Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

2 members and 2,840 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

BP classified on Fauna giving me a virus????

I did not want to say anything until I was sure. I have reproduced the virus or whatever it is 4 times on 2 different computers and I know for sure it is coming from fauna. Since the classified bp section is the only part I have been on during the issue, I am unsure if it is the whole site or just that section. Here is the sequence of events produced 4 times.

Browsing fauna ads and after about 3 pages I get a pop up asking permission to continue because windows is attempting to change user account settings. If we click the red X the window just pops right back up. It is in the front of the screen so you can not do anything. Even tried disconnecting the internet at this point but it still will not go away. Hard reset does not work as the window is there shortly after start up. Choosing the allow or cancel results in the same thing. A bogus virus scan starts and begins to corrupt windows defender It throws a bunch of new 2012 malware software in the security center. Next it gets into your start up screen. The above is true for safe mode also. The only way I can stop it is windows restore, which works perfectly. This exact same thing has happened to me 4 times (within and over the last week) and what convinced me was when it happened to me on a different computer.

Help, I love fauna but geeze someone fix this thing already. I am scared to go back. Anyone else have this issue yet?
    Nothing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Re: BP classified on Fauna giving me a virus????

I just went through a bunch of fauna classifieds like I have hundreds of times, not even a request to download anything. I can't reproduce your results

It sounds like the window you have popping up is unrelated to the internet, the virus is already there. Do your windows restore and scan the heck out of your computer. Also, are you still using internet explorer?

or look into a linux based operating system and never have to worry about a virus again

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Wh00h0069 (12-18-2011)

Thanks
    I'm on fauna everyday and
    never had that issue. Did you inform fauna ?

Thanks

Windows restore does not completely revert your system to the way it was. The computer is capable of reversing the changes. That is, you can un-do system restore, which demonstrates the fact that the machine has everything saved in memory, including the virus. You have to do a system restore in safe mode in order to wipe the memory, and even then, some heavy-duty viruses can survive, or even prevent you from doing a system restore in safe mode. They can even corrupt your restore points so you can't use them.

I have had viruses like yours before. After a system restore, it takes a while for it to get out and corrupt your system again. I highly doubt the fauna classifieds are causing it to come back. It's either coincidence, or there's something about that site that is cuing the virus to activate.

You may need to re-install your operating system from the install disc to completely wipe the virus out. I recommend you either do that or take it to be repaired by a professional, or somebody might be reading your keystrokes and stealing your passwords/credit card information.
    0.1 07 Normal "Bigsnake"
    1.0 08 Lesser "Congo"
    1.0 12 Piebald "Pixel"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I just went through a bunch of fauna classifieds like I have hundreds of times, not even a request to download anything. I can't reproduce your results

It sounds like the window you have popping up is unrelated to the internet, the virus is already there. Do your windows restore and scan the heck out of your computer. Also, are you still using internet explorer?

or look into a linux based operating system and never have to worry about a virus again
    I use firefox. I have been looking at fauna for years, everyday, multiple times and never an issue. I did not realize it was fauna at first but it happened multiple times and only on fauna. Each time I would look for other ways to fix the issue but only restore (complete) got rid of it. I browse many other sites every day and no issues with them. I was totally convinced when it happened on my other computer and the only site I had browsed that day was fauna. I am not sure whether it is a virus or a program that is downloading but either way it is some sort of invasion. It has been a few days since I resolved the issue with my computers and have not visited fauna since.
    Nothing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dante59 View Post
    I'm on fauna everyday and
    never had that issue. Did you inform fauna ?
    I was going many times a day until this issue. I have not been back to fauna since I keep having issues.
    Nothing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Windows restore does not completely revert your system to the way it was. The computer is capable of reversing the changes. That is, you can un-do system restore, which demonstrates the fact that the machine has everything saved in memory, including the virus. You have to do a system restore in safe mode in order to wipe the memory, and even then, some heavy-duty viruses can survive, or even prevent you from doing a system restore in safe mode. They can even corrupt your restore points so you can't use them.

I have had viruses like yours before. After a system restore, it takes a while for it to get out and corrupt your system again. I highly doubt the fauna classifieds are causing it to come back. It's either coincidence, or there's something about that site that is cuing the virus to activate.

You may need to re-install your operating system from the install disc to completely wipe the virus out. I recommend you either do that or take it to be repaired by a professional, or somebody might be reading your keystrokes and stealing your passwords/credit card information.
    I do not think it is coincidence since it has happened multiple times on two different computers on different days and I visit so many other sites. I thought about your other suggestion about fauna having a trigger. Either way, it seems to only happen on fauna and has not happened since I have not been visiting the site. I have nothing to steal, poor thieves have hacked the wrong system. I be pretty poor, lol.
    Nothing

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Sounds like a False Positive, Happens all the time with certain Anti Virus programs like AVG, Avast, Norton.

Could of been a bad cookie or temp file that cause your system to trigger it over and over.

Thanks

The computers at work have some pretty hardcore blocks, antivirus, etc. Every once in a while the computer will lockdown while I'm looking thru the adds on fauna. I think it's one of the google adds on the top that do it. That's because instead of the add, it will show the "access denied" page that pops up if you try to go to a site with blocked content.

It only happens on fauna, and it's only happened in the classifieds so far.

My home computer has never done anything like this, only the ones at the college.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Sounds like a False Positive, Happens all the time with certain Anti Virus programs like AVG, Avast, Norton.

Could of been a bad cookie or temp file that cause your system to trigger it over and over.
    I thought this at first also so I deleted all my cookies and temporary internet files on the first go around, but it still happened 3 more times. This scan was an obvious look alike. It was attempting to look like defender while at the same time disabling it and telling you that you needed to purchase an updated version to get rid of the bad stuff it had just scanned.
    Nothing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast