Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,491

2 members and 3,489 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I am no expert either, so please take my responses with a grain of salt. But I've been researching GTPs and ETBs extensively (and that includes questions here on this forum) for quite awhile now as I would also really like to add one to my collection in the near future. Here's a few things I've found out that seem to be consistant from several very reliable sources...

ETBs are VERY fragile and can be very tricky to maintain. Husbandry must be spot-on and they can still die suddenly for no apparent reason. They also have a more "difficult" temperament as a general rule.

GTPs are much easier to maintain. They are more forgiving and their needs are easily met if humidity is managed adequately. You do need to be very careful where/from whom you purchase a GTP. The Biak local can be more testy, but the Jayapura and Sarongs are often quite docile as adults with regular and considerate handling.

Neonates are very fragile and should never be handled more than absolutely necessary. So taming a youngster is not really practical. I would consider a well-started juvenile or young adult that is already fairly docile and work with it from there.

Hope this is helpful for you!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

flyingsqueak (10-14-2011),Kinra (10-13-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Re: Considering adding a GTP or ETB to my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    I am no expert either, so please take my responses with a grain of salt. But I've been researching GTPs and ETBs extensively (and that includes questions here on this forum) for quite awhile now as I would also really like to add one to my collection in the near future. Here's a few things I've found out that seem to be consistant from several very reliable sources...

ETBs are VERY fragile and can be very tricky to maintain. Husbandry must be spot-on and they can still die suddenly for no apparent reason. They also have a more "difficult" temperament as a general rule.

GTPs are much easier to maintain. They are more forgiving and their needs are easily met if humidity is managed adequately. You do need to be very careful where/from whom you purchase a GTP. The Biak local can be more testy, but the Jayapura and Sarongs are often quite docile as adults with regular and considerate handling.

Neonates are very fragile and should never be handled more than absolutely necessary. So taming a youngster is not really practical. I would consider a well-started juvenile or young adult that is already fairly docile and work with it from there.

Hope this is helpful for you!
    That's extremely helpful. Thank you!
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

I have no experience with ETBs so I'm answering for GTPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinra View Post
    It is my understanding that GTP are more an intermediate care requirement snake. I have experience with BPs and RTBs. How much harder are they to care for overall?
    With the right cage and set up I find my GTP to be relatively easy. He's a great eater and his cage holds humidity well so I hardly ever mist. The internet makes them out to be super duper hard to care for and that kept me from getting one for a long time but I'm glad I did.

I've read that with GTPs width is preferred over height in caging because they will always go up but when they move around it's usually horizontally. Is this true or was a reading from a bad source?
    Yes, my GTPs cage is only 24" high but 30" wide. Just make sure it has three perches (of the proper width) as various heights and depths in the cage so that it can thermoregulate.

I get the GTPs and ETBs are display snakes, but is it possible to "tame" them if you get them when they are younger?
    Mine has struck at me once. He's wonderful and I would say pretty tame. Just don't stick your hand in his cage at night.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyknees For This Useful Post:

flyingsqueak (10-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Osborne View Post
    GTP....be sure you have plenty of empty cages. You are going to get more of them.
    Truer words have never been spoken! I plan to expand and hopefully breed them in the future. Gorgeous snakes!

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

BPnet Senior Member Brandon Osborne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thank you all...and yes those are all my animals or animals I've produced. As I said, be sure you have plenty of room. You will acquire more.
    Brandon Osborne

Like Osborne Reptiles on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/osbornereptiles
    Take a look at our website!
    www.osbornereptiles.com

Thanks
    are you thinking of the biaks i'm thinking of?
    1.0 Bumblebee, 1.0 Super Pastel, 1.0 Cinnamon, 1.0 Mojave, 1.0 Yellowbelly, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Pastel 50% het Caramel, 0.1 Spider, 0.1 Normal, 0.2 het albino, 0.1 possible het red dinker, 1.1 CH granite dinkers 1.0 Woma

1.0 Hypo BCI, 0.1 Hypo BCI (25% BCC) 66% het Anery, 0.1 Guyana BCC, 0.1 Cay Caulkers Boa, 0.1 Dumerils Boa 0.1 Anery BCI

0.1 Black Blood Python, 1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python, 0.1 Jaguar Coastal Carpet Python 1.1 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Tiger Coastal Carpet Python 0.1 Coastal Carpet Python

1.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor 1.0 Hypo Citrus Pastel Beardie 0.0.1 Frilled Dragon 0.4 Leopard Geckos 1.0 Albino Black Rat Snake
    0.1 Russian Tortoise 0.0.1 Golden Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reakt20 View Post
    are you thinking of the biaks i'm thinking of?
    Nope Richard gets enough of my money.

I also know that the two he has aren't the most friendly things in the world.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Kinra, if you're interested, I am in the process of purchasing a GTP from Rocky Gravley, the Arboreal Enthusiast. Now, we haven't completed the transaction yet and pick up won't be unitl Tinley in the spring, but I've talked with him a few times and he's been really wonderful to work with so far. He seems to have some really nice animals available right now - including several young adults that he's told me are quite docile. I dunno, but maybe you might want to check him out.

I am purchasing "Hunter" and I can't wait!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Kinra (10-22-2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12