Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

2 members and 2,864 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Couple of questions.

First of all my ball will not take food from me.He`s on f/t Fuzzies right now.If i leave it in his cage when i come home from work he has eaten it. IS THIS A PROBLEM? Should i even leave it in the cage? I started doing it because he went 3 weeks without eating and i got worried.

Second when he shed about 3 weeks ago everything came off but his head and eye caps.my temps are good and i was misting the tank every day to keep humidity around 60-70%.Now humidity stays around 50%.I`ve tried the damp pillow case and that didn`t work.Should i just leave it and wait on the next shed?It cant be too far off since its`s been almost a month now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    If he's eating, who cares how he takes it? Eating is eating.

I have a ball who will not take her F/T off tongs: I need to leave it in there with her to eat, so she's like your BP.

For the shed I would wait until next shed for the eyecaps (don't mess with his eyes), and you could have him rub through a damp towel to take the head shed off. Giving him a "bath" could work too to get the shed and eye caps off: just don't boil him (luke warm water at the most).
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

hut8822 (11-23-2011)

Thanks
    Yes this is fine. Some are shy or will only eat late at night. As long as its f/t you can leave it overnight and check in the morning.
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mpkeelee For This Useful Post:

hut8822 (11-23-2011)

Thanks

Re: Couple of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    If he's eating, who cares how he takes it? Eating is eating.

I have a ball who will not take her F/T off tongs: I need to leave it in there with her to eat, so she's like your BP.

For the shed I would wait until next shed for the eyecaps (don't mess with his eyes), and you could have him rub through a damp towel to take the head shed off. Giving him a "bath" could work too to get the shed and eye caps off: just don't boil him (luke warm water at the most).
    Thats what i was thinking! just wanted to make sure. i have tried the towel and a bath.The bath freeked me out cause as soon as i put him in the water he took off to the other end of the tub.water was just barely warm to the touch.I don`t think he likes water too much!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpkeelee View Post
    Yes this is fine. Some are shy or will only eat late at night. As long as its f/t you can leave it overnight and check in the morning.
    I work 2nd shift so it`s no problem to try n feed. if he don`t take it i leave it in there and check at 12 in the morning to see did he take it.So far he`s taken it every time so i guess he`s just shy.

Thanks

Agree with the leaving the food in the cage for him to eat. Would feed and night before bed, and make sure to remove any uneaten food the next morning. Don't want it to sit in there too long, as it can get nasty.

As for the shed and eye caps... Damp towel (then soak if that doesn't work) has always worked for me, except once. Had a rescue that came with eyecaps. Days of soaking and they still did not come off. I was told by my vet to try Mineral Oil (very inexpensive at CVS). After gently applying with a Q-tip a couple times a day for 2 days, she got them off herself and was an extremely happy/grateful snake. After pulling them from the enclosure and insecting them... There were 3 layers/sheds worth of eyecaps on each eye... Poor girl

I mention this, as IMO I do not believe waiting until the next shed comes to get them off is the right thing to do. Their vision is affected/reduced with them on, and I dont think it will be any easier for them to come off next time.

Best of luck
    ~Jason

0.1 = Normal - Axanthic VPI - Queen Bee - Cinnamon - Cinnapin - Normal Het Pied - Spider Het Axanthic TSK - Bee - Fire
    1.0 = Pied - Pewter - Lesser - Spider - Snow TSK - Fire Het Clown

1.0 - Redtail Boa
    1.2 - Corn snakes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SinCityBPs For This Useful Post:

hut8822 (11-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SinCityBPs View Post
    Agree with the leaving the food in the cage for him to eat. Would feed and night before bed, and make sure to remove any uneaten food the next morning. Don't want it to sit in there too long, as it can get nasty.

As for the shed and eye caps... Damp towel (then soak if that doesn't work) has always worked for me, except once. Had a rescue that came with eyecaps. Days of soaking and they still did not come off. I was told by my vet to try Mineral Oil (very inexpensive at CVS). After gently applying with a Q-tip a couple times a day for 2 days, she got them off herself and was an extremely happy/grateful snake. After pulling them from the enclosure and insecting them... There were 3 layers/sheds worth of eyecaps on each eye... Poor girl

I mention this, as IMO I do not believe waiting until the next shed comes to get them off is the right thing to do. Their vision is affected/reduced with them on, and I dont think it will be any easier for them to come off next time.

Best of luck
    Thanks I will deffinitally try the mineral oil and see will it work. I really dont want to wait on the next shed eather but im also scared to do anything that might hurt him.

Thanks
    Another tip for eyecaps is the finger condoms they use in kitchens or a rubber thimble. Gently rub the side of their eye and it will peel right off
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mpkeelee For This Useful Post:

SinCityBPs (11-23-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    One layer of stuck eye caps will not hurt him. I would just leave it alone and make sure your humidity is nice and high for the next shed. If you mess with his eyes too much you could end up causing a bigger problem.
    ~Steffe

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

decensored (11-23-2011),dr del (11-23-2011),zeion97 (11-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    One layer of stuck eye caps will not hurt him. I would just leave it alone and make sure your humidity is nice and high for the next shed. If you mess with his eyes too much you could end up causing a bigger problem.
    X2. Be very VERY careful should You ever need to remove the eye caps. Besides stressing the snake, you could blind or even.. eh, I guess mess up the eye? I don't really know how to explain it but one of my friends made his balls eye dent in. If anyone wants to say what that IA and help me it would more helpful.

A note to the other things you said. Again yes, feeding by leaving the F/T prey inside the cage Is fine. just DO NOT do this with live, especially rats..

On his next shed his eye caps should cone off, if not, then you know were to post looking for more advice! Good luck!
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast