Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,992

2 members and 2,990 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Indiana Alert: House bill 1288

Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Thanks

Re: Indiana Alert: House bill 1288

So what animals are included? Is this a proposed bill or has it already passed?

EDIT: Just saw that it was in committee still.
    Last edited by AndrewGeibel; 01-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks
    (2) "Dangerous wild animal" means the following:
    (A) Except for domesticated and feral cats, all species in the family Felidae, including hybrids.
    (B) Except for domesticated dogs, all species in the family Canidae, including hybrids.
    (C) All species in the family Ursidae (bears).
    (D) All species of family Hyaenidae (hyena and aardwolf).
    (E) Nonhuman primates.
    (F) All species of family Procyonidea (raccoons, kinkajous, and coatimundis).
    (G) Elephants.
    (H) Crocodilians.
    (I) Venomous reptiles.
    (J) All species in the family Boidae (anacondas, pythons, boa constrictors).
    (K) Any other animal classified as a prohibited animal by the department.

That means even little Sand Boas and Rosy Boas.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks

Some times I am amazed at how I am protected from myself...
    Cory

Bradford Cole, Inc.
    Specializing in Rare Ball Pythons Since 1997

Thanks

Be aware if you live in Indiana:

More details on the bill, including author (Rep. Linda Lawson) whom I believe tried this in 2007-2008:
    http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/IN/HB1288

Linda Lawson's website:
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/house_...son_index.html

Members of IN House Natural Resources Committee
    http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/b...rces&chamber=H

Bills pending before the Indiana National Resources Committee
    http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/committee/1299
    Cory

Bradford Cole, Inc.
    Specializing in Rare Ball Pythons Since 1997

Thanks
    As many of you may know, there is a ban about to be passed in Indiana that will prohibit the sales and ownership of listed species and families of animals, AND any other animal deemed unfit by the department. Included in the ban are all species of the family Boidae, which contains Pythons and Boas. These animals are considered dangerous. Any animals given up to authorities, confiscated, etc. by this new law will be DESTROYED. Animal Bans are gaining momentum across our nation. Even if you don't live in Indiana your state could be next.

Please, as snake lovers, as citizens, and as human beings, TAKE ACTION!!! One way you can help is to directly write Indiana Representative Ms. Lawson. If you do not have the time, ability, etc. to compose a proper letter, there will be a sample letter and petition on change.org soon. I'm in collaberation with a friend who is a writer to draw up a dignified letter and petition to represent those of us who want and need it. I will be posting the letter and link to the petition ASAP.

Please keep up with this forum for them, or email me a request for the info at visceralrepulsion@yahoo.com. I will get back to you shortly. I hope I myself, Indiana natives, and our other citizens of the United States can count on you to help. Don't sit back while hundreds of thousands of animals are torn from their homes and vanquished. Don't wait for this ban to effect you personally. BE AN ACTIVIST, NOT A PASCIFIST.

This ban is only the tip of the iceburg. Next the government will be taking our dog ownership rights, or any othe right they can. If we give an inch, they WILL take a mile. There are already strict laws in effect to prohibit, or monitor the ownership of Staffordshire terriers, a.k.a. "pitbulls". These types of laws are about ignorance, fear propaganda, and hate. If our "representatives" did their homework, they wouldn't think a 2ft Sand Boa is "dangerous". They would be more worried about BEES, who kill 533 people annually. They are the top committer of fatal attacks on humans from animals. Next? Dogs, who committ 208 fatal attacks annually. Can you fathom how many fatal attacks are carried out by non-venomous snakes yearly? The astonishing number is .5, or 1/2 a person. It takes on average 2yrs. for one person to be fatally injured by a non-venomous snake. Do your math, and in one year more dogs kill humans than have been killed by non-venomous snakes in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the United States. Though these statistics do change, that number has went UP since the beginning of our nation, our nation in its infancy, and even in its first 200 years. Snakes are the #1 phobia of Americans. Don't support propaganda that says "Burmese Pythons predicted to take over 1/3 of the United States!". Help educate people about snakes, this ban, and our rights as people living in what is supposed to be the most free nation in the world. In reality anyone who is not ignorant knows this hate-crime being lashed out upon snakes is driven by an engine of fear and misguidance by our top "advisors", who are in the pockets of our officials. We as herpers, including your average Joe, know that Pythons and Boas would not survive an upper midwestern climate change like they would encounter if released, posing virtually no threat to the ecosystem, and as statistics show, almost none to humans in general. Even snakes in the everglades are being wiped out during cold-fronts. They are on borrowed time. Like sands in an hourglass, their time is coming to an end. Coming to and end too is your time to act. So please, ACT, stay posted, stay educated, and stay on the outskirts of society, it's the best place to be! Thanks for your time!!!

Registered User Gudes Animal House's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been in contact with Linda Lawson for about 4 months now. We were discussing how to refine this bill in an effort to make it "make sense" while maintaining a safe environment for our community. These were of course our main objectives. The goal for Representative Lawson was NOT to ban these reptiles, but honestly to make sure our communities were safe. I believe she just needed a little help in refining this bill. Having said that, I have some good news for now. This is a quote from Rep. Lawson earlier this morning. "As you know the bill did not receive a hearing last session . The only way this bill will ever see the light of day is if I resurrect it and that will not happen next year and I have no intentions of doing that. It doesn't mean however, that I don't believe that some changes and regulations need to occur with the ownership, sales and care of exotic animals but, it will not happen in the 2013 session. This is a win for Indiana for now. But I have confidence that if/when this comes back up, we can collaborate to help the community in a more realistic way. Thanks for everyone's help!
    Tony Gude

Thanks
    Glad to hear it's being revised. Classifying all pythons and boas as "dangerous animals" in the same category as bears and elephants is just completely onsensical.