Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

1 members and 3,406 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Proved Out My Male... Maybe?

Last year I did a project, Normal x Dinker. The dinker is a male, my second Ball python I've ever acquired actually. He always looked a bit different to me, but I mean we all see our snakes as unique individuals. That being said I think I may have proved him out, although I am unsure. I've never really said much about this project because of my uncertainty so I've now directed myself to create this thread to hear your observations. Here are a series of photos I took tonight to explaining my reasoning.

Here are the dinker's two sons next to each other. The dinker-son is on the left and the normal on the right. Comparing these guys together in person, the dinker on the left seems to have a more golden-brown color look to him--which the dad also seems to have compared to my other normal females and normals in the clutch alike. It may be hard to see in the photo but I tried using flash to pop out the colors.

Here is dad next to both sons, then dad with dinker, and then dad with normal.

Now some individual traits to point out on the dinker son. The traits the father and son both share are these:
    •Golden-brown overall coloration with back blushing areas, more so around the last 1/3 of their bodies.
    •Reduced pattern and little to no double black spots within the brown blotches on the snake's side pattern.

•Golden-brown coloration fading into a thick layer of golden-yellow or yellow on the sides.
    *In this photo, dinker on left and normal on right.

•Tracks down the side of the belly and/or a clean belly pattern
    *In this photo, dinker on left and normal on right. (You can really see the yellow sides pop on the dinker in this photo)

Father's belly

•Grey-ish colored eyes

I am really curious to hear what some of you think. Maybe I am just getting my hopes up for producing a new morph, or maybe it could really be something. Either way I am breeding him again this year to a different normal female to see if I get the same results. If I do and happen to produce a female I'm going to breed her back to daddy. Just had him locked up with her first night paired on Wednesday. You may also be able to see a physical color difference between the two here as well.

Thanks so much for reading through this thread, I know it was lengthy but that's how Coolio rolls. Can't wait to hear what you all have to say.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I see what you're saying Tiff, I don't know about a new moprh, but you can try breeding to diff female(s) to prove out if his traits are gentic.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Re: Proved Out My Male... Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    I see what you're saying Tiff, I don't know about a new moprh, but you can try breeding to diff female(s) to prove out if his traits are gentic.
    Thanks for the input! I am most definitely gonna breed him to some females. And maybe if my Pastel is ready by December I'll try her too. And not to mention, he's also gonna be breeding with my Blood this season. Busy man LOL.

His daughter looks like him as well as far as the reduced pattern goes, but she looks just normal-ish compared to her brother.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    I would call this at most a genetic trait (high gold) rather than a new morph as he is obviously a normal. But could possibly be proven genetic such as the black backs or reduced patterns.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    I do see the similarity.

I don't think new morph, but something genetic ? I think it's good possibility. If he produces more of those high gold and banded babies, I'd love to see what he would do with a spider or spider-based morph. Or with a pinstripe or lesser. I love high gold pins myself, and the more reduced the better. I bet he'd do some lovely things to the lesser gene as well.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think he's a good animal for selective breeding, but I don't believe he's a morph. But who knows? Plug him into some morphs and see what happens. I suspect he would contribute a brightness to them. I selected normal females with very specific traits just for selective breeding purposes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I think he's a good animal for selective breeding, but I don't believe he's a morph. But who knows? Plug him into some morphs and see what happens. I suspect he would contribute a brightness to them. I selected normal females with very specific traits just for selective breeding purposes.
    Anything genetic would be a morph. Some may not have much of an impact on other morphs but if it can be passed on to offspring it's genetic/morph. IMO.
    Over 60...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    Anything genetic would be a morph. Some may not have much of an impact on other morphs but if it can be passed on to offspring it's genetic/morph. IMO.
    Right, so this is a genetic normal.

Thanks
    He is a interesting normal! I don't think you will find a new morph. Like stated already, he will probably add some nice influence to improve other morphs! Good luck!

Thanks

Maybe the word "morph" was a different way to put it at the time of making this thread. Thank you all for the commentary, it would be pretty sweet if he does happen to be genetic. I could definitely see him making some nice Pastels and Lessers. Only time and breeding will tell for now I suppose.
    Tiff'z Morphz