Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,341

1 members and 2,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

a lot harder than i thought

am i a bad owner if i can't afford a rack built by a company? should i not breed if i think a igloo cooler with my spider thermostat and flexwatt tape in the bottom is sufficient... and my rack is made of Steel shelving with cutting boards and uth on them attached to my thermostat is "working"... i was just told that i am hurting my snakes by a breeder i met with what i have set up... if i'm using different materials to get the same results as your name brand stuff aren't i doing it better than he is since i'm spending less( all the heaters and shelving i had b4 i ever had snakes i had green iguana, water dragons bearded dragons a pac man frog and anoles(15 after they bred twice) am i really hurting the eggs if i can hold temp at 89 degrees and my snake room ambient temp is 82 and the hot spot is 90 degrees on the racks... please i want the truth i'll go buy an AP rack and an AP incubator if i have too but these i feel i invented... and they work... please reply

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atherosdragon For This Useful Post:

decensored (11-02-2011)

Thanks

Re: a lot harder than i thought

if your temps and humidity are fine, your doing just as good as anybody else
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cmack91 For This Useful Post:

decensored (11-02-2011)

Thanks
    IMHO If you can keep the temps and humidity correct your snake doesn't care what your rack looks like or is made of. Heat is heat. Humidity is humidity. Make sure you don't have spikes and such, but other than that I don't see a problem.
    1:1 Mojaves 1:1 Cinnamon :1 Pinstripe :1 Spider :6 Normal :1 Albino 1: Butter :1 pastel :1 yellow belly :1 100% het albino

6. The Following User Says Thank You to akaangela For This Useful Post:

decensored (11-02-2011)

Thanks
    Snakes need a particular set of conditions, not a particular brand or style of housing.

If your snakes needs are being met, all is well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Redneck_Crow For This Useful Post:

decensored (11-02-2011)

Thanks
    If you care about your animals and you're doing the best for them - keeping them fed and clean - then you're on the right track.

Almost everything I have was purchased for discount - tubs during a walmart sale, shelving with a coupon, hides and water bowls from the dollar store. Does that make me a bad owner? Nope - just gives me more money to buy more snakes, lol!
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

Thanks
    everything i have is kinda thrown together on wat was cheaper ATM. would i like to get an AP rack, yes, is it really necessary over what i have, not really. everyones set up is unique and if they were all the same then that would be kinda boring and there wouldnt be a million threads and posts on the subject, which oddly keeps everyone entertained every time it comes up. the breeder who told you you were a bad snake owner is either a jerk or jealous because he spent way more on something prebuilt instead of being smart and economical by building his own. snakes happy = good set up.
    1.2 normals Eddie, Cady, Cari
    1.0 Pewter Jeffey
    0.1 Cinnamon Bubbles
    0.1 pastel Rosalba (Rosie)
    1.0 unknown morph Abba
    0.1 Hypo Boa Castrina
    0.1 Dumeril Boa Stefani

Room-mate's
    1.0 Het G-Stripe Baby-G
    1.0 pastel het vpi axanthic Paxley

Shared custody
    1.0 normal Martin
    0.1 Het VPI axanthic Casey

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as your snake's need are met I do not see any problem.

Many people including breeders have built their own racks for their animals.

And as for your incubator if it fits your needs no reason to be ashamed of it either, I started off with a cooler as well.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-21-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    thankyou this guy i really respect he is the only "designer morph" breeder in central iowa he has a spot next to Brian from BHB at Tinley last year and is apparently on a first name relationship with him He has gotten me a few morphs at dirt cheap and he is able to get morphs i can only dream of buying... I just live my life away from debt i have too much from when i was younger so after i got married the wife and i said no more cards no more loans buy it in cash or dont buy it... i got a buddy who has racked up serious debt buying balls with loans and cards! and he'll never(in my opinion) make that money back if you want to be a breeder you cant go into debt trying to get there...IMO

Thanks
    oh and he made a new morph this year if anyone wants to see a REALLY cool "chromed" snake its a "silver bullet lesser" on WORLDOFBALLPYTHONS.COM

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    If your snakes are healthy then no need to worry................. him and dont let it get to you.
    If you are doing right by your snakes and it is working for you then all is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast