Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

1 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: ۞Is this a Yellow Belly? Could be a Normal?

Quote Originally Posted by tejanastar View Post
    Thanks guys, I think she is a very pretty normal. We walked into PetSmart a couple years back and they knew us and how much we loved Balls. Anyway, the manager came up and said, "Hey, hey I gotta send this Ball back he is so mean and aggressive. Bit everyone in the store, all the workers are scared. He has been transferred from 2 other PetSmarts already. Take a look at him and if you want him, he is yours. We can tell by the tail length that its a boy." So, my husband and I went in the back and took a look at him and fell in love with his high colors. Never struck at us, never even hissed. Problem tho, I put HIM with my caramel albino about a month back to see if they were 'interested' and nothing was happening. So, I tried again, and still nothing. They would stay at opposite ends of the bin. So, something told me, "I better pop HIM to find out whats going on." Shocked to find out that HE is a SHE. Well, no wonder nothing was going on! So, about a month ago, I put her with my Proven Fire to see if she was at all interested, and completely forgot she was in there until the next morning when I went in to change/check water and THEY WERE LOCKED. I'm very concerned because she is only 890gr. She just shed completely this morning, has been very jumpy when touched, also, when I put my hand in her bin she looks quickly right at it knida like "I DARE you to touch me" plus she has gone off feed now for I believe 3 weeks (don't have my record book by me). I'm worried because she is too small in weight to get pregnant and I'm worried about the egg binding possibility. Any one have any experience in this?
    I dont understand if you verified it to be female and knew she was only at 890 grams why would you even risk putting her in with a male?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to joebad976 For This Useful Post:

Tempestas (11-16-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joebad976 View Post
    I dont understand if you verified it to be female and knew she was only at 890 grams why would you even risk putting her in with a male?
    That was exactly my thought! She is much too small to be having a clutch. You stated you put her in there to see if there would be any interest... why would you dare chance something like that? She is not even 1000 grams yet!
    0.5 Normal - Crawly, Bonnie, Sally, Oracle, and Silver
    1.1 Spider - Parker and Clyde
    1.0 100% Het Albino - Lucky
    0.1 Cinnamon - Riddle
    1.0 Lesser Cinnamon - Sinatra
    1.1 Pastel Possible Het OG - Mellow and Squirt
    0.1 Albino - Sunny
    0.2 Mojave - Cassiopeia and Cleopatra
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly - Jigsaw
    1.0 Calico - Zeus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crawly's Mom For This Useful Post:

Tempestas (11-16-2011)

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    If she is gravid, you're pretty much out of luck. Females shouldn't be bred until they are at LEAST 1500 grams. That was a very irresponsible thing to do, especially since you know she's too small to breed. I don't even get why you would do that.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joebad976 View Post
    I spoke to a guy that I met at an Expo out of Austin. He said that if you put any female in with a male that you want to breed that it will entice the male, then you take her out and put the one in that you want the Fire to breed with. So trusted what he said.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crawly's Mom View Post
    That was exactly my thought! She is much too small to be having a clutch. You stated you put her in there to see if there would be any interest... why would you dare chance something like that? She is not even 1000 grams yet!

She was 1175 when I put her in there, she is now at 960gr. I weighed her last night, I was mistake on her weight in the previous post. Didn't have my record book by me. I know that Most breeders perfer 1500, but at LEAST is 1200....read that on numerous sites.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowkazoo View Post
    If she is gravid, you're pretty much out of luck. Females shouldn't be bred until they are at LEAST 1500 grams. That was a very irresponsible thing to do, especially since you know she's too small to breed. I don't even get why you would do that.
    As stated above, I spoke to a guy and that is what he told me to do to entice the Fire to breed early in the season, then you take her out and put the one in that you want the Fire to breed with. Trusted his word as this is my first season, didn't really know what this site was about until recently.

Thanks
    There is a very large difference between 890 grams and 1200 grams. 1175 is not even 1200 grams and if 1200 is the bare minimum most people shoot for, you shouldn't be putting her in if she is even 1175 imo. Entice the male with a female of the appropriate size... either with the one you want him to breed with or at the very least with one that is of the right size to breed in case something like this happens.

You should never just trust the opinion of a person. Research the information you get... learn what is okay and what isn't. It could mean the difference between a live animal and a dead one.
    0.5 Normal - Crawly, Bonnie, Sally, Oracle, and Silver
    1.1 Spider - Parker and Clyde
    1.0 100% Het Albino - Lucky
    0.1 Cinnamon - Riddle
    1.0 Lesser Cinnamon - Sinatra
    1.1 Pastel Possible Het OG - Mellow and Squirt
    0.1 Albino - Sunny
    0.2 Mojave - Cassiopeia and Cleopatra
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly - Jigsaw
    1.0 Calico - Zeus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crawly's Mom For This Useful Post:

janett (11-16-2011)

Thanks

The guy I spoke to said, yeah if she is 1175 it is fine to put her in there to get his interested because she is 2-3yrs old. Also, didn't really know where to go for the 'verification' until I found this site which is why I asked here....

Good thing I found you guys. I know that just because they were locked doesn't necessarily mean she is gravid. So, my fingers are crossed that is isn't.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks

If she is mature she will breed. If she is not she won't. I would not worry about the size too much, just keep feeding her whatever she wants and she will put the weight on quick. I bredd a female at 900 grams once and she was 1650 by the time she laid. Like I said, when a female is building she will grow quick.
    Mike

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twistedtails For This Useful Post:

janett (11-16-2011)

Thanks

Thank you so much for the knowledge. I just read also on benrenick.com/breeding_ball_pythons that he breeds them at 1000+.

Thank you so much for your info and knowledge!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12