Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,192

0 members and 1,192 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Constrictor Rule Comment Open

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KingObeat For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-30-2014),Bluebonnet Herp (06-29-2014),Marrissa (07-01-2014),OsirisRa32 (06-28-2014),Rob (06-28-2014)

Thanks
    Sent mine last night. Thank you for posting!
    Alluring Constrictors

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Sent mine!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Druzy For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (07-02-2014)

Thanks

Re: Constrictor Rule Comment Open

My comment- I was trying to refrain from being aggressive, but oh my gosh I was so mad:

Hello, my name is ----- -------------,

I believe that the addition of reticulated pythons, green anacondas and boa constrictors to the Injurious Invasive Act is not only an absolute violation of American rights, but an insult to the very large population of people who own them. These species cannot survive in 2/3 of our states or even more if you would like to be specific. They are not indigenous to our country or our environment and in almost all cases will die from incorrect temperatures, humidity and lack of consistent prey. There is a massive stigma surrounding reptiles, especially snakes. For some reason it has been the aim of the United States government to eradicate the larger snakes (boas, reticulated pythons, anacondas, burmese, ect.) from the pet trade and homes of the American people.

The incidents in Florida are isolated. To compare the environmental stress of one or a few states to the remaining 49 or slightly less (if you are counting other hypothetical states such as Georgia) is completely unfounded. It is a violation against the people and the people are the ones who rule the final dictation. Or at least that is how it was originally set in place centuries ago with our founding fathers. The media is simply a tool of propaganda that only highlights the incorrect information on these animals. These species cannot survive outside of a select amount of states, so why on earth the government feels the God given right to ban them from crossing all 50, I cannot even fathom. Because it is the God given right of the people to own them if they are responsible, caring, knowledgeable and abiding to regulations.

I can understand regulation. I cannot accept a ban, further I will not accept it. The government has skipped every method of people's choice and skipped right to banning their freedoms. How about educational programs? Or a license requirement to own reptiles over 10ft? I could accept that if it were put in place by the people. Anything is better than a ban instilled by government officials who do not understand these animals and likely choose not to.

Freedoms are fought for and rarely received. It now seems they are taken away as easily as a child's toy. This ban is insulting.

EDIT: Hid my name ;x
    Last edited by Painted; 07-02-2014 at 11:53 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Painted For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-03-2014),Marrissa (07-03-2014)

Thanks

Re: Constrictor Rule Comment Open

I just wrote and deleted about 5 different letters. I get too upset since this hits on several different things that upset me... Maybe I'll write something later.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alan12013 For This Useful Post:

Painted (07-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Hey guys, if you're going to comment the regulators need some hard numbers and/or facts. Examples:
    - The Everglades are not "overrun" by large constrictor snakes; in the python hunt in Florda last year, 1500 volunteers only found 68 snakes in 30 days (Source: ABC News), and groups like Swamp Apes are finding three per month on average (source http://news.yahoo.com/battle-evergla...opstories.html).
    - The snakes listed can not establish populations in most states due to the environment; these are tropical species that sicken and die at low temperatures.
    - Adverse economic impact of adding these snakes to the Lacy Act: How much do you spend on your snake hobby each year on average, and where do you spend it? Include feeders, supplies, vet bills, shipping, travel, tools (if you DIY), etc.
    - If you're in the reptile/animal business, adverse economic impact on your business - will it shut you down, loss of tax revenue to the state/feds, etc.
    - Public safety concerns of having to keep the animals within a state. Example: my closest exotic vet is an hour away in Virginia but I'm in West Virginia. The closest in-state exotic vet is five hours away. How does adding eight hours of travel time increase public safety?
    - The Lacy Act was passed to protect endangered species in other countries by prohibiting smuggling of animals from their native ranges into the US. The species up for consideration are not endangered.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

alan12013 (07-03-2014),kat612 (07-03-2014),Marrissa (07-03-2014),Painted (07-03-2014)