Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

0 members and 2,974 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Unexplained finrot

So, if you read my last thread, you know about my betta and his sbd/back injury problem. I put him in a small tank with daily 100% water changes--with epsom salt and tannins to help with the SBD.

During the process his fins started to get really thin and develop small holes in them. I thought he must have already had finrot and it had just become noticable at around the time his SBD started. Talked to some people who said the clean water should fix him up and at least put the finrot on hold.

Instead it has gotten WORSE. Now his dorsal fin is thick and chunky and looks stuck together. His fins look spiky and nasty.

No idea. I tested the water with the API freshwater master kit and everything is showing as normal.

Anyway, I'm about to start treating his fins. Since he's over the SBD and acting like my normal little guy again(yay!) I'm going to get him off the epsom salt and into aquarium salt.

Anyway, pictures of the fins

Thanks
    The good news is at least he's feeling better!

I missed seeing that grumpy face as he stares down whatever intruder he needs to flare at! Much better than the sad lonely eyes he's been giving me! Still treating the finrot.

Mostly thinking that the 'belly sliding' scratched his fins up and his stress allowed infection to sink in despite clean water. Clearly he's losing the stress and getting his confidence back, so hopefully with treatment he'll be fine and dandy again!

Thanks
    I have no idea about anything that you are posting about, but he's a cute fish and I think it's awesome that you are taking care of him like you are.

What a good fish-mother you are.

BPnet Veteran Jonas@Balls2TheWall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looks like it could be a bacterial problem. Treat with quick cure (found at petsmart) it should take care of the problem. Are you using a dechloroniator? Make sure to follow the instructions on the quick cure because I think bettas require half the treatment.

BPnet Veteran Jonas@Balls2TheWall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Reading through this again, I think your best bet would be to stop all treatment and continue the water changes. Too much meds can really mess up a fish. If he is acting normal, good water quality and time should be all he needs to recover.

Thanks
    Yes, using dechlorinator. Bettas don't require half, they are just as sensitive to chlorine and heavy metals as other fish, just often times they are put in very small bowls.

Only meds I've been using have just been the epsom salt and natural tannins, but he has been in straight clean water since he got over his illness. Trying to use natural cures, I know too well how much medicine can actually damage a fish(Bettafix! Ugh! It has caused too many deaths on the betta forum I frequent)

So he's still getting just the clean water. I do think I need to start him in AQ salt soon as the fin rot is spreading horrifyingly fast. By this afternoon his dorsal was almost completely eaten away by the rot. Very scary, I've never seen it move this fast. Possibly a fungal fin rot, which is going to be more tricky to treat.