Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,549

1 members and 2,548 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I'm seeing more BCC in that snake. It's probably a mix of some sort that will be impossible to nail down with certainty but if it were BCI I'd expect a more subdued tail and a greater number of saddles. Here's an excellent site that describes BCI and BCC, they even go so far as to offer descriptions for the localities as well, pictures included!

http://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/b...or_constrictor

2. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

WifeOfSlasher (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks John1982! I've been reading through that site.

If the count is from head to vent... 20 saddles. Actual saddles... there's only 13. How do you count saddles?
    Ange'... A wife and a mom to seven trouble makers

2.1 munchkins , 0.1 cat "Shadow" MIA , 0.1 sun conure "Sunshine", 1.0 normal '10 BP "Julius", and 1.0 BCCxBCI '11 RTB "Ranjan"

~ No one is fancy but we love them none the less ~

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Exactly why I said in your other thread that I think he's a mix. I believe he's most likely half N half. He does show strong BCC influence. The 13 saddles, the head shape, the color and drastic color changes. But he is also lacking some key characteristics. Eyelash markings, connected saddles (the line along the sides which usually appears on the ones who lack major peaks), any peaks.

While my own Suri lacks many peaks, most of her peaks connected to form partial stripes. Perfect peaked saddles are not always THE indicator for BCC but don't get worked up over it.

So what if it's a Colombian or a mix. Honestly if the person it originally came from said Colombian that's what it is. Wether it has other blood mixed in there or not.

If you ever do decide to breed boas, unfortunately you won't be able to market it's offspring as anything other than BCI but that doesn't mean you can't mix it with some awesome BCI genes. Like albino, motley, etc..

Like another poster said, give it time. Age, color, size, may all tell you eventually if it is more likely to have BCC in there.

The housing differences are not drastic enough to matter. Mine is kept in a Boaphile cage stack with other snake species in the stack and she favors the hot side. saying they like it cooler doesn't apply to her.

Thanks

Re: May I preach to the choir for a moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    But he is also lacking some key characteristics. Eyelash markings, connected saddles (the line along the sides which usually appears on the ones who lack major peaks), any peaks.
    His head is so light in color. I think I see some markings above the eyes but I just can't tell. I am so excited to see his pattern and markings develop as he gets older. He does have a grand total of 4 peaks lol but no complete connection between his saddles. My pictures suck. Little booger does not sit still like ever.

The housing differences are not drastic enough to matter.
    This is good to know and what was my major concern. Others seem to think that it is a big deal and thus why I am/was concerned. Thank you for letting me know that in all reality I don't need to worry about those differences.
    Last edited by WifeOfSlasher; 01-09-2012 at 08:15 PM.

2.1 munchkins , 0.1 cat "Shadow" MIA , 0.1 sun conure "Sunshine", 1.0 normal '10 BP "Julius", and 1.0 BCCxBCI '11 RTB "Ranjan"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    The tail screams BCC to me, but I'm still on the fence. And know that not all BCCs have the {} shaped/peaked saddles, some have the the )( saddles as well and yet they are still a BCC.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Exactly why I said in your other thread that I think he's a mix. I believe he's most likely half N half. He does show strong BCC influence. The 13 saddles, the head shape, the color and drastic color changes. But he is also lacking some key characteristics. Eyelash markings, connected saddles (the line along the sides which usually appears on the ones who lack major peaks), any peaks.

While my own Suri lacks many peaks, most of her peaks connected to form partial stripes. Perfect peaked saddles are not always THE indicator for BCC but don't get worked up over it.

So what if it's a Colombian or a mix. Honestly if the person it originally came from said Colombian that's what it is. Wether it has other blood mixed in there or not.

If you ever do decide to breed boas, unfortunately you won't be able to market it's offspring as anything other than BCI but that doesn't mean you can't mix it with some awesome BCI genes. Like albino, motley, etc..

Like another poster said, give it time. Age, color, size, may all tell you eventually if it is more likely to have BCC in there.

The housing differences are not drastic enough to matter. Mine is kept in a Boaphile cage stack with other snake species in the stack and she favors the hot side. saying they like it cooler doesn't apply to her.
    Very well said and I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by WifeOfSlasher View Post
    This is good to know and what was my major concern. Others seem to think that it is a big deal and thus why I am/was concerned. Thank you for letting me know that in all reality I don't need to worry about those differences.
    I still tend to recommend a 6x2 for a BCC, but as Foschi said, the housing requirements are not significant enough to be a concern. And a male BCC (and we've already established its a boy) should be just fine in a 4x2. I apologize if I made it seem like the caging differences were a big deal - they aren't.

There are actually fewer differences between a BCC and BCI than one would think. All in all, they are ALL Central American Boas and their care is pretty much the same as dictated by their native environment. Not that it really matters in the end, but I do believe yours is a BCC or at least a mix of BCC and BCI blood. You don't see a tail like that on a BCI without some BCC influence....

I'm sorry you had to deal with a jerk when inquiring for more information. In a perfect world, we'd all be dealing with conscientious and respectable breeders who care about every animal they produce. I had a feeling this was the attitude you'd get though. Good breeders don't usually sell to pet stores - even good pet stores.

Enjoy your little guy - whatever he is! He is super nice and will be an awesome pet for you!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Once he reaches about 1 year or so in age, you will definitely be able to tell whether he is BCC / BCI by the shape of his head...

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX using Tapatalk.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    I apologize if I made it seem like the caging differences were a big deal - they aren't.
    You didn't, no worries

I'm sorry you had to deal with a jerk when inquiring for more information. In a perfect world, we'd all be dealing with conscientious and respectable breeders who care about every animal they produce. I had a feeling this was the attitude you'd get though. Good breeders don't usually sell to pet stores - even good pet stores.
    Yeah... I told my husband that we won't be making that mistake again. I had a brief love affair with the thought of getting one of the coral albino females they had there. The guys are really nice and they appear to be reputable but I was already given a huge amount of misinformation.

Enjoy your little guy - whatever he is! He is super nice and will be an awesome pet for you!
    Thanks hon I will. I will also be sure to bomb from time to time with better pics.

Thanks
    Usually when a Boa is labeled Colombian, it's BCI
    Last edited by decensored; 01-09-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks
    Here is my Colombian BCI 4 y/o sub adult so you can get an idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast