Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,354

1 members and 2,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

koi pond question

i have a some what large koi pond (about 5k gal. +/-).. my kois have had babies,, ALOT of babies, and i need to get them out,, but i dont know what the best way is..... are there any koi keepers here that can help??
    my bigest koi are only about 15 to 20 inches,,, and then, every size down from there..
    the water is dirty right now because i havent cleaned the filter in about 3 weeks, and all of the plants are dieing so the filter is having to work hard...

thanks in advance!
    spooky
    Last edited by mr.spooky; 11-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks
    Hey man, congrats on the babies! First how big are they, because that's important.

At any rate the only way to get them out is to net them. I'd recommend you use a soft net with a very fine mesh. In fact I'd say have a look at the nets that Specimen Carp fisherman use to get an idea of the mesh.

Make sure you have the temp tanks ready and be very gentle with them. Make sure not to touch them with dry hands!

I hope this helps!
    0.1 Black Labrador "Bella"
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python

Thanks

Re: koi pond question

congrats?????? LOL i dont want them here LOL,,, i wish there was a birth control i could put in the pond hahahh....
    the smallest ones are about 3" long... iv thought about a net, but i dont think i could catch them with a net,,, there fast,,, my nets small (about 2' wide),, and the ponds big.. i dident know if there was a DIY fish trap or something...'
    spooky

Thanks
    The only trap I can think of that works is the plastic coke bottle trap.

You cut a 2 liter coke bottle in half, and put the top half cap first into the bottom half. Obviously the cap must off!!

Put some koi pellets in as bait. They get into the chamber through the mouth of the bottle but can't get out again. I've caught plenty mullet like this!!

Tie string to it by making holes in the top, through both halfs of the bottle. It makes it easy to pull in but also holds the trap together. Just make sure you don't throw out any fish you want to keep, lol!

Google coke bottle fish trap for more info!
    0.1 Black Labrador "Bella"
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python