Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

3 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Herp Store Ideas

Alright so my buddy has started a small mom and pop style pet shop. Its quickly turning into a specialty store focusing on Saltwater Aquariums and Reptiles.

What im wanting to know is what you would like to see when ur walking into a Herp Shop? The idea is on going a more of a natural approach. Like indoor pond for turtles. And plastic water troughs for gators, caimens, and tortises. Doing snake racks as well. Hes wanting all the tanks to look like natural display cages.

So whats everyone think?
    BPs
    Ive lost count

Thanks
    I think if done right. I wouldn't mind driveing their if the animals looked good, and not messed up like the ones.around me. Currently.I.drive 30 minutes just to go to a store that appealing to the eyes. Snakes look Hood happy, the lizard monitor. All of them look good not 20 balls just piled in a corner in a 10 gallon tank in the wall.

Thanks
    I wish more places had more realistic tank decorations that don't look so plastic and have more natural habitit colors involved. But that's cause I'm building a tank right now but most peeps here have racks. But that would be awsome. I find myself goling to the most random spots to find items to make. Realistic habitat setting.
    -Joe

0.1 Albino Ball Python (Kira)
    1.1 Boxers (Kobe) and (Cali)

Thanks
    haha cali is a bit of a drive to south florida.

Well all the bps are being kept in racks upstairs. But a few are in "show" display cages during the day. For now at least.

Hes wanting to do a big pond with a leveled waterfall. Each level would have something different. Turtles, Water dragons, Basilisks. Stuff like that. I dont think theres enough room but would be a sick if there was more space.
    BPs
    Ive lost count

Thanks
    Gota.start somewhere don't break the bank but ppl will notice quality.

Yea sorry ill make a deal. If its get big enough and I get stationed near there I blow a paycheck on the place. LOL. Maybe invest in the place to help them grow abit.

Thanks
    What I would like to see is..well, the stuff we use and love to use that is GOOD for our reptiles.. Sick of seeing iguanas and leopard geckos on calci-sand! Maybe sell temp guns and even thermostats, things we can't usually find in a pet shop. Of course the main thing I like to see is healthy animals! Oh--and helpful, knowledgeable employees

I'd love to see a store 'pet' in an example cool cage showing proper housing and how to set it all up. We used to have a pet store with an adult iguana in a proper enclosure. Gave new owners buying babies an idea of the size they will get to an the cage size they require--as well as being gorgeous and impressive! Or a big display cage with white's tree frogs or something awesome like that
    Last edited by purplemuffin; 11-12-2011 at 02:19 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

DakotaB (11-15-2011)

Thanks

Re: Herp Store Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    What I would like to see is..well, the stuff we use and love to use that is GOOD for our reptiles.. Sick of seeing iguanas and leopard geckos on calci-sand! Maybe sell temp guns and even thermostats, things we can't usually find in a pet shop. Of course the main thing I like to see is healthy animals! Oh--and helpful, knowledgeable employees

I'd love to see a store 'pet' in an example cool cage showing proper housing and how to set it all up. We used to have a pet store with an adult iguana in a proper enclosure. Gave new owners buying babies an idea of the size they will get to an the cage size they require--as well as being gorgeous and impressive! Or a big display cage with white's tree frogs or something awesome like that
    I like this. Just made some great ideas pop into my head. Thanks man.
    BPs
    Ive lost count

Thanks
    I'd love a shop like that around here!

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Yes, VA needs more good herp stores! If I had the money and the business know-how I'd start up a herp store right now!

Hmm..what I'd like to see in a herp store. Naturalistic displays are a must. Also consider carrying things the regular Petsmart or Petco doesn't like weight scales, sexing probes, temp guns, and maybe rack systems.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    It would be nice to see flexwatt sold by the foot, along with the connectors to go with it. I would like to see reptile caging for sale, not just a bunch of fish tanks and screens. Maybe even an example of reptile caging or a rat rack built by a local craftsman that could be ordered through the store.

What I would really love to see and I never see this reliably is a good selection of rats, mice, and ASFs in a variety of sizes, both live and frozen. Mealworms and roaches would be a big plus too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast