Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,793

3 members and 2,790 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Few questions RE: my new red foot

I just have a few question regarding my new red foot tortoise I picked up. We got her from a vendor at the NE Reptile Expo in NH, my boyfriend and I saw her in a tub with a larger red foot. I told my boyfriend that was the type I've been wanting and how cute she was (he of course fell in love and picked her up) but the girl said "she needs to go by today, make an offer". Needless to say, we got her for a steal. She seems to be in decent condition, however, her eyes were very watery yesterday, and even after having been provided my boyfriends salad for lunch and a water dish and more greens at home, they are still watery today. I read that it can be a sign of dehydration. She's still a little stressed and exploring her rather large tub, I'm just worried about her. Are their eyes normally watery? I've never really noticed on other red foots.
    Here's an idea of her watery eyes...the "wetness" near her mouth is from the cucumber I think, but the eyes have been like that. Not as bad as yesterday, but still quite watery.

We have her in a 64 qt tub (with no lid). She has a plant pot ceramic saucer for a water dish, and a food dish. She also has a cardboard box with a hold cut in it for a hiding spot. I picked up a 50 watt uvb lightbulb for the dome I had and have that set up. I'm also using coco fiber for substrate (I hate coco fiber...). I know uvb in necessary, anyone have any suggestions for bulbs? I've read I should get a 100 watt. Any specific brand and/or website I should purchase? I know they are generally expensive, I'd honestly rather have it last longer and cost a little more.

Also, here is a picture of her compared to a dollar bill. How old do you think she is? I'm sure they grow at different rates, much like snakes, but if you had to guess?

Any other tips would be helpful. I'm planning on building a neat outdoor enclosure (at my moms house, until we buy our own house) for the summer time. I'd like to try and get a kiddie pool (hard to find this time of year apparently) and make a cool indoor enclosure with it since the 64 qt tub doesn't seem like enough roaming room.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Hey, nice pickup! Love Redfoots!

I say her eyes are pretty normal, shouldn't be too worried.
    And I'm guessing she is between 2 and 4 years old.
    Here is a very good caresheet http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-redfoot.htm
    Also checkout TurtleForum.com, lots of great people with good advice.

Goodluck with your guy/gal.
    [6.18 Ball Pythons ]

Clown, Champagne, Pied, Pastel Lesser, Enchi, Fire
    Albino, Bumble Bee, Pewter, Black Pastel, Lesser, Pastel Het Pied, 2 Mojaves, 2 Pastels Het OG, 2 Spiders, 3 Het Pieds, 3 Normals

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ReptilesK2 For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (10-10-2011)