Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

1 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: Tub height

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Tub height

Hey there I saw an older post where someone bought these tubs for hatchlings with the same floor space as a sterilite 6qt but only 2.5 inch in height. The advantages listed was saving vertical space on rack (more tubs per height), minimizing heat loss to top of tub and also snake feels more secure. These sound relatively reasonable to me. I also saw these tubs at the store today that were good floor space and some about 2.5 to 3 inches in height, there were hatchling size tubs as well as those same floor space as 15Qt but only 3 inch high. They are quite expensive because they include a stupid seave that lets you dry your dishes on it which I would throw away but the space saving is great and I really do think that the animals would feel more secure.

I am wondering however what I can use for water bowls and stuff like that? You have to consider that the snake has to get to the water, not just the water bowl fit into the tub with a few mms on top.

Thanks
    3" PVC cap works well for water dish. Get them at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $1.50 or so. I can't remember the exact price but they work great.

Thanks
    I recently built a rack and had (what I thought was) a great plan of using the top three shelves for some narrow, long and only 3.5" high hatchling tubs. After putting a couple of new pickups in these smaller tubs I found it to be much more difficult to deal with for a number of reasons. With less vertical height, the humidity was off the charts, 90% with dry paper substrate and a small cup of water. added tons of holes and got it down to 65-70%, but if water spilled, forget it, it shot up. also when you toss in a mouse (for hatchlings) it's super easy for them to jump right out if you hesitate for even a moment while sliding the tub back in. Also, if you have a nippy BP, there is not so much room to approach from behind, it was more of an adventure to do regular maintenance on these than the sterilite 6qt or 15 qt. So just my but I am converting the shelves I built specifically for shorter tubs back to hold a shelf of 2 15qts, and a whole sterilite 6qt rack is on the board for future building.
    So I would recommend that you go with the standard 6qt or 15qt so you don't have to upgrade so soon as they get bigger. Also forgot to mention, they do need space to constrict their prey items, so when there is such a low vertical height they really wouldn't be able to stay in that tub very long as they just keep getting bigger
    Last edited by Steve-J; 12-03-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: forgot something