Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,462

1 members and 3,461 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Guyana RTB - any special tips?

I've done tons and TONS of reading but I am wondering if there is anything special I need to keep in mind for a BBC vs a BCI. I spoke to the snake person from where I got my little guy and from what he said it appears that I happened upon a Guyana RTB. I have an email into where he is from so hopefully I will have some definitive answers on him soon.
    Ange'... A wife and a mom to seven trouble makers

2.1 munchkins , 0.1 cat "Shadow" MIA , 0.1 sun conure "Sunshine", 1.0 normal '10 BP "Julius", and 1.0 BCCxBCI '11 RTB "Ranjan"

~ No one is fancy but we love them none the less ~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I don't think there's anything in particular you need to do differently. I have heard that BCCs can be a bit touchier with husbandry than BCIs and can be slightly more tempermental. But take that with a grain of salt - we all know they are individuals and nothing is a hard and fast rule.

But taking these things into consideration, and also considering that BCCs can be a bit larger than BCIs, I would make sure your adult enclosure is sizable. My personal recommendation for a BCC would be a 6x2' pvc enclosure. I think that the extra space helps to keep your BCC happier and healthier. Just my thoughts!

Congrats on your baby and we want to see pictures!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks
    You ask and you shall receive! None of them are great. Every time I try to get pics with a decent camera he is off and running. Lol. I need to get the two better pics off my dad's camera.

Now... It is entirely possible that he is not what I have been told. I am really hoping to get more of a definitive answer on him soon. It figures that I would have a controversial snake.

Good shots of his pinks, grey, and red tail.

Top shot. Shows most of his pattern.

Head shot

Soooo little!!! This is when I got him two weeks ago. He has a long mustang and little goatee.

2.1 munchkins , 0.1 cat "Shadow" MIA , 0.1 sun conure "Sunshine", 1.0 normal '10 BP "Julius", and 1.0 BCCxBCI '11 RTB "Ranjan"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Very nice looking boa!!!
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks
    Awww! He's super cute!

And he is most certainly a BCC. He doesn't have significant peaks in his saddle pattern, but his tail is a dead giveaway. Although whether he's Guyanan or Surinam or some other local - that's nearly impossible to tell just by looking at him. You mentioned you have an email in to where he came from. I would be interested to hear what the breeder (?) has to say about him. Unfortunately, without documentation, we probably won't know for certain - although I would hazard to guess that he is not a surinam as they usually do have much more pronounced peaks in the pattern.

Are you sure he's a male? If so, he should be ok (as an adult) in a 4x2 enclosure, but if 'he' turns out to be a 'she' then definitely go with a 6x2.

Thanks for the pics! He really is nice!
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I don't know.. In my opinion he looks like he could be a mix. Where did you get him?

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Well, the more I look at him he does look a lot like a locale but to say for certain that it's a Suri or Guyana without having a definite breeder is never going to be possible.

You also can't rule out the other BCC's. Peruvian's, Brazilian's, Venezuelan's..

Suriname & Guyana are not the only BCC there are and they can look similar.

It is a beautiful little snake whatever he is.

Thanks
    Thanks everyone! A specialty pet store lol From what I was told they get all of their snakes from The Reptile Man here in the PNW. He is the one I got the email into. I'm really hoping he knows something. Apparently all of his reptiles are rescues, captured from the great outdoors , given to him by breeders, etc.

I'm not sure he's and he. Some part of me keeps thinking a she but maybe that's all the pink. I thought I saw what looked like very prominant anal spurs but they look absolutely nothing like the spurs on our BP that hide under either side of the vent. The tail thins out almost immediately after the vent. Heck, we don't even know for sure if our BP Julius is not a Julia.

Anyone have any pics of the anal vent/tail area of male and female boas around 6 months old?

Thanks

Re: Guyana RTB - any special tips?

Quote Originally Posted by WifeOfSlasher View Post
    Thanks everyone! A specialty pet store lol From what I was told they get all of their snakes from The Reptile Man here in the PNW. He is the one I got the email into. I'm really hoping he knows something. Apparently all of his reptiles are rescues, captured from the great outdoors , given to him by breeders, etc.

I'm not sure he's and he. Some part of me keeps thinking a she but maybe that's all the pink. I thought I saw what looked like very prominant anal spurs but they look absolutely nothing like the spurs on our BP that hide under either side of the vent. The tail thins out almost immediately after the vent. Heck, we don't even know for sure if our BP Julius is not a Julia.

Anyone have any pics of the anal vent/tail area of male and female boas around 6 months old?
    Sounds like the "Reptile Man" really isn't going to know for sure about the history on this little guy. No offense, but it isn't likely he'd know or that anything he might be able to tell you would be reliable. Even so, your baby is great and you're going to love having a boa - they are awesome!

You won't be able to tell whether he's a 'he' or a 'she' from the anal vent. Some snakes have more significant spurs than others whether they're male or female. The only way to know 100% is to pop or probe. If you know a reputable expert near you, they might be able to show you how (NEVER try to pop or probe without an expert to show you how - you can hurt your snake if you do it wrong). That is, if it matters to you to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Well, the more I look at him he does look a lot like a locale but to say for certain that it's a Suri or Guyana without having a definite breeder is never going to be possible.

You also can't rule out the other BCC's. Peruvian's, Brazilian's, Venezuelan's..

Suriname & Guyana are not the only BCC there are and they can look similar.

It is a beautiful little snake whatever he is.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't ruling out any of the locals - that's why I said "whether he's Guyanan or Surinam or some other local..." And you're right - he could be a "mix." Without documentation from the original breeder, it's impossible to know for sure.
    ~ Kali

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks
    Yeah... I'm not counting on any definitive answers but one can hope right? Maybe he knows who the breeder is? I don't know and really... only concerned about husbandry more than anything. The consensus does seem to point to at very least a very strong BCC influence.

Sexing... from what I have read probing and popping aren't that great of an option for young boas. Here's what I see and feel - After the vent the taper begins almost immediately. When I do the touch method I feel absolutely nothing after the vent and pelvis, both myself and my husband. The tail looks long? But then I'm not sure about what constitutes long in a boa. I also don't see any anal spurs but then I have a 25.5" little guy so they may be impossible to see. Any guesses?

Here's how I did it - http://www.redtailboas.com/f15/sexing-newbornes-53676/ This seems to be the more popular method suggested by these guys for young snakes

http://www.redtailboas.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast