Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,779

1 members and 2,778 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

View Poll Results: Have you ever caught salmonella from your reptiles?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, despite having taken all efforts to prevent it.

1 0.69%
  • Yes, but I wasn't too careful about avoiding it in the first place.

1 0.69%
  • No, and I take all measures to make sure I never do.

32 22.07%
  • No... Even though I am not as careful about avoiding it as I could be.

111 76.55%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran Jonas@Balls2TheWall's Avatar
    Thanks
    I take measures to never catch any disease from my snakes or anything else for that matter. I always wash my hands after handling/cleaning and I have dedicated tools like tongs, scales scrubbing sponges etc that don't get used for anything but the snakes. I have had a couple mistakes happen, I guess the worst would be the squirt of piss I got directly in my mouth when popping a juvie once, I had no ill effects from it. I take the same measures to not get my snakes sick. Anyone that comes over must use some germ X before handling one of the snakes and my rats only come from reputable breeders.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have never had it, but if I did I would guess that it was from chicken/eggs. I've had bps for a bit over 3 years and lizards for several years before that.

Thanks

Re: Salmonella. Have YOU caught it from your reptiles?

I caught It from our bp a little while back. Not a bad case, but still did. The truth is I am what my family sees as "overboard" cooking wise. But being a chef I take pride... I will state, you have. Higher chance catching salmonella from RAW chicken or POORLY cooked chicken then you do eggs. And to this... if it still is right, you have a better chance catching salmonella from your reptiles then foods. (As of last year but food born illness cones nd goes with time)
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    I've had my snakes for almost 5 years and no one in my household has ever had salmonella. I too am more concerned about my food then my herps.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycatpenut View Post
    No, but I've only kept reptiles for less than a year. I think the whole salmonella thing is way exaggerated, because my sister licks them and hasn't contracted it. Also some times I'll forget to wash my hands. I agree that you're much more likely to get it from food than a reptile/bird.
    May I ask why your sister licks them? Lol

Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses! I hope a lot more people answer as well, it will be interesting to see what the stats are on this site

Thanks
    I've kept snakes for 15+ years and never once have I worried about salmonella. I am very cautious with my collection and never intermingle snake time and food time.

Immediately after checking, cleaning, handling, or feeding I use a sanitizer. This is followed by a full wash in the sink. The sanitizer simply prevents "innocent" contamination, e.g., I forgot I handled snake turds, but now I'm going to make dinner.

I also practice caution when it is strictly snake time; snakes will not make contact unless they have been problem-free for a year. No group photos, no back to back handling, nada. I wash between snakes and I wash between species, with boas always being handled last.

I might be crazy, but it has worked well for me.

Thanks
    I dont really know why she licks them, maybe she wants to know what they taste like

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    most people dont even know they have had it or not. unless your elderly or an infant it really doesnt affect you much. you get diarrhea, nausea and sometimes vomiting. you could in more sever cases get blood in the stool, head aches and muscle pains (most likely from vomiting and nausea). most people just get diarrhea and nausea.
    most people just chaulk it up to the flu or sometimes food poisoning. my stomach is bad anyways so i would never know if i had it unless i went to the doctors office and had a test done. i still doubt that most if any of us have caught it from our herps. low risk really. just something else that the media uses to make people scared and to create news
    adam jeffery

10. The Following User Says Thank You to adamjeffery For This Useful Post:

loonunit (12-21-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycatpenut View Post
    I dont really know why she licks them, maybe she wants to know what they taste like
    Touché' lol

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast