Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,481

2 members and 1,479 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

How Are Things selling These Days?

Not meaning to pry into anyone's private business ventures but after speaking with a professional dog breeder recently I thought it might be an interesting discussion.

Several of our regular customers who breed/used to breed dogs or cats have been reducing their litters or have outright stopped breeding for a few years due to the current economy. Several have taken up rescuing instead, and one gentleman who used to breed and show German Shepherds has dedicated his kennels to boarding instead.

My experiences are entirely anecdotal, but I thought this was interesting. Working at a major animal chain store I transferred to a new store which opened shortly before the economy really tanked. The newer store has always had more available animals, but we sell fewer animals. Admittedly a lot of it could have to do with the area, the staff being better educated, etc. People seem to adopting far less from the dog and cat rescues too, and spending the money instead on accessories for the pets they already own.

So I thought it would be interesting to hear what's going on in the herp world. Are you selling less than what you used to? Have you had to keep more of your unsold stock, and has it affected your breeding operation? Have you had to move into other areas of the trade to make money? Have you delayed starting up a business until things improve? How about large shows and expos, have they shifted their focus or have regulars been missing? Or anything else that's been on your mind about the subject.
    "Courage is the price which life exacts for granting peace..."
    -Amelia Earhart

0.1 Normal Ball Python (Crowley), 1.0 Orange Tabby Cat (Momo), 1.0 Betta (Finch)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't been in the hobby long enough to really answer your questions, and I don't have any high end morphs, but all of my snakes were sold within 2 months of their hatch date. I actually found it a lot easier to sell normals in this area than morphs. The morphs still sold within a couple months of putting them up for sale.