Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,046

1 members and 3,045 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mountlake Terrace, Washington, United States
    Thanks

Re: U.S. set to approve python ban

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Exactly! Obviously there aren't any that can be found now.. The cold snap did precisely what we thought it would do...
    http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.ht...ons.vanish.cnn
    they know whats up, they all hid.

Thanks
    I am surprised no one has taken a religious stance on this. Or at least no one has to my knowledge.

Genesis 1:28
    God blessed them. God said to them, "Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it. Have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the sky, and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

I am not overly religious myself, but it seems like this would be a good point for fodder.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    The reply I got after sending my letters last week... I wonder how many other of our reps had absolutely no idea that this was going on??

Thank you for contacting me concerning the Lacey Act. I appreciate knowing your thoughts on this matter.

The Lacey Act was signed into law in 1900. It was the first federal law designed to protect wildlife and is administered by the Departments of Interior, Commerce, and Agriculture (USDA). Over the past century, the law has been amended several times to expand protection to a broader range of flora and fauna, and to control the potentially dangerous introduction of non-native species.

Most recently, the bill was amended by the 2008 Farm Bill to prohibit the import of illegally logged timber and timber products. This amendment included language from the Combat Illegal Logging Act of 2007, which was written to help curb illegal logging practices abroad by eliminating offenders’ access to the U.S. market.

I appreciate your concerns regarding the scope of the Lacey Act. Although no legislation has been introduced that would amend or defund the Lacey Act, I will keep your views in mind in case the matter is considered by the Senate in the future.

Again, thank you for your message. Please feel free to stay in touch on issues of importance to you.
    Sincerely,
    Richard J. Durbin
    United States Senator

Monica:

Durbin the Richard is an idiot.

One of his aides did a crappy job of reading your inquiry.

This is his "stance" on constrictors and the Lacey Act:

http://amazon-alliance.com/forums/in...ic=1288.0;wap2

http://www.usark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&p=464
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Damn Skip! You always have some kind of clever response!

Btw, for those of you in this thread who think this means BCIs and all that you are wrong....http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...nstrictor-Rule!

I was able to read the original link in this thread and get from the article that this act will only take import of Burms and Rocks away. Do I approve of it, no! Am I happy it doesn't include Boas and Balls, yes! Either way, we as Americans have to protect the land we live in and these two big snakes have proved to be injurious and are destroying our ecosystem. Get angry at me if you want but I somewhat agree with what they are doing. Also, these snakes are not for 90% of the people who are on this forum anyway. Especially with some of the threads I see posted by some people. Tally Ho!
    Mike

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Monica:

One of his aides did a crappy job of reading your inquiry.

This is his "stance" on constrictors and the Lacey Act:

http://amazon-alliance.com/forums/in...ic=1288.0;wap2

http://www.usark.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&p=464
    Well wth.. Nothing but a bunch of DEET DA DEEEEE's working there I see..

I did send a rather informed reply explaining how and why he/she/it/they were wrong regarding the reply I was sent.. Hopefully the "aid" reads it and gets my "here's your sign"...

Thanks

Here are some thought to ponder about this subject.

1. This is a Florida problem exclusively and should be handled in Florida by Florida law. You don't punish the entire nation for a local problem.
    2. This is being pushed by Bill Nelson Senator of Florida, PETA and HSUS.
    3. Politicians operate based on action reaction. If they ban these and there is no adverse reaction then they continue banning others believing they are safe from public backlash because they believe they are either doing this unnoticed or no one cares. It also ingratiates them to their supporters in PETA and HSUS.
    4. Regardless of your view on the keeping of large animals this issue cannot be ignored with the idea that because your animals are not on the list you are safe.
    5. I believe, based on the information I have been given, that this was a test to see if any one cares enough to make this a huge issue. If they can slide this under the radar then more may be on the way.... So please do your part to "Turn up the heat" and let them know this shouldn't happen in a free country. "At least its somewhat free for now!!!"

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    The whole 'proven to be injurious' thing? No.

Actually, there was some evidence to suggest that the Burms were replacing missing mid-level predators in the Everglades...taking up the slack for waning populations of bobcat, for example.
    What impact does that have? Well, Burms eat a lot of smaller predators, such as opossums, raccoons, rabbits, etc.
    THOSE animals eat a lot of small rodents, bird nestlings, and are quite fond of reptile eggs, which they sniff out and dig up. The small, rapidly-reproducing herbivores like rabbits destroy a lot of vegetation.
    So, the presence of the Burmese is helpful to native turtles, snakes, and probably even alligators, in spite of the few they might eat. (In turn, large alligators eat Burms).

So, while they are an invasive species in the Everglades, the idea that they are 'injurious' is pure speculation. Yes, a snake ate a couple of endangered rats. They are rats. Lots of things eat rats--gators, birds of prey, native snakes...the missing bobcats....
    Hopefully you see the point.

Burmese pythons don't even rate in the top 100 threats to the Everglades. The most horrendously damaging invasive species in the Everglades are very non-sensational and non-photogenic...they're plants.
    As has been pointed out many times, the domestic cat is one of the most terrible invasives in the country, and it certainly does a heck of lot more damage to the Everglades than the Burmese python could ever hope to.
    Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 01-18-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Markg6 (01-18-2012),zeion97 (01-18-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    Can you prove how many Burmese are they? No. There aren't a lot there especially after the cold snap... and for you to simply say that is horrid. The ban should.be on.importing. Florida can do what it wants but it shouldn't be able to control the entire u.s. it's just showing yet again how close we are to the second revolution in the u.s.... time.to.move.to Canada....
    Can you prove how many there aren't?
    They do not come from this part of the world. A big reason that there is a population to begin with is that irresposible people think, "oh hey, I'm just gonna buy this little burmese python, its so cute, omg....", and then when it grows into a 20+ foot "monster" of an animal that they can lo longer house, take care of, or contain, they opt for the easy way out and release it into the jungle.
    "hey, they come from the jungle, right.......?"
    This problem is a product of our own carelessness, and the goverment is doing their job, whether we like it or not, like they should be doing. I dont think that attempting to ban all breeds of pythons or boas is the answer, but "we" let this happen, and "we" weren't doing anything about it. Everybody is so concerned about the rights of animals, and being selfish that they cant see that there is a problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJuggles View Post
    Can you prove how many there aren't?
    They do not come from this part of the world. A big reason that there is a population to begin with is that irresposible people think, "oh hey, I'm just gonna buy this little burmese python, its so cute, omg....", and then when it grows into a 20+ foot "monster" of an animal that they can lo longer house, take care of, or contain, they opt for the easy way out and release it into the jungle.
    "hey, they come from the jungle, right.......?"
    This problem is a product of our own carelessness, and the goverment is doing their job, whether we like it or not, like they should be doing. I dont think that attempting to ban all breeds of pythons or boas is the answer, but "we" let this happen, and "we" weren't doing anything about it. Everybody is so concerned about the rights of animals, and being selfish that they cant see that there is a problem.
    So you don't think the genetics studies that link them back to the hurricane that flattened the warehouses of many repltile importers have any validity?

This wasn't caused by people releasing pets. At all.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-18-2012),zeion97 (01-18-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJuggles View Post
    They do not come from this part of the world.
    It is revisionist science fiction to propose that animals are "static" based on geography and do not move without human intervention from point A to point B. Animals end up in strange places all the time by natural means. Just recently an asian duck from China ended up in California. It got lost and flew here. In anthropology there is a theory that humans came to north america only because they were following prey items like the wooly mammoths that had extended their range into the region.

Non-native is a political term, political because not everything that is "non-native" is "injurious." There is a colony of conures in Parrot Hill in San Francisco. Are they "native" to the area? Hell no. But they have been there for decades, going on a century, without posing any environmental problem to the area.

Nonetheless these HSUS/ETA type freaks pleaded to the city to pay to have them all rounded up and killed. There was no scientific justification for this request. Simply put it was "they aren't native so kill them all." Independent research of a few residents eventually confirmed that the birds weren't a problem and for that reason the council ultimately decided not to go through with the euthanasia.

In Florida's case this is about MONEY. These bureaucrats want our tax dollars in the form of grants to "investigate" the python problem and then "fix" the python problem. Except they don't want to truly "fix" the python problem because if they do that they'll have to find something else to do for aliving. Whether the problem is really a problem to begin with is besides the point; if it's not a problem then they have one less thing to do to justify their jobs & budgets.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast