Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,154

1 members and 3,153 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Facetime for Android?

My Droid Incredible decided to go swimming this weekend, so I had to go out yesterday to grab a new phone. I went ahead and upgraded to the Droid Razr, which has the front facing camera. I was playing with it last night and tried out the Google Talk video chat from my phone to my wife's computer and it worked great.

My question is whether I can get Facetime for my Droid to work with my father-in-law's iPhone... I looked at the market and didn't see it, but I saw something on Yahoo answers about there being a Facetime app for Android. I would MUCH rather have him download a Google Talk app for iPhone, but I don't know if they make that either. I just figured I knew the best place and person to ask...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks
    Not sure about Facetime specifically but Skype (market version, not pre-loaded) works well on my D3. It may not support your phone yet but should shortly.
    Do you like the new phone? I am trying to decide if I should upgrade my son's old Droid for Christmas and, if so, to what.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine_3 For This Useful Post:

Inknsteel (11-29-2011)

Thanks

Re: Facetime for Android?

I just got it yesterday, but I'm loving the Razr so far. It's a bit of an adjustment going from the HTC interface to the Motorola interface, but I think I'm going to ultimately like it better...

Still looking for input on either Facetime for Android or Google for iPhone. I can do Skype if I have to...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Inknsteel For This Useful Post:

Clementine_3 (11-29-2011)

Thanks
    Just did a quick search and found Vtok for the iPhone, may be just what you are looking for?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Download Tango app both on iPhone and android phone. Works as a regular call as opposed to being limited to a wifi network

Thanks
    I've read some horrible reviews about Tango for Android having issues with force crashes and not displaying video, horrible audio, etc... I was hoping to stay native to one device or the other, just installing the complimenting app for the other.

I'm sure I can use Skype on both or the Vtok for iPhone to integrate with my Google talk. I just knew Walt seems like the guy with all the answers on all things smartphone... Hoping he sees this and chimes in before too long...
    Kevin Johnson
    2.1 Het Pied BP

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks
    Hey, unfortunately you will NEVER see FaceTime on any platform besides an Apple device because it is a proprietary technology, and they don't license that kind of stuff. Google video is not available on iDevices either, but I guess there is a slim chance it could end up there eventually. The problem is that Google has done a horrible job on its iOS apps, and in all certainty this is done on purpose. They are competitors, so they are going to keep these apps to themselves to sell their own products. Your best bet is Skype, which I believe is available on both platforms. However, Microsoft recently purchased Skype, so you probably can count on them not updating it much for platforms other then the Windows phone.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew00 For This Useful Post:

Inknsteel (12-01-2011),waltah! (12-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Re: Facetime for Android?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew00 View Post
    Hey, unfortunately you will NEVER see FaceTime on any platform besides an Apple device because it is a proprietary technology, and they don't license that kind of stuff. Google video is not available on iDevices either, but I guess there is a slim chance it could end up there eventually. The problem is that Google has done a horrible job on its iOS apps, and in all certainty this is done on purpose. They are competitors, so they are going to keep these apps to themselves to sell their own products. Your best bet is Skype, which I believe is available on both platforms. However, Microsoft recently purchased Skype, so you probably can count on them not updating it much for platforms other then the Windows phone.
    This. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.
    --Walt

12. The Following User Says Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

Inknsteel (12-15-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys but no worries... My bosses gave me an iPad2 as a Christmas present!!!
    Kevin Johnson
    2.1 Het Pied BP

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    You can use tango or Qik.

Qik is already pre installed on android phones. And it allows you to use either your front or rear camera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast