Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

1 members and 3,161 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Rescue Worries

Thanks

Rescue Worries

I rescued 3 ball pythons about a month ago. They were left behind when the people living in the house abandoned the place and left the state. They were alone in a house without food, water or heat lamps for at least a month. Since they've settled in here, they've been doing very well, they're active and all that. However, I can't get 2 of the 3 to eat. One of them since she settled in has been eating everything that's been offered to her and she'll be shedding any day now. The other 2, show no interest in food at all. I'm not so much worried about the male as I am the bigger female. She is quite thin for her size.

I've already tried live, fresh-killed, f/t, smaller prey than normal, gerbil scenting, scenting with chicken broth, splitting the head....anything I can think of. I would really really like them to eat, is there anything else I can do? I know it's the time of year when some go off feed, my 5 year old female is off feed, but these guys really need it.

Thanks
    How often are you offering? If you offer every day, wait about 7-10 days between offering food. Maybe they are just off feed. Let them get good and settled in.
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

Thanks

Re: Rescue Worries

I've been offering once a week

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I'd get a fecal test done for parasites, sometimes that can turn them off food. If it comes back negative, just keep offering as you are, even try live hopper mice if you need to. Make sure you track their weight
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

That's the bad thing about rescuing ball pythons.. they won't eat or they eat A LOT. I rescued a large female almost 8 months ago is only about 1,900 -2,000 grams. (I Can judge weight being a chef, my scale is also broken sadly.. ) but, since we've had her we have only gotten Her to eat once, And She took a rat that I thought would be to big And just destroyed It! It's a good thing to know.you rescued more of these snakes, not everyone does nd sadly so many die. I wish you better luck then us, but the only advice I can think after all that is give them a little more time, or if they loose anywhere from 30-50 percent of there body weight... ask about force feeding as a LAST RESORT. I rally hate hearing that a ball has to be force fed. But some times they must. Oh, just in case if you notice signs of R.I.'s you should take them to the vet asap. That could be a reason why they don't.. (that is my personal experience ours that has the R.I. doesn't want to eat but is hungry) again good luck.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks

Leave a f/t rat in there cage over night, I have had good results with this method when a snake has been over stressed, check the next morning and the rat should be gone, if not do it again in 5 days or so.