Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,193

0 members and 3,193 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Heating

Thanks

Heating

I just ordered my first ball python and I have a question about heating. I have a 10 gallon glass tank that I am using. I got a 10-20gal UTH. My house stays in the mid 70's so do you think I will need to use a heat lamp to keep the temps up? It gets colder at night, so would anyone reccomend a red bulb for night? I know I need a thermometer for the tank but any advice i get on this before would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Heating

I use a small heat lamp to keep my ambient temps up but had a heck of a time with them till I treated the top as per this thread
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...highlight=tank
    I would also cover 3 sides with foil as well and be sure you UTH is on a Tstat they can get hot enuff to burn your new snake. Most everyone here use this Acu-rite thermometer available from wal-mart
    http://www.bing.com/shopping/acu-rit...M=EGCA&lppc=16
    hope this help you out
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

Thanks
    Before I layered up tin foil and sealed off the screen and cut a hole just big enough for the lamp to sit on screen. It kills humidity so u will prolly need a bigger water bowl
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    You will need a thermostat of some sort, you can likely get away with a hydrofarm from amazon my first choice recommendation is a proportional one the cheapest I know of is a herpstat basic at 109$

It is quite likely you will need the lamp (I'd go with a Ceramic Heat Emitter ,CHE) to keep your ambient temps up. There are other methods but they get complex quickly. If you have any foam board either foam core or foam insulation you can use that to cover 3 sides of the tank to help hold the heat you are adding.

Many will recommend covering most of a screen enclosure I would be careful as tanks have not great air flow to start with and there are health issues associated with humidity and ventilation. I'd never suggest covering more than 1/2 the are of the top and try to keep the edges clear so air can flow it sounds stupid but heat rises it is the beginning of ventilation nature abhors a vacuum. If you let some of the rising air out cool air will replace it. It takes a careful balance, to much and you will kill the temps too little and you can get respiratory issues.

REMEMBER TEMPS FIRST Humidity is an issue over long term and on the extreme ends of the scale. Temps effect health very quickly. Almost immediately humidity is not so major issue. TEMPS TEMPS TEMPS!!!

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ons-The-Basics