Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,814

2 members and 2,812 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Feeding during breeding.

During breeding season, how long will you breed a snake who's off feed?

I have a breeding pair where the female's been off feed for 50 days, and the male has been off for nearly 40. I've been doing the 2-3 days in, 3 days out cycle, and each feeding has been refused. They've been paired on and off since about the middle of November.
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Normally if the male isn't losing weight then I keep breeding, and eve if the male starts to skinny out a bit I will keep breeding him. Last year I pulled my original male spider from breeding because he got really thin and I didn't want to risk his health.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

JulieInNJ (01-10-2012)

Thanks

Re: Feeding during breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieInNJ View Post
    During breeding season, how long will you breed a snake who's off feed?

I have a breeding pair where the female's been off feed for 50 days, and the male has been off for nearly 40. I've been doing the 2-3 days in, 3 days out cycle, and each feeding has been refused. They've been paired on and off since about the middle of November.
    Do you pair them every three days? If so, I would just let them be for a few weeks. They really dont need to be paired that often, I really only have each pair together every 4-6 weeks
    Dylan -- Reese Reptiles

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dreese88 For This Useful Post:

coldbloodaddict (01-10-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreese88 View Post
    Do you pair them every three days?
    No, they're in for 2, maybe three days, then they have at least 3 days off (usually more because I'm on a 8-9 day feeding cycle and I always pair them after a feeding day if they've refused, or 2 days after if they've eaten).

He's out now, so I may grab a weight on him just too see how he's doing. He's a love machine, lol.
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just depends on if the male loses a significant amount of weight and if I can get them to take at least a couple of meals during the season. Last season i had a male go off for a little over 3 months, I stopped breeding him in the end but overall he didnt lose much body mass and probably would have been fine to finish out the season but I didnt know how long his hunger strike would last so I pulled him out of the game. Havnt had that problem this season, all are still eating but I didnt lower temps this season and decided to feed live instead of F/T so that might be why. Also try giving them a little longer after separating before feeding. Mine generally wont eat the next day after being separated but they will on the second or third day.
    Last edited by Domepiece; 01-10-2012 at 06:32 PM.