Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

1 members and 2,920 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Unhappy Don't know how to feel..

A Little previous info..
    I got my dog Taura (avatar pic) about a year and a half ago. Shes been a good dog always with me on hikes and throughout the day just hanging out, but she also had her problems. She has issues with other dogs so I always kind of kept her away, and everything was kind of ok. She had seperation issues also and with school coming up i've been leaving her with my grandparents to get used of them, and being away from me. Well today was my second day of school and I left her with them. I come home, grab a snack and all of a sudden theres panic in the back yard. I run out there to see one of his granparents chihuhua (who lives in the back) flailing around with blood everywhere. It was such a hard sight that I still can't get out of my head. Taura had bit the dog in the neck over some food I'm guessing. I couldn't believe it, but then I could. I'm so upset that she did this and have decided not to keep her anymore. This rainbow bridge post is for that poor little dog that had to suffer becasue of taura.

If you were in my position would you take the dog to get put down? or simply try to get her into a rescue? would you tell the rescue what she did? Please I need some guidance.
    Females: Normal, V.P.I. Axanthic, Lesser, 0.2 calicos, Fire , Enchi, Black Pastel, Pastel , Bumblebee, Leopard Mojave, Yellowbelly

Males:
    Pastave, Orange Dream pastel, Bumblebee het VPI ax, Pastel calico, Pastel Champagne

Thanks
    In my humble opinion (and i don't mean to upset you in any way) i would have kept her, its your dog. Food aggression is natural dog behavior, they arn't humans, they are animals, just like us. If i was in a restraunt and some dude took my food from me i would probly whoop his #@$, it was the same situation you're dog was in, stuff happens.

Keep you're dog, do whats right and help the OTHER dog with any vet bills.

I have a Pitbull and have been in these sticky situations, my Pit has almost attacked a few kids (he doesn't like small children) so i have him avoid them, its just apart of his personality, but im not going to get rid of my dog for anything, its just who he is.

I wish you the best of luck, and i hope you make the right desicsion.
    1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks

Re: Don't know how to feel..

I once had an akita that did the same to my neighbor's dog. I fortunately had a family member who lives a couple hours away who could take her. If I were you I'd try to rehome her. Sorry you have to deal with this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Are you sure it was a food issue? If she kills the dog next time, I'm not sure she did this time, then what?

Check with rescues before putting her down but give some serious thought to having old people take care of her. What if, while trying to break up a fight, one of your grandparents got hurt?

It is your dog, true enough, but it sounds like you don't have the time for that particular dog. That's not to be negative, my own offspring are in college and I spend a lot of time with their dogs, sometimes more than they do just because of school and work. If it needs that much attention and watching after, maybe someone else would be better suited.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (01-18-2012)

Thanks

I have already started entering her into rescue groups, because there is no way I can keep her. There are still other dogs in the house and I can't let this happen again. I should have knew. She bit another dog of theirs over food but not bad at all and I should have knew from then that it was a matter of time before she did something like this. Im just so disappointed in her. She came so far with training and being good but food and other dogs was always her problem. Some of my co-workers who have known her longer then I (i work at a doggy daycare) suggested I put her down, but I just can't even bare the thought. I'm terribley sad that I'm losing one of my bestfriends, hiking buddies, and partner.
    Females: Normal, V.P.I. Axanthic, Lesser, 0.2 calicos, Fire , Enchi, Black Pastel, Pastel , Bumblebee, Leopard Mojave, Yellowbelly

Males:
    Pastave, Orange Dream pastel, Bumblebee het VPI ax, Pastel calico, Pastel Champagne

Thanks

Do not put that dog down, any animal can be rescued. Thousands of the meanest fighting pitbulls are rescued, rehibilitated, and rehomed. There is no excuse to put that dog down, if i lived close by i would take it. I cant even believe someone told you to get it put down, that is so disturbing and disgusting.
    1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks
    I'm very sorry that that had to happen and that you had to see something like that, it's hard to get used to. IMHO putting her down should not be an option (I don't mean to sound confrontational here) but the reason that she did that as far as you know is because you put her in that situation, even though you knew that she has a tendency to not get along well with dogs.

If I were in your shoes I'd take her to be evaluated by a behaviourist to determine whether the problem is rooted in her upbringing/training or if it's a chemical imbalance (which isn't uncommon and treatable by medication). Even if you can't afford the solution that they give you, then at least when you get her to a shelter you can mention that she'd been evaluated and has such and such a problem which can be solved in such and such a way.

I've seen many dog-aggressive dogs getting adopted into homes that have a lot of time to spend with the dog and don't have other pets, or at least other dogs, and they live there happily ever after. IMO since you've decided that you can't keep her any more, it's your responsibility to do the work necessary on your end to understand what's wrong with her before you give her off to someone else.

Sorry if I sounded confrontational, that wasn't my intent. I meant every word in that post in the most removed and rational sense, it just doesn't come across well in writing always.

I wish you the best in whatever you do, for both you and Taura.
    Last edited by Alexandra V; 01-18-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

RobNJ (01-18-2012)

Thanks

I'M NOT PUTTING HER DOWN! So calm down. I love her way to much like I said I already put her name in some rescues. I'm determined to find her a more suited home which is what I should have done from the beginning. She wasn't super aggressive towards other dogs but she always preffered to be away from them. She went to daycare often, she used to pretty much live there before I took her, and had moments but nothing major towards the other dogs.

Thank you Alexandra for the suggestion. I will definatly look into a behavior test, and unlike her privious owner...will tell the next everything about her issues so she finds the right place.

It only slightly crossed my mind of having to put her down because I've seen cases where if a dog where to go as far as killing another they were supposed to be put down for being aggressive and possibley harmful to other animals and people.

Males: