Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,213

1 members and 1,212 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

The Spider Problem?

First of all, if this thread is in the wrong.place I apologize, it seems like a husbandry issue.

So...I've been planning to buy a spider for quite a long time. But the wobble issue has always swayed me away. Can someone explain to me what the "wobble" truly is. I've also read that if it gets bad enough then the only way for the BP to live is to tube feed.. can someone with a spider, or which has owned a spider explain in greater details of the wobble? I'd So Love to hear personal experiences.. thanks everyone
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    I have a little spider girl and they [spiders] definately have their own quirky personality! Mine has what I'd call a "little more than average" wobble but it's really only noticable when she's feeding or excited (she'll wobble from side to side or turn her head/neck upside down). It's nothing to worry yourself over, most (though I have heard of some not showing the wobble) spiders have it to a certain degree. Some will "corkscrew", but most that I know of don't do this or don't do it regularly. Mine never has.

I wouldn't let the wobble sway you away from owning one: they're very personable. I would find an older one (juvi) that has a known mild wobble if you're worried: talk to the owner/breeder beforehand on how extreme it is.

I've never heard of the feeding through a tube thing though, maybe someone can shed light on that for you.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (11-27-2011)

Thanks
    Don't let the wobble scare you away from spiders, all of them have it, some just have it worse than others. I love my spider. She wobbles when shes stressed/excited but other than that its not too bad. Wobbling is when their head kinda shakes a little, and then some times (especially with severe wobbling) they get disoriented and their head goes upside down kinda. They just can't help it, I don't know how much they notice it though. My spider eats live and doesn't seem to have much trouble.
    Zeke - Facebook

2.2 Ball Pythons
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezekiel285 For This Useful Post:

decensored (11-26-2011),zeion97 (11-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: The Spider Problem?

I've only very rarely heard of the wobble being so bad that the spider had to be euthanized. I've never heard of someone resorting to tube feeding just to keep one alive.

No one can say with 100% certainty what the "wobble" is. It seems to be some kind of neurological deficiency directly connected to the same gene that causes the spider morph. The degrees that it presents itself varies from the mildest extreme...nothing more than faint tilt of the head....to the most severe corkscrewing and inability to control body movements at all. Most spiders fall somewhere between these two extremes, and I'd say the mildest versions are far far more common than the most extreme versions.

The degree that an individual spider shows these signs can also vary. Some babies with more significant wobbles will calm down as they mature and show less signs. Some babies that show no signs as hatchlings may develop more visible signs of it as they grow. It can go either way. Some only show signs when in an excited or agitated state. (Feeding or defensive)

I have a lovely 09 spider with very minimal signs of wobble...just a slight tilt of her head sometimes.
    -- Judy

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (11-27-2011),decensored (11-26-2011),heathers*bps (11-29-2011),ReptilesK2 (11-27-2011),snakesRkewl (11-26-2011),Spyderco1116 (11-28-2011),Steve-J (11-26-2011),zeion97 (11-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    One thing you will find out is the spider wobble is one thing no one can agree on, and it's usually half/half. I can only speak from my own personal opinion and experience with my spider girl.

I personally don't care about the wobble as long as the animal can eat, drink, and defecate normally. I see it more as a "quirk" than I do a "defect" I guess, although it is most likely a neurological defect like Judy mentioned. My little girl was 105 grams when I got her, and it seemed like every time she moved her head wobbled very slightly. As she's gotten bigger, I really only see it when it's feeding time, or if she thinks it's feeding time. It seems to be associated when she's "excited" about something. The anticipation of the rat seems to really set it off, however I don't think she's ever missed a strike. She lives a perfectly normal life, has the normal "special" personality a lot like other spiders. And she's certainly one of my favorites, and she's such a sweetheart and absolutely great with my son. I couldn't ask for a better snake, the wobble would never be enough to turn me off from this morph.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

decensored (11-26-2011),Spyderco1116 (11-28-2011),zeion97 (11-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    the wobble would never be enough to turn me off from this morph.
    Wobbles are one thing, but how about corkscrewing?

I raised a spider male that didn't show any signs of wobbles until he hit 8-9 months old, before that not so much as a head shake or head tilt.
    Now this male corkscrews so badly he misses half of his strikes ate food, although he eventually gets his meals

Just curious how people feel about a spider that can't hold his head straight, ever...

* I don't breed this male and never will, he's a pet only.
    Jerry Robertson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (11-27-2011)

Thanks
    Can't really add much to what had been said, but I will say that regardless of severity of their wobble, I've never had a spider that wasn't a great eater, great breeder and had twice the personality of all our other balls. It took me a while to get used to it, it just seemed wrong, but my wife and I love our spiders!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AK907 For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (11-27-2011)

Thanks

First off I have more spider females in my collection than any other base morph. I love these girls you would be hard pressed to find a ball python with the feeding response of my female spiders. The wobble is usually not a big deal. In my opinion all spiders have wobble to some degree, but my animals only show any signs of wobble during feeding, one female will from time to time will invert her head a bit, but these problems are relatively minor. I would not rule out a champagne in my collection because they have similar problems I actually want a champagne BAD.

In my opinion the spider wobble is over exaggerated, but it is something you need to understand before buying one
    JUSTIN MITCHELL
    PRIMAL SCREAM REPTILES

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jjmitchell For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (11-27-2011)

Thanks
    My spider breeder has some slight head wobble and will corkscrew at times, but rarely misses food and eats live. I have others who miss as often or more and aren't spiders and don't wobble. He would breed a rope if you put him in with it, add to that he eats anything I throw at him, ASF, mice, rats and either live or F/T. Plus he is the most curious, responsive ball I own. Of all of them he loves to be held and loves to explore. His offspring have exibited minimal wobble and one out of 3 spider babies corkscrewed but all ate live ravenously. It seems to me that it is more often the males that are the more extreme examples of this "defect" Anyone else think there might be something to this?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBig For This Useful Post:

zeion97 (11-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
    It seems to me that it is more often the males that are the more extreme examples of this "defect" Anyone else think there might be something to this?
    nope, I have seen as many female spiders wobble as males.
    I have also seen a female spider combo that has no head wobble produce babies that wobble, don't let anyone tell you that you can make non-wobbling spiders just because the male or female doesn't wobble, it's just not something anyone can guarantee.
    Jerry Robertson

19. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel285 (11-26-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast