Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

2 members and 3,219 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Can anybody help me?

My female bp is either breeder or almost breeder. I don't have scales to weigh her yet but I know she's almost or there. I noticed a little bit ago, one of her "barbs" was out about 1/8 of an inch and it was wagging like a dog's tail. I gotta tell ya, it was hilarious. Anyway, my question is, does this have anything to do with being ready to breed? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks

Re: Can anybody help me?

im not sure if thats any way to tell... i think that most people wont breed females until there 1500+ grams. a scale is handy, and if you are concitering breeding, youll need one anyway to monitor the weight of hatchlings
    spooky

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

What do you mean by "barbs"? Are you talking about the spurs or something coming out of the cloaca?
    Knowledge is earned not learned.

Thanks
    Are you sure she's a she? If by "barb" you mean one of the spurs (the claw-like objects on either side of the vent) - it's usually the males who move them back and forth when they're courting a female. Or sometime they'll crawl around their cage alone spurring the substrate. I've not seen females "wagging" their spurs, but I'm sure plenty goes on that we never witness - until someone does notice.
    -Joan

Thanks

Well he is a male. Was told he was a female. I just recently got good at popping and I just checked him. Everybody learn from my mistake....NEVER TRUST PEOPLE ON CRAIGSLIST!! I'm not to mad about it, I only paid 50 for him but that just screwed me out of my first clutch. I've been working so hard trying to get "her" to breeder size before the season ended. Oh well, my fire morph will be ready by next season.

PS...I did mean "spurs". I couldn't remember exactly what they were called. lol
    Last edited by brdash549; 12-26-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brdash549 View Post
    Well he is a male. Was told he was a female. I just recently got good at popping and I just checked him. Everybody learn from my mistake....NEVER TRUST PEOPLE ON CRAIGSLIST!! I'm not to mad about it, I only paid 50 for him but that just screwed me out of my first clutch. I've been working so hard trying to get "her" to breeder size before the season ended. Oh well, my fire morph will be ready by next season.

PS...I did mean "spurs". I couldn't remember exactly what they were called. lol
    You can't trust anyone on Craigslist, most of them barely know how to take care of a bp, let alone properly sex one.

You can generally trust what a breeder says, but even then mistakes are made here in there. The best practice is to sex the snake before you buy it, or sex it as soon as you get home.