Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,293

2 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Should I run the heat all night?

I live in northern Cali and the nights have gotten really cold this week. I check the ambient temp in my bp's tank every morning and it has been dropping to 72-75 the last few nights, but comes back up to the 80s once I turn the heat on in the morning. But tonight was feeding day and for some reason, she didn't go to her warm hide after eating, she went to her humid hide, which is in the middle, I think because I had had the heat on all day by the time I fed her so it was nice and toasty in the room.

But now it is almost 2am and the ambient temp is dropping. Usually, my girl does not move for 2 days after eating, so I worry she won't go to the warm spot if it gets too cold tonight.

So, I just turned the heat on in my living room as I am going to bed. May God have mercy on my PG&E bill if this becomes a necessity.

Does anyone else in cold climates have this problem, or am I just being paranoid? I'll be sleeping on the couch if I have to run the heat all night, we both might as well benefit from it...
    0.1 - Normal ball python, Zola

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Should I run the heat all night?

Hi,

I never drop the temps on my BP's at all.

Could you add a second heat source to the tank to keep it at the right temp 24/7 without having to heat your entire room?

Or perhaps insulate it?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    I may need to try insulating. I do actually have two heat sources! Though one of my heat pads may not be strong enough... Her temps are perfect during the day, but I just can't get them steady all night recently.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Try insulation that may help but 72 is quite cool for them. I personally don't like seeing ambient temps below 78ºF. You might also try adding a blue or deep red LED bar inside the tank on a timer for night lighting. They don't need it at all but it does give off some heat (mine sits at 88º) and that could help to lift your night temps some.
    Last edited by kitedemon; 12-05-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Should I run the heat all night?

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Hubbard View Post
    I may need to try insulating. I do actually have two heat sources! Though one of my heat pads may not be strong enough... Her temps are perfect during the day, but I just can't get them steady all night recently.
    Without insulation, the ambient temp of your room is going to have MUCH more effect on your tank temp than a heat pad. UTHs are designed to provide a hot spot, not heat an entire enclosure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    I agree, 72 is way too low. I have been trying to keep my ambient temp as close to 80 as possible, which has worked fine til this week. Because she just ate, I have had the heat on all day even though I was at school all morning. I am going to look into replacing my UTH because I got it second hand from the person who gave me the tank because the UTH fit the tank bottom perfectly, but I think it's just not cutting it.

What would you guys recommend I try as far as insulation? My tank is fiberglass with a sliding glass front and a mesh vent running down the middle of the top. There is a 150 watt red bulb on top, a large UTH on the bottom of one side, and a small UTH on the side in a corner for the hottest spot, which is about 90 degrees IF it is in the neighborhood of 70 degrees in the room, which I am currently maintaining until I find a solution.

As I predicted, she did not move from her humid hide last night, which is in the middle of her tank, so at ambient temp. I would be less concerned if she at least curled up in the warm hide to digest like she normally does, but I guess it's her decision, not mine. I'm just keeping the room warm to be sure.

Thanks
    how big is your enclosure? if you have two heat sources, both of which hopefully are regulated by a thermostat, you shouldn't have to worry excessively. yes, your ambient temperatures are a bit on the low side, but if you're working with an aquarium-type set-up, it should be manageable, although perhaps less than ideal.

edit: 72 is too cold for ambient, but if your cold side remains around 75-78, that's actually ideal. where are you taking your readings?
    Last edited by wwmjkd; 12-05-2011 at 06:48 PM.