Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

2 members and 3,013 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Should People Be Allowed to Keep Exotic Animals

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    I'm not trying to sound all bad axx or anything, but come try to take my snakes. I'm a vet, military not medical. And a bunch of sit at home stuffing their faces lazy people clicking that we shouldn't be able to do this or that shouldn't count for much. Sorry for the rant.
    Amen.

This crap happens on such a regular basis...At least there were no actual reptiles involved this time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I'm sure that this poll, comes on the heels of the death at the animal refuge. That's the deaths of 2 owners over the years & animals released, it's funny how they sre saying his death may be a suicide, and he himself released the animals.
    The other owner was found hooded & bound.
    I don't put anything past the fanatics such as peta, they have already proven that they are capable of murder.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

minguss (10-19-2011),wolfy-hound (10-19-2011)

Thanks

I am not going to get into too much depth on this, but it has been proven time and time again that ANY animal is dangerous, whether it's an exotic or domesticated.

I voted that we should be allowed to, but with people getting confused on which animals are "exotic" or not, this will be an uphill climb.

For some reason 1 tiger or something getting loose and not killing/mauling/injuring anyone is front page news, but 100's of dog attacks (per week) is just fine and not worth reporting.
    1.0 Het Gen Stripe (TSK Line)
    1.0 Orange Ghost (NERD)
    1.0 Woma 66% het Orange Ghost
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Lesser
    1.1 Pastel
    1.0 Yellowbelly
    0.1 Spider
    1.1 Het Pied
    1.1 Het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Fire
    0.1 Dinker
    .10 50% het Gen Stripe
    1.7 Normals
    + Lots of Herps

Thanks
    I don't think it's fair to lump all "exotics" together. I think keeping a tiger is a whole lot different than a ball python.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyknees For This Useful Post:

Redneck_Crow (10-19-2011),sandra (12-14-2011)

Thanks
    2010, one year: 34 fatal dog attacks in the US.
    1990 - 2008, 18 years: 8 fatal large constrictor attacks in the US.

I see a pattern.
    0.0.1 normal ball python - Ramses
    1.0 lesser ball python - Adam
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Crowley
    0.1 normal 100% het albino BCI - LeVeau
    0.1 pit bull/boxer mix - Piper

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyknees View Post
    I don't think it's fair to lump all "exotics" together. I think keeping a tiger is a whole lot different than a ball python.
    It may be different in that tigers are bigger. But if you have someone who has years of experience working with these animals, has the money to properly provide vet care, food, and housing, has the space to provide a proper enclosure and can provide a secure, stimulating environment, I see no problem with that person having a tiger.

I don't think anyone should have the right to say we CAN'T have these types of exotic animals. I just think there should be some kind of regulation to make sure the people who are getting and keeping these animals are not doing it the wrong way and not providing proper care for the animal or ensuring the safety of the public.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Voted. I clicked yes, but then I noticed the "house pets" in the title. I don't think people should have large, dangerous animals in their house (big cats for example) but snakes, lizards, fish, birds, and other small or just-not-that-active animals like big snakes.

For big cats, bears, and others, the people should have prior experience, have the proper knowledge and know-how, and have a suitable enclosure. A liscense would help too.

Also, I think people should have liscenses for keeping snakes (depending on the species). People should have a special liscense to keep large snakes like pythons and boas (again depending on the species of those pythons and boas).
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

Thanks
    No way should peiple be allowed to keep big cats, bears, big primates. Only bad is gonna come of it and there is no enclosure big enough to give them a happy long life. Look i know people are gonna argue and thats not what im trying to do. Its just like weapons. Should we as americans have the right to own guns? Of course we should. Should we be allowed to own fighter jets and tanks? Think about it. Unfortunattly we need laws to protect from idiots that have no right to own a mouse let alone dangerous animals like big cats and bears
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    There are plenty of laws that cover care of animals and safety of people. We dont need more laws maybe less.
    Over 60...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LotsaBalls For This Useful Post:

minguss (10-19-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    It may be different in that tigers are bigger. But if you have someone who has years of experience working with these animals, has the money to properly provide vet care, food, and housing, has the space to provide a proper enclosure and can provide a secure, stimulating environment, I see no problem with that person having a tiger.

I don't think anyone should have the right to say we CAN'T have these types of exotic animals. I just think there should be some kind of regulation to make sure the people who are getting and keeping these animals are not doing it the wrong way and not providing proper care for the animal or ensuring the safety of the public.
    I think you and I see eye to eye on this one. Ban all exotics together? NO WAY but I do think that it should be a lot more regulated, only qualified people should be allowed to house and care for them. I also think it should be based on danger to people. A BP is an exotic but poses no threat to humans. I may get flamed for saying this but I think large constrictors (retics, burms, rocks, anacondas, etc) should only be allowed to experienced people. I think selling them at shows is ridiculous.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to djansen For This Useful Post:

sandra (12-14-2011)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast