Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

4 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

A few heating questions

I posted these questions in other threads and didn't get any hits so I figured I'd make my own thread.

1) I just built a rack out of the plastic shelving units found at Lowes/Home Depot. I was just wondering the best way to attach the flexwatt to the plastic shelves. From what I read I understand that foil taping the edges directly to the shelf will suffice but just wanted to make sure. Of course it will be hooked up to a reliable thermostat but the idea of heat tape on plastic makes me nervous haha. I am switching from tanks to tubs (collection is growing) so the flexwatt thing is new to me. ** Also, the thermostat probe should be taped directly to the flexwatt tape correct?

2) I plan on using tubs as my quarantine system and I really like the idea of mounting the UTH to a board that sits under the tub to make for easier moving, cleaning etc.. I had some extra pieces of panel board left over from the rack I just built and was wondering if it would be safe more me to mount the UTH directly to the panel board and place the tub over it? I know melamine is the favorite wood on this board, but I figured if I could I would just make use of what I have.

Thanks!
    Mike

Thanks

Re: A few heating questions

Quote Originally Posted by mtc07d View Post
    I posted these questions in other threads and didn't get any hits so I figured I'd make my own thread.

1) I just built a rack out of the plastic shelving units found at Lowes/Home Depot. I was just wondering the best way to attach the flexwatt to the plastic shelves. From what I read I understand that foil taping the edges directly to the shelf will suffice but just wanted to make sure. Of course it will be hooked up to a reliable thermostat but the idea of heat tape on plastic makes me nervous haha. I am switching from tanks to tubs (collection is growing) so the flexwatt thing is new to me. ** Also, the thermostat probe should be taped directly to the flexwatt tape correct?

2) I plan on using tubs as my quarantine system and I really like the idea of mounting the UTH to a board that sits under the tub to make for easier moving, cleaning etc.. I had some extra pieces of panel board left over from the rack I just built and was wondering if it would be safe more me to mount the UTH directly to the panel board and place the tub over it? I know melamine is the favorite wood on this board, but I figured if I could I would just make use of what I have.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Yes aluminum tape for attaching flexwatt, just make sure you only cover the edges of the tape. If you cover the tape fully you can run risk of overheating and possible fire from what ive heard.
    Dont be worried about flexwatt, as long as its on a thermostat it should not malfunction, just make sure your probe is secure.
    I attach mine inside a tub so I know the heat has penetrated through the plastic tub and the snake is getting the full 92 degree hot spot.
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Banana Pied Ball Python
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Thanks

Foil tape is fine. Now yes some has said the same about fully covering the flexwatt and fires and as there is no need to have to cover the tape entirely i wanted to try this experiment so i hooked up a piece of 11 inch flexwatt about 2 feet long and foil taped the entire thing and let it run full blast for 4 days just to see what happens. No fire. Temp never got above 118 degrees. Anyways i never attach the probe to the flexwatt. Some will argue this im sure but it makes no sence what so ever to hook the probe to the heat source and have to tinker and guess the heat in the tubs. Since the animals live in the tubs its common sence to put the probe in the tub over the hot side so ya know exactlly what your animal is getting. If this means having a dummy tub just for the probe then so be it. Or you can get creative and figure a way to attach it so it can be removed easily for tub cleaning. As far as particle board goes if your using tops on your tubs its ok. If not then the humidity will kill the particle board quick
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    For the second part of your question yes it is fine to attach a UTH or flexwatt to a board for a quarantine tub it is easier than removing and re-attaching it all the time.

The augment over taping all the flexwatt is to help prevent wear, It is one way of thinking. Personally the loss of efficiency and the chance that if you were the tape and flexwatt you will short out on the tape makes it a poor choice.

Flexwatt requires a control, the manufacture (calorique) cautions about running it for extended periods of time beyond 95ºF, that is from an older data sheet I don't know if they have changed it or not.

Thanks

i tape it all,,,,.... have had no problems.. my reasoning was that if you slide something across another X amount of times, its gonna wear out. chairs and floors, drawers and desk,,, the bottom of your shoes,, the earths plates,, and on, and on, and on.
    spooky

Thanks
    Thanks for your replies! This board is such a huge help, can't believe I lurked so long before actually joining.

The way I built my rack requires the tubs to be topless. Hopefully the humidity wont deteriorate the panel board too quickly as all the sides are open and there are holes in the tubs. Do you think that the white side of the panel board facing the tubs will help slow this process? Hmm.. I suppose I could always break it down and adjust the slot heights if need be.

Thanks
    I'd just seal it up and not worry overly.

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not trying to revive and old thread or hijack their thread, but I have one question regarding this same topic and don't want to start another thread.

Has anyone ever lined the inside of the rack with foil, such as the sides and back. I think it will help "insulate" a little and perhaps keeping temps more stable while also conserving energy. It may only save a few cents, but w.e it adds up. What do you think?
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks
    I have not lined a rack but I have insulated the out side of mine. I run the rack in a room that is in the high 60's the insulation helps to keep the ambient temps up (that and the hot side and cool side heat I use.) It should work I see no reason why it would not. I might go so far as suggest the foil covered foam.

Thanks
    I have an all open freedom breeder and before I had a snake room I used insulation board cut to fit on all side and top and bottom. The tubs stayed warmer and stable
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*