Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,848

1 members and 1,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal or ??

Thanks

Normal or ??

So I have been hanging out on craigslist, looking to see if anything interesting might pop up. I saw this add for a ball python for $30. Its a 4 year old male. The lady doesn't know much about him, since she got him from a friend, just that he eats and has a good temperment. When I look at the pic he looks really reduced to me. Is this a normal? At first glance, what do you guys think? Is it worth checking into?

Last edited by Crawly's Mom; 10-04-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks
    If it is listed as normal or has no morph listed, 99% of the time its a normal.

IT looks like a nice reduced pattern normal.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

Thanks

Re: Normal or ??

Wild type
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

Thanks
    It wasn't listed as anything. The woman didn't know as she got it from another person and really doesn't know much about him. The pattern to me just seemed really reduced and he has some blushing by the look of the pictures.

Thanks

Talking Re: Normal or ??

It is a normal. It does have some beautiful patterns though i love it. they seem to dribble down her sides. I like the star pattern look in the second picture! I would say go for it! especially if it is a snake in need. they are all beautiful. I think it is a normal but who knows I'm not this guy.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Goodluck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Obscurus28 For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (10-07-2011)

Registered User Christopher De Leon's Avatar
    Thanks
    I see the blushing too...but i agree with the others. Looks like a reduced normal.

Are these the only pics from the craigslist ad?

Thanks
    The first was a picture from the ad. The second she sent me from her phone. He has a lovely pattern. I just thought maybe it was something special. I guess I got my hopes up for something silly lol. The subtle morphs are really hard for me to figure out. I thought the reduced pattern and blushing, even the white coming up off his belly might be something. You can't really see the top of his head, eyes, or belly though.

Thanks

Re: Normal or ??

Quote Originally Posted by Crawly's Mom View Post
    The first was a picture from the ad. The second she sent me from her phone. He has a lovely pattern. I just thought maybe it was something special. I guess I got my hopes up for something silly lol. The subtle morphs are really hard for me to figure out. I thought the reduced pattern and blushing, even the white coming up off his belly might be something. You can't really see the top of his head, eyes, or belly though.

A morph doesn't make a ball python "something special" and a normal doesn't mean it's not special! There can be some really low quality morphs and some really high quality normals. I say quality is most important!

The genetics of a normal can greatly enhance or take away from a project! If you want really reduced patterned animals, normals that are this reduced are a great way to get that! Just because you can't call it a name doesn't mean genetics don't get passed down! It just isn't a morph you can label and sell. But it DOES enhance the ones you do have!

It's definitely a normal, but a really nice one! If I were working with animals and wanted a reduced pattern, I would pick up a snake like that!

If you were working with a small group of recessive gene animals and wanted to outcross them to normals or other morphs, I say pick up the best looking ones you can find! It's the perfect opportunity to improve the quality of your line! Every snake involved in breeding is passing on genetics, make sure they are the genes you want!

Thanks
    Warning: Craigslist is dangerous... be forewarned, it WILL tempt you to buy/rescue too many snakes.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 10-07-2011 at 12:48 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolo76 For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (10-07-2011)

Thanks
    yea craigslist can become bad.. ive bought a few breedable size females off criagslist with 30gallon 40 breeder size tanks for 50bucks.. turned around sold tanks and actually made money on deal and ended up with free breedable females lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast