Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,408

1 members and 3,407 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Time to let them go?

Do you believe that there is a time to let senior pets ( specifically cats and dogs ) go? Meaning to euthanize them? The reason I ask is because we have a dog who's 13, maybe 14 years old. He's having a hard time getting around anymore, having a hard time holding his urine and bowels, barks and howls a lot for no apparent reason and does display some "dementia" symptoms. Quite a few friends comment on putting him down, and there are times I feel the same way, but he has been in this family since he was about 10 months old. It's a very delicate subject for Chad, as he's the one who has had him all these years.

Anyway, what is your opinion on it?
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Time to let them go?

I hate the idea of euthanizing animals, but as a future veterinarian I must say that if a pet is suffering and unhappy, and there's nothing you can do to help it, it may be time. If your pet is still happy and generally healthy, just take care of him the best you can until it's his time. You wouldn't put your old grandma/grandpa down just because they were senile and couldn't hold their bowels would ya? If he's visibly suffering though, it's a whole different story.

That's just my opinion.
    Last edited by WarriorPrincess90; 12-08-2011 at 02:40 AM.

- Nakita

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WarriorPrincess90 For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (12-08-2011)

Thanks
    it hard to tell someone what best for there animal when the have nothing but love for them. you have to look at it as is he pain or showing signs of pain. i was in the same boat as you are. i have a APBT and he had severe case of mange and the vet told me that he has to be put down and i couldnt live with that so i did some research and i found out a medication that would get ride of it and is working. Looks at what best for your animal........
    Royal Python
    1.0 Black Pastel
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel Butter
    0.1 Cinnamon
    0.3 Woma
    0.2 Het. Albino
    0.2 Spiders

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dpineiro87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess90 View Post
    I hate the idea of euthanizing animals, but as a future veterinarian I must say that if a pet is suffering and unhappy, and there's nothing you can do to help it, it may be time. If your pet is still happy and generally healthy, just take care of him the best you can until it's his time. You wouldn't put your old grandma/grandpa down just because they were senile and couldn't hold their bowels would ya? If he's visibly suffering though, it's a whole different story.

That's just my opinion.
    i agree
    Royal Python
    1.0 Black Pastel
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel Butter
    0.1 Cinnamon
    0.3 Woma
    0.2 Het. Albino
    0.2 Spiders

Thanks
    That is the hardest decision any pet owner has to make. But if an animal is in serious pain, I believe it is the kindest thing to do. But just because it is the kindest does not mean it is the easiest.

I lost my 16 year old cat this summer just before I went away to college. I was lucky in that he died very calmly in his sleep a few weeks before I left. Lucky that I didn't have to through the trauma of euthanizing him because I am not sure I could have done it.

All pets are wonderful and enrich our lives, but one day, they will all break our hearts. But I think all of us who have gone through the heartbreak of loosing a pet would say we wouldn't trade the years we had with them for anything. I know I wouldn't. They are all family.

I wish you peace with the decision you make. It is never an easy one.
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Emily Hubbard For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I had to put my precious boxer girl down this past June 24th - It was the hardest decision to make. She had developed a cancerous tumor on her face and we did surgery on it but 10 months later it came back with a vengance.

After a second surgery and 18 pills aday - the darn tumor just kept growing and it was affecting her eyesight. It also itched her because she was constantly rubbing it and making it even more inflamed. We got to the point where I had to put depends on her at night to control the uring leakage - I know she was mortified about peeing.

I finally realized that I was keeping her alive for "me" not her. She was 10 years old and just an absolute momma's girl. It broke my heart but I knew I had to do it. I went with her to the vet and stayed with her the whole time.

If it is any consolation - the procedure was very calm and painless - she simply went to sleep in my arms.

Its been six months and I still tear up thinking of her but I know I did what was best for her.

Here is a picture of my precious child "Madison" RIP

L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

heathers*bps (12-08-2011),mr.spooky (12-08-2011)

Thanks
    My friend has a 16 year old rat terrier, he is practically blind and deaf and also has some trouble moving about but he is still a happy dog. I was talking to my friends mom about him and she told me that he will let her know when it is time, just like their other dog did.

Just spend time with him, do what you can to make him comfortable. He will let you know when it is time or he will pass on peacefully and without pain on his own. Until then just give him all the love in the world and if you're like me, make sure you have a good picture of him to put in a frame... Dogs are like no other pets in this world.
    0.1 Blue Beauty Snake

1.2 Normals
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Pastel Poss Het Ghost
    1.0 Banana Bumblebee

0.1 Common Snapping Turtle

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lupe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i would be willing to put up with poop, pee, vomit anything, every day, if my dog was happy. if he finally one day seemed like he was too sad, sore, or whatever, to get up and wag his tail...i would consider it. It's very, very hard to decide. It's totally a case by case basis.
    My dog is my baby, and i am his mama! he doesn't get up for anyone else, cuz he's lazy, but he follows me to the kitchen, upstairs, the bathroom. He's right there, leaning against me, or sitting on my foot...always being near, always touching. I know i make him happy, and he makes me happy. if he wasn't able to be happy one day though...well...i hope that day never comes!
    I hope you figure something out and good luck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy King For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think there is a time when you have to do what is best for the animal. Having a hard time getting around and loosing control of their bodily functions I think is when you should start considering it. I think the decision is that hardest part. We almost had to put down our cat when he had a stroke. He was doing pretty bad.. we made the decision to put him down, but we gave him a week. This was mainly for us to grasp the gravity of the situation. He managed to pull through and is still well and healthy.

My point is and my advice is; to make the decision before he gets too bad. So that it's easier for you. As bad as that sounds your puppy can't understand the fact that you are putting him/her down. That feeling is yours to bare and its a horrible feeling..

My heart is with you,
    Chris.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

cecilbturtle (12-08-2011),heathers*bps (12-08-2011)

Thanks

i've sadly been on the euthanazia side of things but not for a cat or dog. & not for relief from old age. it was my daughter's rabbit (Dora, named after my daughter's favorite show at the time) who'd sometime during one night gotten her head stuck in a feeder door of the cage, trying to escape apparently & in the process of kicking to get loose, injured her back & ended up paralyzed in her back end.
    the vet said the spine was intact (not broken) & didnt know why the rabbit was paralized & gave me some options for home treatment that could possibly help regain the use of its back legs but couldnt give me any assurances.
    i'm one to appreciate his honesty but i'm also practical. in my situation, theres no way i could've financially, or emotionally, handled long term treatment of paralasis when there was no guarantee of recovery & in that time the animal would've been suffering more getting sores on the legs its now dragging around. bunnies like to run & jump & this poor furbaby could do neither. i'm tearing up right now but as i sat in the vets exam room thinking about all this, trying to decide which to go with my heart or my logic, i looked down at dora in my arms & she looked straight up into my face & looking at her as she's looking at me just gave me a calmness amidst my inner turmoil & then she pushed up with her upper body & touched noses with me, which was something she'd never done with anyone besides my daughter. that was their "nose cuddle" as my daughter called it. her doing that for me just made my decision all the more easier to relieve her of any suffering & by doing so not put her through more on the "hope" for an unguaranteed partial recovery.
    i could only nod to the vet to do it cuz i was muted by the pain in my heart but i stayed with Dora though it, petting & talking to her as she fell asleep.
    my point being from that unintentionally long story is this,
    if keeping the animal alive benefits you more then them, it's wrong in my opinion. for all these creatures do for us the least we can do for them is ensure them a peaceful passing in the end.
    i see it as a "thank you" for all the years of happiness they gave us.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs