Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

3 members and 3,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thinking about a substrate switch

I have been using coconut husk and I love it for several reasons. It looks great, it holds humidity, and it has no smell. What I DO NOT like about it is how much it sticks to rodents at feeding time. I only feed f/t and after I defrost them in water, I blow dry them until the are positively fluffy and the substrate STILL sticks to them. I am tired of watching my girl try to get rid of a mouthful of coconut husk every time she is finished eating. She always gets it out, but it's pitiful to watch and I can't imagine all that healthy.

So, any two cents worth from you guys would be appreciated. Here is a little about my set up.

I have a 2x2x1.5 fiberglas tank with a sliding glass front (I don't know the exact gallons, it was given to me, and made for ball pythons). It is in my living room, so I have a very naturalistic set up for aesthetic reasons. In addition to a UTH, I have a red bulb heat lamp, which is positioned over a large water dish to achieve correct humidity levels. I do not like the idea of newspaper or astroturf because there is no way to spot clean it, it all needs to be changed as soon as it is soiled. I check the substrate every day for poo and other nasties and grab out handfuls of soiled substrate and replace with a clean handful. I bleach all hides and plants and change the substrate completely every 2 weeks, so I go through a bag a month. Not too bad, I only have one snake.

In your experience, what other substrates look nice, don't smell when cleaned properly, are not magnetized to rodent fur, and are best for the snake's wellbeing? (good for humidity, etc.)

I really don't want to have to feed my girl outside the tank unless I have too. Just seems like unnecessary stress to her.
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    aspen bedding is the best in my opinion.

unfortunately, you're not going to find a substrate that won't stick to rodents while still being able to spot clean it, at least not to my knowledge.

Registered User Balls Out Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    I use cypress and feed all of mine f/t. All of mine with the exception of the queen feed directly from the tongs and I never have a problem with the bedding sticking to them. I did have the same problem with the queen during one feeding due to laying the rat directly onto the cypress. Every time he went to swallow it he would catch pieces of the cypress poking the insides of his mouth and he eventually gave up and decided to not eat that day. Now when I feed the queen I flip his hide upside down and lay the warmed up rat inside, after he does his ten minute long "spider dance" he eats it without issue.
    ^^^
    "LIKE" US ON FACEBOOK!!!

Thanks

Re: Thinking about a substrate switch

If you are looking to keep a pretty (natural looking) tank you could consider using something like astro turff. If you buy a few pieces you will keep that tank looking pretty all of the time. Plus they are easy to clean after potty breaks and are available in different colors. Hope it helps the effort.
    Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer

Thanks
    I think the easiest solution to your problem would be to do feedings in a different tank/tub and just keep your favorite substrate.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ARamos8 View Post
    If you are looking to keep a pretty (natural looking) tank you could consider using something like astro turff. If you buy a few pieces you will keep that tank looking pretty all of the time. Plus they are easy to clean after potty breaks and are available in different colors. Hope it helps the effort.
    She said no astro turf. I recommend doing what Choreboy does and lay the rat in the upside down hide

0.1 Normal (Captain Hook) (Hooked deformation on tip of tail)
    1.0 Pastel Poss het Albino (Thor)
    0.1 Normal (Chloe)
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python (Jade)
    0.1 Borneo Black Blood Python (Kira)
    Coming soon:
    1.0 Mojave het Albino
    0.1 Mojave het Albino

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    I think the easiest solution to your problem would be to do feedings in a different tank/tub and just keep your favorite substrate.
    This is what I was going to say. If you take her out and feed her in a tub with no substrate, or only a sheet of newspaper, she wont end up with a mouth full of anything - except "positively fluffy" rodent.
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    1.0 Het Pied BPs (Argonaut)
    1.0 Lesser x Butter BEL BP (Castiel)
    0.1 Pueblan Milksnake (NoFeet!)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    0.2 Rats (Jezebelle, Puddle)
    1.2 Mouse (Lemur, Tunami and Tsunami)
    Vermont Strong.

Thanks

I don't believe in feeding in a separate feeding tub. It is unnecessary and stressful. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by evan385; 12-13-2011 at 01:05 PM.

0.1 Normal (Captain Hook) (Hooked deformation on tip of tail)
    1.0 Pastel Poss het Albino (Thor)
    0.1 Normal (Chloe)
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python (Jade)
    0.1 Borneo Black Blood Python (Kira)
    Coming soon:
    1.0 Mojave het Albino
    0.1 Mojave het Albino

Registered User Balls Out Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evan385 View Post
    I don't believe in feeding in a separate feeding tub. It is unnecessary and stressful. Just my opinion.
    I feel the same way. I tried the whole feeding in a separate tub thing and it worked for 1 out of my 7 with live food, the rest of them just tried to dart/explore. I now just feed them in their own tubs and they're all taking f/t.
    ^^^
    "LIKE" US ON FACEBOOK!!!

Thanks
    I know someone who just lays down a piece of cardboard or newspaper that covers a good portion of the tub during feeding. Snake feeds on that, no substrate is ingested. Don't have to take the snake out and stress them, and you can use whatever bedding you want. Like a plate, haha. Plus it helps keep things clean if your snake gets a little over zealous with squeezing the rat.. Blood is usually caught on the plate/cardboard/paper and then is thrown out!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

Balls Out Morphs (12-13-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast