Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,907

4 members and 2,903 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Hybrid View

Thanks

What are the best tubs for a ASF rack?

I'm starting to plan to build a rack for my ASF's. I am probably going to be using MarkS' Plans. How ever I know that ASF's like to chew. I want to find something close to this size but maybe a little bigger. I currently have a small 6 tub rack, I am just running out of room. I am curently using cement mixing tubs, which have worked out great so far. The price is great on them. The only problem is the size. They will almost double the width of MarkS' plans. So if you have any sugestions on the best tubs to use for ASFs and at a decent price. I will probably build a 20-25 rack to start things off.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Driver For This Useful Post:

MSG-KB (12-13-2011)

Thanks
    I know that some people use concrete mixing tubs for their ASFracks.
    Some people have great success with those, and some people have many chew outs.

It seems that it depends on the ASF

I personally use lab grade tubs. I had them running like this for a good year or so without any problems.
    I have always used them on shelves with the wire metal lids, like so:

They absolutely can not *chew* out of the tubs like that, from what I've seen. BUT, I started having issues with them lifting the lids off the tubs when the water bottles got too light. That was a problem that started around the 2 year mark.
    I could either put them in a rack and still use the lids, just make sure the wood held the lids down.
    I could make a clip for the lids to clip to the tub (not sure how)
    OR, I could try the tubs in a rack on their own. (what I decided to do)

I came up with this design. It holds the lab tubs up against screen (1/4 inch).

It actually gives them more room in each tub compared to what they had when I had them with the lid.

It's been working well for about 1-2 months, no chew outs.

The reason the tubs are at every OTHER level is to leave room for water bottles BUT once the watering system is put in, they will be on every level!

One thing I do not recommend is Big Apple Herp lab tubs. I can't stress this enough. I tried one of these 2 years ago with my mice. In a very short time, I had nice sized chew marks on the Big Apple Herp mouse tub. I do not recommend them for mice or asf rats. Mice it may take a while to get OUT of, but I prefer not to have to re-buy tubs!

Thanks
    I like these tubs from Lowes before they started making them grey. I just wish they were about 1" more shallow.

There is only one tub where they're starting to chew on the lip, but they are only able to because there is a larger gap there. Make the tubs fit snugly and there won't be a problem.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks

Re: What are the best tubs for a ASF rack?

Quote Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    I like these tubs from Lowes before they started making them grey. I just wish they were about 1" more shallow.

There is only one tub where they're starting to chew on the lip, but they are only able to because there is a larger gap there. Make the tubs fit snugly and there won't be a problem.
    I say your DIY post on the forums and really liked the look of what you did based off of MarkS stuff. Now do those have any rivets on the bottom or are they completely flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I use these:

http://www.critter-cages.com/index.p...roducts_id=279

They are pricy, but work very well. No escapes. I can put two dozen of them easily in a closet on shelving.
    Those are nice but as you said pricey and way to pricey for my budget

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilegirl07 View Post
    I know that some people use concrete mixing tubs for their ASFracks.
    Some people have great success with those, and some people have many chew outs.

It seems that it depends on the ASF

I personally use lab grade tubs. I had them running like this for a good year or so without any problems.

They absolutely can not *chew* out of the tubs like that, from what I've seen.
    How much are these tubs and where can I get them?

Thanks
    I use these:

http://www.critter-cages.com/index.p...roducts_id=279

They are pricy, but work very well. No escapes. I can put two dozen of them easily in a closet on shelving.

Thanks
    The ones I have I purchased off ebay. I kept looking for 'mouse lab tub', 'rodent breeding tub', 'lab cages'.

I had to buy a couple thousand dollars worth at once to get a decent price. They aren't cheap, but, quality items rarely are

I have no experience with Rodent Breeder Cages from Critter-Cages.

Instead of going "all in" on one tub type, maybe TRY it for a bit first, to see if your rats chew it?

Thanks
    I use Petco litter boxes. You pick the size you want.

I avoid damage to the tubs by keeping the chewers in the freezer.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have racks for most of my breeder rodents. Well, almost all of my rodents...
    The one rodent I dont use a rack for.... ASF's. I use lab style cages for them for the sole purpose of the little PITA's chew on everything and anything....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    I say your DIY post on the forums and really liked the look of what you did based off of MarkS stuff. Now do those have any rivets on the bottom or are they completely flat?
    They are flat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook