Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,186

2 members and 2,184 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Help with high wattage thermostats

Ok heres my dillema. I am tweaking my walk in incubator to handle more clurches. Basically ive knocked out a wall to build the closet bigger. The space is about 6 ft by 8 ft give or take. What i need to find is a proportional stat to be able to handle the wattage of my heat source. I will be using an oil heater as my heat source. The only high wattage stats i know of are the johnsons but im afraid of too much temp flucuation using it in a space this size. The herpstat pro is a 700 watt and the helix is a 500. Now the herpstat pro would work i think but it will be pretty much at its peak. The heater has a 600 watt to a 1500 watt peak that can be controlled but id rather find a higher wattage stat so im not blowin fuses. Any ideas?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    This one has a 900 watt rating:

http://www.reptilebasics.com/thermos...nics-ve-300x2/

If you insulate very well, you probably could reduce the amount of heat needed.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use Ranco in a snake room that is 20 X 12 and I can tell you that the fluctuation is no higher than 2 degrees.

The key in my opinion is to strategically place your probe in the middle of said room, place your heater adequately also and place some fans in the corners to circulate the air and avoid hot spots.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Help with high wattage thermostats

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I use Ranco in a snake room that is 20 X 12 and I can tell you that the fluctuation is no higher than 2 degrees.

The key in my opinion is to strategically place your probe in the middle of said room, place your heater adequately also and place some fans in the corners to circulate the air and avoid hot spots.
    Yea thats what i was thinkin. My johnson for the room thats pre wired for the room hsater seems to do pretty good as well. I may just have to use that if i cant find somethin with higher watts. That vibarium from rich at rbi sounds good i just havent heard alot of feedback on them.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    You could use the thermostat to control a contactor and run your heater throught the contactor. You wouldent be able to use proportional though.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

Thanks

Re: Help with high wattage thermostats

Uea my goal was to find a proportional to work but after talking with rich at reptile basics today i think my best bet is stick with the johnsons cause it can handle the watts plus even though my oil heater can run at 600 on single stage and 1500 at dual stage when it cycles on it cycles at 1500 and then cuts down to 600 so that jump at the start is gonna pop fuses on any of the porportional units. The walk in incubator is getting the floors insulated tomorrow and the walls and cieling will be done the next day. It will also have a force flow fan system and uv lighting as well. But the only thing running of the stat will be the heat source of course
    [IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Theres a nice oil radiator made by Kenwood at gome depot thats 79$. its digital and has a low med high. This is what i use in snake room and its built in thermostat never failed me yet.

With it on low to med youll never consume more thatn 750 and it stays where you set it along with timers of when to kick on and off. With that hooked to a johnson should be all set.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&ddkey=Search