKittyFishy View Post
    Can't we all just get along?
    Have you been to the U.S.A? Lol

The day that happens is the day hell freezes over.

R.I.P. Shebah

10. The Following User Says Thank You to drama x For This Useful Post:

ahunt037 (01-18-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drama x View Post
    Have you been to the U.S.A? Lol

The day that happens is the day hell freezes over.
    The day that happens would be the best day in our country's history. Everyone is blowing everything out of proportion. There will always be people letting their animals into the wild. Soon everything will be banned including our snakes. It's getting rediculous. I think its time to go to Canada...
    ~My Crew~
    "Darigan" Dinker, "Mandark" Mojave, "Daedra" Lesser ph Ghost, "Voodoo" Black Pastel Ghost, "Astoria" Calibee

Thanks

So you think it's fair to try and ban someone's family pet because YOUR animals are threatened? I own a Cat that I wouldn't give up for the world. I'd love to see someone try and take ANY of my animals from my house.

I own all sorts of other animals, this law directly effects me too. I have over 70 reptiles (including giant constrictors), dogs, a cat, rats, tarantulas, birds, etc.

There is no reason to point fingers at another group and throw them under the bus. We shouldn't allow the Government to regulate any animals we choose to keep in our households. Instead it should be through situational control. Feral cats should be controlled, domestic felines are just as harmless as your Ball Python.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Michelle.C For This Useful Post:

SnakeKittyFishy (01-18-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeKittyFishy View Post
    The day that happens would be the best day in our country's history. Everyone is blowing everything out of proportion. There will always be people letting their animals into the wild. Soon everything will be banned including our snakes. It's getting rediculous. I think its time to go to Canada...
    I completely agree with you, and everyone thought 2012 was going to be a good year, well its starting out like crap. Obama needs to go. Im sick of the currupt illuminotic government, they can all burn in hell for all i care.

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks
    I would say the same thing about pigs and how much land they destroy every year and how dangerous they r to people but they just taste so darn good I don't think I would wanna ban bacon ham or sausage now would u??? Not a question towards vegetarians I kno ur answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast