Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,157

2 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Please

Thanks

Help Please

So my 6ish month old boa has me a little worried. She refused a meal so i figured she was probably going into shed, soon enough a little while later her eyes went blue. It has now been about 2 weeks since her eyes returned back to normal and still no shed. Her skin looks all wrinkly but I can't tell if it's because of the shed or because she hasn't eaten in 3 weeks. I've tried bumping the humidity. Is there anything I can do or am I just overreacting?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    After two weeks after turning clear it seems she has a stuck shed. I would definitely recommend bumping up the humidity since she had a bad shed, also, try giving her a nice long soak in luke warm water (not hot!). She may want to rub against your hands to rub the shed off after the soak, but if I need to assist I usually just put them back in their hides and they remove it themselves....Good luck!

Edit: Do you know why she hasn't eaten? Was it because she's been in shed?
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 10-24-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Ok thanks. This sucks because this is only her second shed with me and the first one was bad too. I've even bumped up the humidty since then to make sure it doesnt happen again I haven't tried to feed her since she went into shed because everything I've read online says not to. Should I try and see what happens?

EDIT: Do you have any tips to help up the humidity? I spray a couple times a day, I have a damp towel on the lid, anything else i can do?
    Last edited by mbrandner27; 10-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks
    What are you keeping her in? Like, what's her set up?

I have no problem feeding my boa during shed! He's albino, so I can't even tell when he's going into shed...and he's NEVER refused a meal for me. Especially a baby, I wouldn't not offer it just because of shedding.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    I'm not sure the exact dimensions, 2x5x3 or so? Screen top lid, glass on the sides.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by mbrandner27 View Post
    Ok thanks. This sucks because this is only her second shed with me and the first one was bad too. I've even bumped up the humidty since then to make sure it doesnt happen again I haven't tried to feed her since she went into shed because everything I've read online says not to. Should I try and see what happens?

EDIT: Do you have any tips to help up the humidity? I spray a couple times a day, I have a damp towel on the lid, anything else i can do?
    I would try to get the stuck shed off before you try to feed. Stuck shed tends to get dry which makes it less flexible. I also feed all of my snakes when they are in shed.

As for your humidity, what are you using as a substrate? I use cypress mulch with my boa that I keep in a tank. I also keep her water bowel over the UTH all the time, mist daily and keep a damp towel on top of the tank. I've had her about 5 months and I get perfect sheds from her.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Wow, this would have me a little worried too. Boas should shed within a few days of returning to normal after the blue phase. What causes the skin to become faded and the eyes hazy in the first place is fluids between the old and new skin. Typically, they help the shedding process after the snake clears up. However, if the shed skin is not shed properly, these fluids can dry out and act almost like glue causing a stuck shed. Take some lukewarm water (only slightly above room temp) and soak the boa for a good couple hours or longer with water deep enough to go about half way up its sides. After the soak the boa may need to be assisted in shedding. However do not be too aggressive in pulling off the old skin, which can cause injury. Simply have the boa crawl through a damp towel, or use a rubbing motion to roll it off with your fingers. If you do not get it all in the first attempt, soak the boa again and repeat until you get it all.

This is most likely a response to too low humidity. I generally keep my boas in 60-70% humidity and approaching 80% during the summer months. As long as there is no condensation or wet conditions within the enclosure, the humidity will not be too high. My temps during the summer months are 92 F on the hotspot and 78-80 F ambient air temp on the cool side. Keeping the heat and humidity in check will help with future sheds. Typically glass aquariums with screen lids are not good at keeping proper heat and humidity. You can tweak it by covering most of the top with something to keep in humidity well and using an under tank heater on a thermostat and good size water bowl. However, the best option is the use of plastic tubs with small vent holes in the sides using a soldering iron, and when the boa grows switch to a plastic reptile cage.

Good luck
    Last edited by Pals BP; 10-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    - Phil

Pictures of My Reptiles

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.
    ~ Francis Bacon

Thanks
    What are you using for heat? If you are using a lamp in a glass terrarium that explains the problem with humidity. I also agree that you should do the soaking and removal of the shed before feeding, especially after so long with stuck shed.

Thanks
    I use the Repti-Bark. I planned on switching to the cypress mulch as soon as this bag runs out. I'll try soaking her and see if that helps. I really hope everything turns out ok

Edit: I am using a lamp, I should switch to an UTH?
    Last edited by mbrandner27; 10-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by mbrandner27 View Post
    I use the Repti-Bark. I planned on switching to the cypress mulch as soon as this bag runs out. I'll try soaking her and see if that helps. I really hope everything turns out ok

Edit: I am using a lamp, I should switch to an UTH?
    I would switch to a UTH with a thermostat/dimmer and put your water bowel at least partial on top of it. Lamps kill humidity even if you put the water bowel directly under them.
    Last edited by Kinra; 10-24-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast