Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,119

1 members and 3,118 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

What exactly classifies a paradox as a paradox?

I've been having some back and fourths with my friends regarding the paradox morph which as far as I know, the genetics for are more or less unknown so for the most part, classifying a paradox goes mostly off of the snake's physical appearance.
    Is there any specific standard for what a paradox needs to look like to be considered a paradox, because I'm sure as you all know, there are a lot of different paradoxes and sometimes, distinguishing them from run of the mill pie balds can get a little challenging. Especially when you delve into the world of paradox-pieds which is just a whole new level of mindblown.

For example, I personally think this paradox Ivory could easily be mistaken for a pie bald with minimal patterning so I'm just wondering how people make the distinction.

Also, on another related topic, are some of the black eyed leucistics/super fires at Constrictors Unlimited considered paradoxes because from what I've seen is that some of them come out with yellow patches (some more than others).

It'd be great if I could get clarification on all of this.

Thanks
    I would like to know too because what I thought was a shatter pattern everyone is now calling it a paradox? And I was pretty sure shatter was dominant and paradox was just random but whenever I tell someone its a shatter they just tell me its paradox
    1.0 black pastel dh ghost clown 'Ezio'
    1.0 "dinker" 'Coco'
    1.0 pastel lesser het clown 'Link'
    1.0 enchi het albino 'Master Chief'
    1.0 sable het hypo 'Sephiroth'
    1.0 bumblebee het hypo 'Leon'
    0.1 lesser het ghost 'Zelda'
    0.1 Mojave 'Tifa Lockhart'
    0.1 normal dh ghost clown 'Sophia'
    0.2 normal 'Baby' & 'Yuna'

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Paradox is NOT a trait that breeds true, that's the first thing to understand about it. There are a number of theories on what a paradox is, but my favorite is this:

Chimerism occurs when two embryos fuse shortly after they begin to divide. The result is a patchwork or mosaic of two sets of DNA in a single embryo. Essentially, it is twins that have merged to become one animal. The result is an animal that appears to be put together from patches of two different animals. When one of the animals was an ivory, and the other was a yellowbelly, you get a paradox ivory.
    How do you know it's not a piebald? Well, obviously, a piebald doesn't suddenly appear when you're breeding yellowbellies.

Usually, the reproductive organs in a chimera will be only from one twin or the other--so, until you breed it, you do not know whether the chimera is reproductively a yellowbelly, or an ivory. This is true of all chimeric paradoxes.

Now, it's quite likely that chimerism is not the only explanation for paradoxes, and the above won't apply to snakes that are paradox due to other causes.

By general definition, a snake is a paradox if it shows signs that it's two things at once--that it has contradictory markings. For example, an ivory should be all white--for it to have a patch of brown is genetically impossible, hence it is a paradox. BEL snakes or albinos that have black streaks, are another example--their genetics should never allow them to have melanin. It means that something in the animal--but only in PART of the animal--isn't the same as the rest of it. It has, either due to chimerism, mutation, or other cause, more than one set of genes in its body. It has patches of genes that allow it to produce colors that the rest cannot.

This is distinctly different from a piebald, that is supposed to be patches of colors and white. Now, if you had a piebald that was patches of white and color, but part of it had perfect regular patterning...that would be a paradox, because the piebald gene should smear the patterning, and it if doesn't, that means the genes there aren't piebald genes.

Hope this helped!
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

JulieInNJ (01-09-2012),meowmeowkazoo (01-08-2012),MisterKyte (01-08-2012),SpencerShanks (01-08-2012),VEXER19 (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    From what I understand it's when a snake shows something it shouldn't. Winged Wolf's post cleared this up a lot for me. I think that most paradox snakes look really cool.

Thanks

Re: What exactly classifies a paradox as a paradox?

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerShanks View Post
    From what I understand it's when a snake shows something it shouldn't. Winged Wolf's post cleared this up a lot for me. I think that most paradox snakes look really cool.
    so is a ringer a paradox?
    spooky

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

meganmarkita15 (09-20-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: What exactly classifies a paradox as a paradox?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.spooky View Post
    so is a ringer a paradox?
    spooky
    nope

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterKyte View Post

Also, on another related topic, are some of the black eyed leucistics/super fires at Constrictors Unlimited considered paradoxes because from what I've seen is that some of them come out with yellow patches (some more than others).

No. Many lines of Super Fires will show yellow. Brian Gundy's line has yellow dorsal stripes. He also says the yellow is part of the 'true' Super Fire morph.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My understanding of a paradox is that it is a non-genetic anomaly of the genetic pattern. The most extreme examples I can think of are pics I've seen of albinos that have spots of normal colored pattern. I would post pics, but don't want to hotlink to pics I don't own. Do a google search for Albino Paradox Ball Python and you'll see several examples.
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+