Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

1 members and 2,831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Starting a salt water tank, need opinions on the tank stand

This will be our first salt water tank and we are just starting to gather some of the supplies. When we went to get the tank we didn't feel comfortable with the press board cabinets stapled together to hold a 1000 pound tank, more or less. We have a friend with a 75 gallon that made his stand about like this, so that's what we did!

This is a 90 gallon pre-drilled tank, do you guys think the stand looks pretty stable or should we add more supports in the middle? There is one going across the middle of the tank as well. We can't put too much across the front as far as supports go since we are putting a fairly large sump tank underneath.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Honesty that stand should be fine. Have you ever looked at the pre made stands... They are not nearly as well built...
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonboy4578 For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (12-05-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonboy4578 View Post
    Honesty that stand should be fine. Have you ever looked at the pre made stands... They are not nearly as well built...
    We looked at the one that came with it and I said no way. It was maybe 1/2inch thick pressboard. All I could think about was it getting wet/humid from the sump tank and falling into a billion pieces. I feel pretty confident with that stand as does my fiance-who built it, but we feel better if other people think it looks good too!

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is built heavier than the stand that a buddy of mine and I built for his 150 gallon tank and that has held for 10 years...lol
    “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.”Winston Churchill
    1.0 '10 piebald, 0.1 '10 het piebald, 01 '07 het. Piebald
    0.1 '10 lesser, 0.1 '10 albino, 1.0 '11 Black Pastel het. Albino, 0.1 '11 het. Albino, 0.1 '08 het. Albino, 0.1 '10 het. Albino
    0.1 '09 woma, 1.0 '10 Pewter, 0.1 '11 Lesser Bee
    0.1 '10 Super Cinnamon Woma, 0.1 '10 Mojave Spider, 0.1 '11 mojave, 0.1 Super Chocolate
    0.1 '10 Pastel Yellowbelly, 1.0 '11 Pastel Yellowbelly
    1.1 '10 yellowbelly, 0.2 '10 normal
    0.1 '08 Cinnamon, '08 Normal, 0.1 '10 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Black eyed lucy possible yellowbelly
    1.0 '11 Cinnamon Enchi, 1.0 '11 pastave
    0.1 '10 coral albino Boa, '10 1.0 Sunglow boa, 11 0.1 Motley boa
    0.1 '11 Central American hypo boa, 1.0 Central American Motley
    0.1 '11+T Albino Blood, 0.1 '11 poss het. +T Albino Blood

Thanks

Re: Starting a salt water tank, need opinions on the tank stand

I'd suggest just putting down a rubber mat underneath the tank to prevent potential splashing from your wet dry/sump and then get a piece of rubber/fabric to staple around the outside of your stand preferably rubber or some kinds of waterproof material. Building your own stand allows for a lot more room underneath the tank and allows you to add in a larger sump system.

from working at a fish store i can tell you that most pre-made stands are more flimsy then a well built home made one. Me and a friend just finished building a stand for his 65 gallon cube the same way i mentioned above and it came out pretty nice.

Good luck =]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ajpolicastro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    It's not built exactly like the ones I built for mine, but it looks sturdy enough for sure.

One trick I found handy was putting a sheet of styrofoam under the tank on top of the stand. It almost self-levels the tank even if your floor is slightly off. Worked a dream for me.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dragonboy4578 View Post
    It is built heavier than the stand that a buddy of mine and I built for his 150 gallon tank and that has held for 10 years...lol
    Lol, that's what I keep hearing from a lot of people!

Quote Originally Posted by ajpolicastro View Post
    I'd suggest just putting down a rubber mat underneath the tank to prevent potential splashing from your wet dry/sump and then get a piece of rubber/fabric to staple around the outside of your stand preferably rubber or some kinds of waterproof material. Building your own stand allows for a lot more room underneath the tank and allows you to add in a larger sump system.

from working at a fish store i can tell you that most pre-made stands are more flimsy then a well built home made one. Me and a friend just finished building a stand for his 65 gallon cube the same way i mentioned above and it came out pretty nice.

Good luck =]
    We are planning to get some rubber cut to put under there. As far as the outside of the stand goes were are putting hardwood on there, staining it and putting poly on it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    It's not built exactly like the ones I built for mine, but it looks sturdy enough for sure.

One trick I found handy was putting a sheet of styrofoam under the tank on top of the stand. It almost self-levels the tank even if your floor is slightly off. Worked a dream for me.
    Luckily our floors are just about perfectly level, so that was pretty nice for the fish tank. Our last place was a rental and everything was slanted in that house, I didn't even know a house could be this level, lol!

Blake put some more supports on the stand and it's pretty dang solid now. There are three posts now in the middle rather than just one, and 2 posts connecting the middle supports together at the top. It used to sway a little, but now it doesn't budge.

I'm pretty excited that the tank is coming along! It's taking forever, and a lot of money... but it's coming! We have just about all 90 gallons of water in the tank and roughly 80 pounds of sand. And on it's way is a 6 bulb light fixture with lights, a 700 gallon pump, and a tank heater! I'm so excited! I can't wait just to put the dang live rock in at this point!
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 12-05-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks
    if it's real wood (not particle board) with supports, you should be good to go. My only real adivce, is make sure you have plenty of room to get behind it, get to the sump, get to the protien skimmer if you're using one, etc. We have an 85 gallon, and a 29 gallon sump, with a wooden stand from petsmart. Stand has been fine, but sometimes it's annoying to make sure there's room for cords, plugs, any revamps we have done with lighting and pumps, fans, etc. It's hard to know that you're going to need in the future. Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy King For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (12-06-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Missy King View Post
    if it's real wood (not particle board) with supports, you should be good to go. My only real adivce, is make sure you have plenty of room to get behind it, get to the sump, get to the protien skimmer if you're using one, etc. We have an 85 gallon, and a 29 gallon sump, with a wooden stand from petsmart. Stand has been fine, but sometimes it's annoying to make sure there's room for cords, plugs, any revamps we have done with lighting and pumps, fans, etc. It's hard to know that you're going to need in the future. Good luck!
    Yep, it's all real wood (2x4s). We have some room behind it. We will be leaving the back open to make it easier on us. Our tank is predrilled underneath so the pvc pipes will go straight down to the sump tank (more or less). We are going to hardline them to the sump tank. As far as getting to the sump, we're planning to do two big doors on the front. I just picked up a 29 gallon tank to put inside the stand to use as a sump tank, we just have to get some glass cut and turn it into a refugium. We will hopefully have everything put together and start cycling the tank by this weekend!
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 12-06-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks

i would say that the stand is plenty strong enough to support the weight of to tank. if i were you i would sheet the back and sides with something. you could even put doors on the front if you want to get fancy. the sheeting will not only make it look nice but will stop the frame from racking if some on bumps into it.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (12-07-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast