Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

2 members and 2,971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Aquarium rocks as substrate.

Just opening this up as i saw it in another thread. Curious as to why this is frowned upon as a substrate.

I have a rack set up and in no way would use this. But as a display cage pet snake I dont see an issue with it, as long as the snake is fed in a seperate container.

Some issues that were raised in another thread were

1. Does not hold humidity
    2. Too cold for the snake

My opinions on those are, using paper towel as a substrate holds little to no humidy. So if the keeper kept up on misting i dont see the issue.

As far as too cold. Last time i checked rocks and sand hold heat very well. So if the tank is heated properly with a uth to achieve the right temps. What would the issue be. Also im assuming coming from africa the snakes arent foreign to spending time on sand and rocks.

One thing i could see would be cleaning. It would be an absolute night mare. But thats keeper preferance more so then snake well being.

Just some friendly ideas to be thrown arround in the morning. Heres the pic that sparked my curiosity.
    2.6 ball pythons 3.12 ASF
    Cofounder www.softfurs.com

Like us Facebook
    www.facebook.com/simplexserpents

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Aquarium rocks as substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    Just opening this up as i saw it in another thread. Curious as to why this is frowned upon as a substrate.

I have a rack set up and in no way would use this. But as a display cage pet snake I dont see an issue with it, as long as the snake is fed in a seperate container.

Some issues that were raised in another thread were

1. Does not hold humidity
    2. Too cold for the snake

My opinions on those are, using paper towel as a substrate holds little to no humidy. So if the keeper kept up on misting i dont see the issue.

As far as too cold. Last time i checked rocks and sand hold heat very well. So if the tank is heated properly with a uth to achieve the right temps. What would the issue be. Also im assuming coming from africa the snakes arent foreign to spending time on sand and rocks.

Just some friendly ideas to be thrown arround in the morning. Heres the pic that sparked my curiosity.
    I suppose this could be done but it would be a major PIA to clean the rocks whenver the snake defecates or urinates.

Thanks
    i agree with ballpythonluvr. It would be an absolute nightmare to clean but i dont see an issue with it bein used given u have proper heating set up. i think people freak out way too much over simple stuff. these snakes have lived for thousands of years without us telling them what they can and cant slither on. besides being a pain to clean i see no reason why it couldnt be used. I for one wont just becouse im not cleaning all those rocks lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I would not have massive concerns about cleaning it would be not much worse than newspaper. Change the whole thing wash it in boiling water and let dry and then re-use. humidity is not a problem either humid hides solve that too. I am not advocating however!

My concern is much more serious, accidental ingestion. One bit here and there might not be an issue but sometimes things go wrong and a poor strike or a broken open rat could lead to large amounts being swallowed. Not a single few stones but a number. I know from experience what a mouth full of cyprus can cause (yes it is rare but I had it happen) a solid indigestible lump it won't pass and won't move.

I don't see any benefits to using stone over anything else, it is costly to replace and it will need to be every now and again. The downsides of likely higher chances of digestive issues to my mind makes it a higher risk substrate (I do not believe there is any that are without issues) There are simply better options.

The photo is deceiving as it came from a breeders site that if you look over it that same rock and plant and show up in many other photos I am 90% certain this is a set and nothing more. Someone should write the breeder and ask to be certain but to my mind it is a photo set.

Thanks
    Oh yeh no the cleaning would be my issue. But in the other thread there were comments about bad husbandry. And that if it was a breeder they wouldnt buy from them because of it.

Like us Facebook

Thanks
    I agree if i was to use those rocks as a substrate id be feeding in a second container.

Like us Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Doesn't stone or rock hold heat better than most substances (like newspaper, paper towels, aspen....)? I'd think my biggest problem would be the heating problems. Not sure of the actuality of all this, but couldn't the rocks get hotter than the bottom of the tank or tub because they hold heat better? I'd be worried about monitoring the hot spot, and having the temps of the rocks actually being hotter....

I'd also assume since the rocks are all different sizes, even if someone was going to monitor the rocks themselves, the larger rocks would hold heat better than the smaller rocks, causing inconsistent hot spots?

I don't know, maybe all this is not true, I'm not exactly an expert on heating...just a thought...
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Aquarium rocks as substrate.

I don't think I would accuse someone of "bad husbandry" or "neglect" for using something like that as a substrate. I would recommend feeding in a separate container if they choose to do so, though.

However, there are so many other options that are worlds better choices as a substrate, it boggles my mind that anyone would choose to use aquarium rocks. I agree that within that picture itself, it looks more like a photo-set rather than an actual enclosure that animals live in regularly.

The primary purpose of substrate for snakes like ball pythons is to absorb waste. Those rocks won't absorb anything, but they would allow it to pass down below the surface the snake lives on, at least. But as stated already, keeping that clean would be a pretty big pain. Different people have different tolerances for that sort of "pain" though.

But whether you are going for something practical or something attractive...there are just so many better choices.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Those rocks are so close in size I wouldn't think it would matter.

Registered User arkansaspythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    i will give this my best shot, as i have had many fish tank setups and now am doing snakes.

The issue here that i can see with the rocks is that, eventually over time of the rocks being heated for prolonged hours will eventually end up not just a single hotspot but most of the tank becoming hotter than you would want it to. As rocks do get hot and stay hot they also transfer that heat as well, because the molecular structure is dispating the heat so as you can see eventually the area that you were trying to heat has now gone from the size of the uth to a lot bigger. cleaning it wouldn't be that bad just run water over it to get rid of the washable deposits and than visually befor washing taking the hard deposits out, than cook to clean let dry and re-use, i guess to put it easier think about walking on concrete bare foot on a hot day just because the part your standing on is in the shade doesn't mean it cool. humidity wise i think the substrate of rock would matter one way or another unless using something like texas holy rock stones dont really hold water at all it would come down to the tank and how you have it setup.

..... like i said my best description of what i know from experience, i think its more to have a drasctic background to allow the snakes colors to come out better.... but that is me
    • 0.1 Standard ball python
    • 0.0.1 pastel/ standard color ball python

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast