Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,491

0 members and 1,491 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Registered User Morphing Unicorn's Avatar
    Thanks

new snake questions

I am new to the pet snake world and had a couple questions that I am sure you all see a lot. So I recently got a new pastel male from Garrick Demeyer and he is awesome! He is 2 months old tomorrow and he is about 22 inches. I know the trip here to VA was stressful for him so I got everything set up and tested out before he arrived and transitioned him into his new home as soon as he arrived. I understand you are suppose to let them get used to their new environment and typically not mess with them for a week or so; however, I attempted to feed him the same night and he didn't hesitate at all (atm on small live mice, but will transition him to frozen soon). He ate and I left him alone for two days. So since he arrived he has eaten two good meals with 0 hesitation. I even had a chance to start bonding with him a bit about 5 days after he arrived. He was a bit timid but within the 5-10 min handling session he came out of his ball and was moving around my hands (pic enclosed). He is eating well but is still very timid with me handling him and has struck at me a couple of times. I know that he is still getting used to me but are there anythings that I can do other than continuing to handle him in order to reduce his stress level and understand that I am his caregiver?

I currently have him in about a 35qt rubbermaid and using reptibark substrate. The humidity level is 80-90% which might be a bit too high? As of now one side of his enclosure is about 72-74F while the opposite side is around 94-100F. He stays on the warm side quite a bit which leads me to believe that the opposing side ambient is too cool for him. I am using a large UTH on one side and since his enclosure is clear I cover it with a towel which seems to help heat the other side up. Should I get a heat lamp (suspended over the tub) or would it be better to maybe get the mini heat pad for the opposing side to increase the ambient?

Since his enclosure is prob a bit bit for a small ball like this I bought another enclosure that's a bit smaller with a solid colored lid to let him feel a bit more secure; however, I don't want to move him into a new enclosure until he is a bit more comfortable (or should I just move him now?). I have read that you should cover the backs and side of clear enclosures with black construction paper, but would it be ok to spray these sides with black spray paint?

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate all of the advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Welcome to BP.net
    He seems to be doing ok for you, but most keep hatchlings in either 6qt or 15qt tubs.
    You can solder some holes in the tub, to decrease humidity.
    You could try increasing the temp in the room, that will help with your ambient temps.
    Yes, you can spray paint the outside of the tub, let it dry for a couple days.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

Morphing Unicorn (10-10-2011)

Thanks
    thanks for the advice!

The tub I got to replace this one is around 25qts. I can use this one if it doesnt cause too much difference to him, or if it is a big deal for the snake I can get him a smaller one.

I know people will argue about substrate till their blue in the face...but I was thinking of trying aspen bedding (not really seeing any issues with the reptibark and it seems to hold moisture well, but I have seen more people use it than reptibark.

I know a lot of people use newspaper and I guess I can go that route in the future but I wanted to have something more nature for him to acclimated to his new home. at least for starters.

Thanks

Saint Albans, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks
    I've always done it the same way. When I get a new snake I'll wait 2-3 days before feeding an appropriately sized meal, wait another 3-4 days before handling. He's more than likely nervous around you but it's best to be persistent with the handling sessions. Keep them small, as you've been doing 5-10 minute sessions. After a while he'll figure it out that you're not a threat. Young balls tend to be very nervous and strike frequently but that will gradually end as they warm up to you and mature. When you're holding him, dont restrict his movement at all unless he's trying to go somewhere you don't want him, then just re-position him. I do agree on the enclosure though. Smaller ones work out best for young snakes. My retic is at the 5 month mark and is already 4-5 feet but insists on cramming herself into this incredibly small hide I have for her.

Best of luck!
    Current Pets

1.0 Ball Python - Twist
    1.0 Ball Python - Houdini
    0.1 brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hateful
    1.0 Red Tail Boa - King
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python - Pandora
    0.1 Calico cat - Sweetie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Twist For This Useful Post:

Morphing Unicorn (10-10-2011)

Saint Albans, West Virginia, United States
    Thanks

Re: new snake questions

On the subject of bedding, I prefer cypress mulch from lowes. It's in a big bag and is reddish in color and will only cost you 3/4$ and will last you a few months. It works out great because you can spot clean feces and you can just mist it with a spray bottle and it'll keep the humidity where it needs to be, and keep it there longer. It's the only substrate I've used for a long period of time. The enclosure i've got set up now is a 55gal long tank with a substrate gradient going from left to right in Cypress mulch, repti bark, moss.
    Current Pets

1.0 Ball Python - Twist
    1.0 Ball Python - Houdini
    0.1 brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hateful
    1.0 Red Tail Boa - King
    0.1 Tiger Reticulated Python - Pandora
    0.1 Calico cat - Sweetie

Thanks

Your temps and humdity seem a bit off. Cool side should be 80, and warm side 92.
    They say for young snakes, the snake will do better a bit cooler on the warm side,say 88 to 90 degrees. Do you have a dimmer or temperature regulater for your UTH?
    Humidity seems too high. Humidity should be 50%-55% normally, and 60% during shed. Hope this helps. Good luck with your new snake!!

Thanks

I am using a thermostat (repti500). I decreased the temps down to low 90's on hot side. I plan to switch him to a smaller enclosure after he digests his meal from last night (15qt). The problem I have with the larger enclosure, which I am wondering what will happen when I eventually do transfer him back into the large tub, is that I feel like I might have to use an additional heat source. My house stays around 68-70 degrees and I cant get the other side of the larger tub above 75. I am sure it would be easier when I transfer him into the smaller tub for the moment. Dont most people use just a UTH for a tub? I am using the larger UTH from zoo med and have read its best to cover around 1/3 of the tub (which is about right in my case).