Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,066

2 members and 3,064 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Good Axanthic vs. Bad Axanthic

When it comes to any line of axanthics, I've been reading that all lines have some that brown out quickly.

When they brown out, do they ever go back toward the grey/silver later on? Can these browned out axanthics still produce offspring that don't brown out so much?

How, when they're babies, would you be able to choose the right ones to selectively breed them for those that don't brown so much?

Looking at some VPI axanthics that are about 5 months old, but already starting to brown... Just wondering if they ever start to lose the brown again...
    Lots of BPs, and still not enough!

https://www.facebook.com/selectmorphs

This is addictive...what did I get myself into?...

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I've heard that Black Axanthics will not brown out, I know that Justin Kobylka deals with them, but I don't know if he has any available

Thanks
    VPI holds its silver better and TSK browns out the most, but your right it depends of the genetics of the parent pythons - if your dealing with higher quality animals you can expect higher quality offspring and visa versa.

To answer your question yes, some adults can hold their silver - I've seen some VPI and NERd axanthics hold their silver really well as they age.

Pastel Axanthics tend to hold their color better than the single gene morph.

People haven't done a ton of work with the axanthics in the past and its hard to find them on the market, this year I see a lot more interest in them and I'm sure you will see cleaner genetics and better color retention over the next decade.

I'm hoping to prooduce some killer bee axanthics over the next 5 years . I love the morph!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Right, a good axanthic won't brown out. But that doesn't answer my questions.

Will an axanthic that browns out ever turn color back towards the grey/silver? Or will it never look that way again?

Also, do browned out axanthics typically produce the same? Or do they vary like the white of pieds? Can a pair of browned out axanthics still produce offspring that will hold their color?
    Lots of BPs, and still not enough!

https://www.facebook.com/selectmorphs

This is addictive...what did I get myself into?...

Thanks

Re: Good Axanthic vs. Bad Axanthic

Hello,
    So I found this thread due to a question i had. I have a VPI Axthantic, that I bought when
    he was a baby. 3 months after purchase, he began to brown out, and I mean brown.
    Well, last week I noticed he looked Grey again. Considering he was also in his blue stage of shed, I just chalked it up to him needing to shed.
    Well, he has shed, and he looks like his Grey is returning. Is this common? I can't find where I can post a pic, if someone can help me I can post a pic. Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Good Axanthic vs. Bad Axanthic

Quote Originally Posted by JonSnow7 View Post
    Hello,
    So I found this thread due to a question i had. I have a VPI Axthantic, that I bought when
    he was a baby. 3 months after purchase, he began to brown out, and I mean brown.
    Well, last week I noticed he looked Grey again. Considering he was also in his blue stage of shed, I just chalked it up to him needing to shed.
    Well, he has shed, and he looks like his Grey is returning. Is this common? I can't find where I can post a pic, if someone can help me I can post a pic. Thank you in advance.
    Here ya go: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)