Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,397

1 members and 1,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Advice for a new boa owner

Alrighty. A good friend of mine is in the market to get a reptile as a pet. This won't be for some time (May 2012 at the EARLIEST), and she'll be sharing a house with some friends of hers. They said nothing feathery or furry, so reptiles it is.

At first I recommended a ball python to her, before learning that she would like to spend plenty of time with the snake, including simply chilling with it while she's puttering around the house, so I told her that a boa would probably be a better fit for being more included in the household, and that a male won't get too big for her to handle.

She has now fallen in LOVE with boas and their morphs, and wants to know everything she can before getting her baby so that she can be a good owner.

So, anyone want to chip in with some good advice for her?
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett

1.0 Dachshund/Pomeranian mix (Loki)

Thanks

Re: Advice for a new boa owner

First off, boas can be a handful to hold. I wouldn't think that they would be the best bet for a snake to handle while walking around the house. However, there are many different types of boas and sizes. A smaller boa would be easier to handle than a larger one.

If she does decide to go with a boa, and she is into boa morphs, then she should stick with BCI. There are many different types of BCI boa morphs. There are also basically two types of BCIs, dwarf boas and common boas.

Common (Colombian) boas are the larger variety. They have the most morphs, and are the most common in the pet trade. Adults tend to average around eight feet for females and six feet for males. They are very muscular and strong.

Dwarf boas, on the other hand, are a little less common, and have fewer morphs; although, they do have some beautiful ones, IMO. Dwarfs average around five feet for females and three-and-a-half feet for males. Their size does vary based on their locale, however. Mexican boas tend to be the smallest form of BCI, while boas from the bottom part of Central American tend to be the largest.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

Crazy4Herps (10-16-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    She also needs to realize that for the first year or two, they can by quite snippier than ball pythons. You still couldn't pay me to put my male BCI around my neck, and he's about a year old. He's the only snake that's bitten me. I love him to pieces, don't get me wrong, but he's no ball python that just "chills". If she wants something that's going to just chill she really should get a ball. Boas are more hands on and interactive. When my boy is out he is nonstop, exploring things, tongue flicking looking for crevices to escape. Just my

If she's dead set on boas, I suggest visiting and handling one or two before she buys one. She may realize after getting him/her that it isn't what she expected.

I just love my boa, it's a nice break from the ball pythons occasionally. I can only handle having one right now, but eventually when I buy my own house and have a designated reptile room I would like to be a little more involved with boas. Such awesome snakes...good luck to your friend, I'm sure either way she goes she'll be happy
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Honestly I would go for a ball over a boa if I wanted something around my neck to do house work. Boas are strong and you don't want even a 5ft boa around your neck. As Leah said boas are more on the go than balls, but not all of them. My first boa who is a little over a year now is one of the most chill snakes in my collection. Usually she is content to be wrapped around my hand, but sometimes she is really on the go. My little girl is super sweet and I've only been bitten once by her and that was because I was being stupid. My male is a little feistier and once thought my big toe was food and tried to bit it through his tub. (His tub was on the floor at the time.)

BPs can be handled for long periods if you work them up to it. Some of mine are content to be out for hours, but I don't think I'd want my 2200g female around my neck for long. She gets heavy really fast. >__<

If she is set on a boa I would definitely recommend a BCI or a dwarf boa. BCCs can get massive.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    A boa would be better if she wants something that she can handle more frequently, as boas tend to enjoy being out and about more than balls do. Balls are flighty, I know mine wouldn't stay in my lap unless i had a heat pad and a hide box lol. But a boa is NOT something you wanna be putting around your neck, especially as a sub-adult/adult. Mine is 6 ft and I made the mistake of letting her get around my neck; just her "holding on" made me a little light-headed! Plus when they get startled or scared they clamp down, not so good when they're around your neck. I can't say about the temperament of young boas, as I got mine as a sub-adult, but she's been very chilled and laid-back, she's never even struck at me or even hissed.

Be warned though, boas are GARBAGE DISPOSALS. Feeding my girl is always an event, as soon as she smells dinner anything that moves is fair game to take a swing at.
    Last edited by xFenrir; 10-14-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xFenrir View Post
    A boa would be better if she wants something that she can handle more frequently, as boas tend to enjoy being out and about more than balls do. Balls are flighty, I know mine wouldn't stay in my lap unless i had a heat pad and a hide box lol. But a boa is NOT something you wanna be putting around your neck, especially as a sub-adult/adult. Mine is 6 ft and I made the mistake of letting her get around my neck; just her "holding on" made me a little light-headed! Plus when they get startled or scared they clamp down, not so good when they're around your neck. I can't say about the temperament of young boas, as I got mine as a sub-adult, but she's been very chilled and laid-back, she's never even struck at me or even hissed.

Be warned though, boas are GARBAGE DISPOSALS. Feeding my girl is always an event, as soon as she smells dinner anything that moves is fair game to take a swing at.
    Its the same with my Dumeril. She weights 15lbs and its not cake walking around with her. She's about the same size as a lot of RTBs (6.5 feet) and when they hold on its tight- when they startle its really tight. The Dum isn't as active as the RTBs but its still a chore. We interact by sitting in a recliner at night. I watch a move and she leaches my body heat.

The RTBs I had were BCC. We're talking 11 and 9 feet (and still growing). Thats a lot of snake. Even at 8 feet they can be a bit much to handle. They don't recommend people handling 8 feet and up snakes on your own (especially for new owners) They are very busy and not really just content to chill like my Dum or BPs.

TRBs are stunningly beautiful and easy to care for. They are veracious feeders. When my boas (even the Dum) smells food they nail anything that moves.

I love boas and BPs. I would strongly suggest that she interacts with both heavily BEFORE she decides on a snake.

Would she be willing to learn about other boas? There are amazing ones out there! Like the Dum...(I really am a sucker for these guys).

It also helps to know the state, county, and city laws where you are too. Most cities don't allow snakes over 7 feet. Food for though.
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks

Lots of great points have been made. Boas are a lot calmer than ball pythons and are generally more relaxed about frequent handling. However, 'chill' is not a word I would associate with most boas! They're wonderful, wonderful pets, my favorite snakes by far, but handling is somewhat intensive. Though ball pythons are nervous, they really do get used to people if you work with them. When I want to hang out with a snake around my neck, I choose my oldest bp. I've had her for a looong time and she is perfectly content to sit on my shoulders and watch what's going on.

Anyways, I think that either would be a good choice for her situation. And it sounds like your friend is pretty set on a boa. I would recommend a Bci, either a male Colombian or a dwarf locale, but as was said, if she's into morphs a Colombian is her best bet.