Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,518

0 members and 3,518 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Cool My snakes wont eat!!

I fed my BPs last Saturday and Ive been on a Saturday/Tuesday feeding schedule since Ive purchased all my snakes over a month ago..

So feeding on Saturday my Het Caramel Albino Female refused food, she completely shed over night the night before so I figured that was the case! But today I tried offering her food and she still refuses! I also tries with my Het Caramel Albino Male and hes refusing as well!! What could be causing them to both go off feeding at the same time? Or is this just normal for BPs?

I'm wanting to get my female up to weight for breeding next year but if she continues this I think i will have to wait til the following year!! (My luck!)
    Visit my website: WWW.JCHREPTILES.WEBS.COM

Thanks
    WHY WON’T MY SNAKE EAT?
    In almost all cases, a ball python refuses to eat due to husbandry issues. Especially a young one. If your snake misses more than one meal (sometimes they won’t want to eat while in shed) please check the following possible causes:

Lack of Security -- No hides, or hides that are too large or exposed (ie: half logs). They prefer dark, tight hides they barely fit into. Also, if the enclosure is too large, or too open (glass) or in a high traffic area with a lot of loud noise or movement. Another snake in the same enclosure can also cause serious security issues.

Over Handling -- Frequent intrusions into the enclosure, changes to the enclosure, and/or long frequent handling sessions can cause a shy snake to feel vulnerable and refuse to eat.

Improper Temps -- Temps that are too high or too low, or temps that fluctuate too much. Make sure you have an accurate and consistent read on your temps.

Improper Lighting -- Bright white lights shining directly into the enclosure, or 24 hour lighting can cause stress. Make sure there is some sort of day/night cycle.

Offering New Prey -- Changing prey species (ie: mice to rats) or methods (ie: live to f/t) can cause refusal. Such changes can be made, but may require patience and persistence.

Improper Offering of Prey -- Offering prey too frequently can do more harm than good. If a snake refuses, do not attempt to feed again for a week. Also, changing environments by moving to a feeding-box or removing hides and "furniture" can cause refusal in these shy snakes.

Prey Too Large -- Too large an item may intimidate a snake and cause refusal, or even a regurgitation if it is eaten. Also, if a ball python has eaten large meals in the past, it can cause a sudden an indefinite period of fasting.

Mites -- An external parasite common to snakes that must be treated and eradicated. A product called Provent-a-Mite (P.A.M.) is the safest and most effective method.

Seasonal -- Sexually mature ball pythons may fast for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months during their mating season (typically anywhere from late fall to early spring) especially if a sexually mature snake of the opposite sex is in close proximity.

Illness -- If all other possible reasons are eliminated, a vet check may be in order to look for internal parasites, as well as possible infections to the skin, scales, mouth or respiratory system.

Fortunately, ball pythons are extremely hardy snakes that can go for months (if necessary) of fasting without suffering any ill effects. This gives a responsible keeper plenty of time to figure out why the snake refuses to eat and get them on a regular, consistent feeding regimen.
    Aspen 1.0 Killer bee
    Aurora 0.1 Lesser
    Autumn 0.1 Lemon Blast
    Clover 0.1 Calico
    Pele 0.1 Bloody Salmon BCI
    Tosh 1.0 Ivory Ghost BCI
    Aslan Water dragon

Thanks
    First off we need to know how old they r. I'm assuming very young since u feed them so frequently. They may be ready to move to a more spread out schedule with bigger meals. If all the things above check out then just offer f/t and leave it in overnight if u have to. This time of year its pretty normal for them to slow down a bit or not eat at all. And if ur female is young, u won't be breeding next year so don't try putting on the weight fast and risk her health just cuz u want to produce caramel albinos
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    They were born Aug 2009 and they were both neglected from the previous owner! The male is larger then the female but I was just feeding that way cause they are still young..my other 2 BPs are 5 to 8 months old! also my husbandry is good and thre list above checks out!
    Visit my website: WWW.JCHREPTILES.WEBS.COM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts

Re: My snakes wont eat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny84 View Post
    They were born Aug 2009 and they were both neglected from the previous owner! The male is larger then the female but I was just feeding that way cause they are still young..my other 2 BPs are 5 to 8 months old! also my husbandry is good and thre list above checks out!
    What are their current weights in grams?

Three days seems too often IMO to be feeding (or trying to feed) - I would give them a week in between offerings. They could be stressed because you're trying so often.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Could possibly be off feed due to feed schedule, switch to feeding 1 appropriate sized meal q 7 Days .
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi