Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

2 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Paper sent.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Royal Hijinx For This Useful Post:

YOSEF (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: RED ALERT: Stop Federal Python BAN!

If anyone thinks that this doesn't apply to them, because they don't own one of "The 9", think about it. The first eight snakes listed are specific animals. Boa Constrictor is not a specific name, but a sub-species that contains 10 more snakes. Now the list suddenly increases from "The 9" to "The 19". Here they are:

1) Boa Constrictor Constrictor (BCC)
    2) Boa Constrictor Imperator (BCI)
    3) Boa Constrictor Amarali
    4) Boa Constrictor Longicauda
    5) Boa Constrictor Melanogaster
    6) Boa Constrictor Nebulosa
    7) Boa Constrictor Occidentalis
    8) Boa Constrictor Orophias
    9) Boa Constrictor Ortonii
    10) Boa Constrictor Sabogae

At a minimum, the proposed ban list includes all red-tails, island boas, and dwarf boas. I haven't been able to find the exact text of the bill, to find out exactly what their definition of Boa Constrictor is.
    If they are using the term Boa Constrictor to describe the sub-family Boinae, then you can add all of the tree boas, rainbow boas, rubber boas, Rosy Boas, and the three Madagascar boas to the list as well, which would add approximately 35 more snakes to the list. So, now it goes from "The 9" to "The 54".
    If their definition of the term Boa Constrictor describes the family Boidae, then you can also add all of the sand boas to that list.

That list does not ban "only 9 snakes" or just the "big ones". It's no secret that they are gunning for the whole industry.
    Last edited by Vypyrz; 01-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

Ang (01-10-2012),Evenstar (01-08-2012),heathers*bps (01-08-2012),perfectpythons (01-16-2012),YOSEF (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Sent. I wish these idiots would stop telling us what we can and can't do.
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieInNJ For This Useful Post:

YOSEF (01-05-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ER12 View Post
    RED ALERT: Stop Federal Python BAN!
    This is the final push in the BIG FIGHT to stop the Boa and Python BAN! This BIG FIGHT has been 4 years in the making (since 2008) ... Help USARK put the Python Ban to rest in 2012! Please participate and help the Reptile Nation overcome the most devistating attack the Herp Community has ever faced!! Please read and follow the instructions to ensure your voice is heard by President Obama, the US Congress and the US Senate.

US Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) has a proposed rule being considered by the White House Office of Management & Budget (OMB). This is the final stage of the rule making process. This rule, if enacted, would ban the import and interstate transport of nine constricting snakes; Burmese python, Northern & Southern African pythons, Reticulated python, all four Anacondas, and Boa constrictor. This rule has been called the "Constrictor Rule". All of these constrictors would be added to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. If this were to happen more than 1 million American citizens could be subject to felony prosecution under the Lacey Act. It is the job of OMB to weigh the purported benefits of the rule against the economic impacts. It is also their duty to assure the rule has been given due process under the Administrative Procedures Act, Information Quality Act and all pertinent Executive Orders. USARK has created a clear public record that FWS has failed at every level to make their case for this rule. According to emails obtained by USARK it appears that staff at FWS colluded with staff at the US Geological Survey (USGS) to manufacture "science" to support this rule making after the decision had already been made to pursue a Lacey Act listing. Further, FWS grossly underestimated the economic impact. USGS has justified their flawed "science" by saying they were not required to adhere to information quality standards for science used to support the rule because the rule did not meet the standard for a major rule making ($100 million). An economic assessment of the Modern Reptile Industry commissioned by USARK, and done by Georgetown Economic Services, has since debunked USGS claims by asserting that the rule could have impact in excess of $103 million. USARK believes the actions of FWS and USGS in regards to the Constrictor Rule are arbitrary, capricious and potentially unlawful.

Please send the letter below to President Obama and your Senators and Congressmen to let them know you are aware of the actions of FWS and the negative impact on you, your family and business. Just follow the simple instructions.

Do it now and share with all your friends, family, social networks, forums and email lists! This is your chance to make a difference and help USARK set a positive precedent for our industry.
    united-states-association-of-reptile-keepers.rallycongress.com/5799/no-on-fws-python-rule-bad-american-small-business-families-alread/
    SENT ! We should be able to keep our snakes!
    BORNEOS BABY, JUST BORNEOS.

Thanks
    Already got one response;

January 6, 2012

Dear Ms. Gath,

Thank you for contacting me about efforts to ban the importation of certain snake species into the United States. I appreciate hearing from you.

Specific to your concerns, Representative Thomas Rooney (R-FL) introduced H.R. 511 on January 26, 2011. Among its provisions, H.R. 511 would amend the federal criminal code to prohibit the importation of pythons, boa constrictors, and anacondas into the United States.

Currently, the bill is pending before the House Judiciary Committee. I understand your concerns about this bill and the impacts it may have on the domestic reptile industry. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as this measure progresses through the legislative process.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Signature

Pat Toomey
    U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sgath92 For This Useful Post:

Anya (01-08-2012)

Thanks

Did anyone else get a response? I sent one, my fiancée sent one. We just can't send hard copies.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Sent emails and payed for the printed letters. Thanks for putting this to everyones attention.

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Sent emails sorry i am unable to send hard. but i got a reply. already here it is:

Dear Tylyn,

Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts about current issues. Please be assured that constituent correspondence will receive a reply in the near future.

Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
    U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

Thanks
    Signed, sent emails, paid for hard copies. We gotta take this thing down, trying to police a pet industry highlighted in their eyes only because of the hype of how "scary" the animals are rather than how lethal/dangerous (dog maulings vs deaths due to reptiles anyone?) is ridiculous. Plus the encouragement of HSUS and PETA, but that's a different can of worms altogether

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentine Pirate For This Useful Post:

Anya (01-08-2012),heathers*bps (01-08-2012)

BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    My letters have been sent. I hope our efforts put this ban to rest!
    Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast