Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

0 members and 3,191 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Breeding Question

How many female ball pythons can one male ball python handle in the breeding season w/o it being unhealthy to the male.

Thanks
    I've heard of people breeding a male to up to 4 or 5 different females. The key is to make sure he has a few days rest between pairings to eat and regain strength...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inknsteel For This Useful Post:

perfectpythons (01-16-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Question

Quote Originally Posted by perfectpythons View Post
    How many female ball pythons can one male ball python handle in the breeding season w/o it being unhealthy to the male.
    Ive been breeding 3 females per male. They are handling it just fine, I imagine they could breed many and Im sure they would like to but I feel good doing it this way. Also like inknsteel pointed out as long as they can get some rest and are still eating they should be fine.
    Last edited by Domepiece; 01-16-2012 at 07:19 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Domepiece For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

It depends on the age and condition of the male and how he fares over the breeding period.

You need to keep a carefull eye on him and keep track of his weight and condition and remember to check around his vent when inspecting him.

Some males will also stop feeding during breeding so take that into account when deciding whether or not to try small or underweight males.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have a 1300 gram Fire male that has 6 girls this year, have him on a 4 days on 3 days off routine and give him 7 days off once he completes a rotation. If there is no interest after 2 days, then he moves on. I've found that the longer break turns him into a breeding machine, and as time goes on his interest starts to wane. He has also gained almost 200 grams over the breeding season, so with his older age, larger size and the fact that he is pounding food like he is building follicles; I have no issue keeping him in rotation with 6 females, but this is with careful oversight and monitering his behavior and condition. I do NOT reccommend that someone try this with a less mature, smaller male. My smaller yearling males have 1 pairing each and they are in the 600 gram range.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBig For This Useful Post:

perfectpythons (01-17-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    hi,

it depends on the age and condition of the male and how he fares over the breeding period.

You need to keep a carefull eye on him and keep track of his weight and condition and remember to check around his vent when inspecting him.

Some males will also stop feeding during breeding so take that into account when deciding whether or not to try small or underweight males.

Dr del
    x2

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Domepiece For This Useful Post:

perfectpythons (01-17-2012)