Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,034

5 members and 3,029 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Red Tail, Id Help?

A little over a month ago I was looking on CL and saw an ad for a RTB. Clicked on it and it said they had a RTB they were keeping for a friend who never came back to get it. Anyone who wants it come get it. So I called and talked to the people and they said he was aggressive and if I came to get it today I could just have it. I went to pick him up and they had him in a 10 gallon tank with a screen lid with books piled on top. He had no water, no bedding and of course no hide or heat pad. He was thin, in shed and just plain sad looking. Btw, this guy is probably around 4 to 5 foot long!

They didn't have anything for me to take him out with (hook or glove) so I just reached in and took him out. He was so weak he didn't even try to get away or strike. I put him in a 41quart tub to bring him home. When we got home I put him in a tub with water to help his shed and he stuck his head under and drank fora good 2 minutes straight. Not to my surprise I noticed large black mites crawling on my hands after handling him.

So after a month of treatments and baths and a few meals, he's starting to look better. I took a couple of pics while he was in his bath last night. Oh and I haven't seen any mites in the past two baths/bedding changes!

I've guessing this guy is a BCI:

He pooped right after the last pic so I couldn't get any more...

Oh and if anyone has any advice on switching him to F/T I'd love to hear it! He's currently eat live and snubs his nose at a heated F/T, that or he tries to bite my hand(I use tongs!)

Thanks
    Also looking for any kind of ID on my other RTBs.
    Here's the one that I got with the little ball python(shown the the BP pictures section)

And another little girl, she's got some nice pinks on her sides. This is the best picture that shows of her colors.

Thanks
    The first and third one are definitely BCI's, the second in need a better head shot.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python 2.0.0 BCI ?
    1.0.0 Western Hognose 0.0.1 Albino Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa 0.1.0 Snow Motley Corn snake
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk Snake 0.1.0 Gray Banded King Snake
    2.0.0 Okeetee Corn Snakes 0.1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk snake
    0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake 1.2.0 Hog Island Boas
    1.1.0 Colombian Rainbow Boa 0.1.0 Nicaraguan Boa
    0.1.0 California King Snake 1.0.0 Solomon Island ground Boa
    1.1.0 Amelanistic Nelson's Milk Snake 0.1.0 Sunglow Boa
    0.0.1 Guyanan Red Tail

Thanks
    The first and second are for sure BCI, and I'd be willing to bet that the first is a Nicaraguan, or at least has some Nicaraguan in him. The second kind of makes me want to say almost BCL, but I'm not a boa expert so I'd want a second opinion on him.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

Re: Red Tail, Id Help?

to me, none of them look like BCC if that helps, idk how to id all the different boas, but the first one i'd say is BCI, maybe the other two are too, idk though so get more opinions, if you ask this at www.redtailboas.com you might get some better answers? at least more answers lol
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks
    Thanks for at least trying I'll check out the other site and see what they say and let ya'll know too! I figured that none were BCC, i'll have to take a look at the BCLs. Didn't think about anything besides BCI and BCC lol

Thanks Again!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    They are all BCIs. BCL is Boa Constrictor Longicauda which is simply a "locality specific" BCI like nicaraguan or hog island. In other words, it is a subspecies. It's a little confusing.....

Your first male looks like possibly a nicaraguan. Here's a pretty good pic - Nicaraguan Boa. I think he looks very similar to this snake both in color and pattern.

I don't think your 2nd snake (the 1st female pictured) is a BCL. A notable feature on the BCL is their dark head and facial markings. Your snake's marking are quite light. It'll be interesting to see how she colors up as she gets older. She could be, but she could also be a normal columbian too.

We'd need to see more of snake #3 to take a guess with her. All I can see is her head and that doesn't tell me much. But I'd hazard a guess of normal columbian BCI - although she could be hypomelanistic, especially if she's that pink.

No matter what they are, they are all really nice boas! I especially like #2 - very cool pattern on her! And good for you for rescuing that boy - he's obviously much better off.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

wwmjkd (11-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    I'm seeing all normal Colombians: the first one being darker, the second having a cool pattern, and the third just being pinker but from the pics IMO not a hypo. All are very nice
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

Re: Red Tail, Id Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    They are all BCIs. BCL is Boa Constrictor Longicauda which is simply a "locality specific" BCI like nicaraguan or hog island. In other words, it is a subspecies. It's a little confusing.....
    If I understand your explanation correctly, that is not 100% true. The boa constrictor subspecies are as follows:
    B. c. amarali
    B.c. constrictor
    B.c. imperator
    B.c. longicauda
    B.c. melanogaster
    B.c. nebulosus
    B.c. occidentalis
    B. c. orophias
    B.c. ortonii
    B.c. sabogae

Longicauda is a separate subspecies and is not a "locality specific BCI". The Peru Longtail Boa is a locality specific BCL. While the Hog Island and the Nicaraguans are locality specific BCIs.

Here is a couple helpful links for more information about Boa Constrictor Longicauda with pictures:
    http://www.riobravoreptiles.com/boas_long.htm
    http://www.cuttingedgeherp.com/boaco...torlongicauda/

For the OP, it is very difficult to determine what subspecies you have without breeding records. There has been a lot of cross breeding between subspecies and many boas on the market today cannot be identified as pure subspecies or localities. Nice looking boas though.
    - Phil

Pictures of My Reptiles

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.
    ~ Francis Bacon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pals BP For This Useful Post:

Evenstar (11-26-2011)

Thanks
    Thank you all for your responses.

As for the second, I don't think she's a BCL after looking at pictures and descriptions. i'm sure she's just a nice BCI with an interesting pattern.

It's nice to know the 2nd may be a Nicaraguan Boa (cross or otherwise) since he seems small to me. If he is a a Nic or cross then it make since that he's shorter than I thought he'd be for a 3 year old.

As for the last, she has a vet appointment coming up later next week (Herp vet is only there one day a week). She's developed a squishy bulge in lower mid section. She eats and poops fine but I'm not sure what this is. I'll see about getting her out later tonight for a quick picture, I was going to post it in the heath section anyway to see if anyone had any ideas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast