Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,922

3 members and 1,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Snakes that eat all year round

I only have two pet reptiles which are a pair of young bull snakes. Since they seemed to have slowed down with their eating habits lately I was wondering if anyone knew of any snakes species that make good pets that eat all year around. I have been wasting a lot of mice lately and I want another pet snake anyways but would prefer one that might be a good mouse dumpster for my bull snakes that seemed to have slowed down a lot lately. I had a red-tail boa as a kid and am considering that as an option because she never slowed down in regards to eating but I would prefer something that doesn't get a heck of a lot larger than a bull snake for the time being. Plus I want an excuse to get another snake since my fiancee keeps nagging me saying how "we have enough pets already" and I just would prefer a snake that tends to eat most of the year. Sorry if this is a little confusing because I may have had a few drinks before I posted this

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    I was going to suggest a boa but the size might be an issue for you down the road. Both of mine have never refused a meal. You could look into "dwarf" boas though that usually stay smaller than the Colombians and BCCs (like a Central American or even a Hog Island?).

I would have suggested a kingsnake but mine (who's a year and a half old) just slowed down here within the month himself and hasen't wanted to eat either. Kings are usually awesome eaters the rest of the time though.

Based on my own experience, I would recommend a corn. Mine is a garbage disposal but who's to say he won't slow down in the colder months either? I have just had luck with him so far. But that might be something to look into.

Also I hear that bloods are disposals as well but have no personal experience with them to date. Another something to maybe look into.

Good luck.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If your idea is to get a snake because it eat year round it might not be the best idea, there is absolutely NO GUARANTEE that any snake will eat year round, slight change in the weather, husbandry etc can lead to a snake missing a meal or two or even more.

I have Bulls, Milksnakes, Carpets, BP and a Blood and I can tell you that aside from the BP all the others are what I call garbage disposal IF their husbandry need are met, however even than they might still miss a few meals, keep in mind that if they were in the wild they would probably not eat as much as they do in captivity.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Snakes that eat all year round

I think the common boa would be a perfect choice if I wanted a snake simply for rat disposal purposes. The red-tail I had when I was a young lad had some temper issues that may have turned me off to them a tad. I just don't like them as much as I used to. As for corn snakes they have some cool looking morphs but I just prefer my snakes to be on the larger scale. I picked bull snakes for the time being because they just look evil as heck and they get pretty big but not too big and I just like them a lot. Like you said Deborah I don't want to get a snake just because it eats all the time. I was just considering adding a snake to my collection and would prefer to get one that would eat leftovers so I didn't waste money on unwanted mice. I don't think I am going to go out and buy a snake tomorrow or anything unless I can find a giant hognose somewhere.

Thanks

Eating types of foods for Bull/Gopher

Is there any other type of food they eat. I am been trying F/T Mice on a Gopher/bull since I it was turn over to me. Still have not been able to get it to eat. Done everything I know. Left over night F/T, cover tank, tried live. Got tank in all the right zones. Has not had a meal for 3 weeks+, still very active, weight still good, nice likes to be handle. I big tank, he is about 5ft.

I even tried a smaller mouse F/T not go.

Is there anything else he would eat that I do not know about?????

Any help Please, We are doing the very best we can, we don't want to lose he. I have check is poop and his mouth nothing.

Terrance
    Our Current Family:
    1.0 Green Tree Python (ARU)=Hercules: 1.0 Borneo Blood Python=Sir Lancelot
    0.1 Ball Python=Sheba: 0.0.1 Gopher Rescue=Dirty Harry: 1.0.0 Corn=Apollo
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko= Napoleon 0.1.0: Bearded Dragon=Draco : 0.1.0Fire Belly Armadillo Lizard:
    0.1.0 Rose Hair Tarantula: 1.0 Cockatiel=Luna: 0.1 Vosmari Eclectus=Evee: 0.2 Cats= Kiku, Duchess: 1.2 Dog=Lilly, Brandy, Charly: 2.0 Flemish Giant=Athena and Snuggles: 0.4 Rats: 0.0.8 Tiger Barbs Fish:
    MY Wish List:
    1.1 Jaya Carpet Python: 0.1 Black Pastel Python: