Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,189

0 members and 1,189 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Still no shed, should I worry now!?

My pastel still hasn't shed. Its been like a week since I saw his nose start to peel, maybe longer. I gave him a nice soak yesterday morning and still nothing. All my stats are on spot. 88-99° warm side, 84° cold, 83° ambit air temp, and 71% humidity. I just don't know what's going on and need some advice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Thanks
    Your cold side is a little warm, but that's beside the point.

I had the same problem once with my male normal. He took off the skin to just behind his eyes, then left the rest.

Here's what you can do: fill a tupperware with about an inch of lukewarm water and throw in a washcloth, kind of bunched up so it offers a bit of an island. Add snake, cover it and place it in the warm side of the enclosure (if it doesn't fit, remove the heat source from the cage if you can and use it on the tupperware temporarily). Let the snake soak for about 5-10 minutes.

After he's soaked, take him out and, with the washcloth, handle the snake. Let him run through it, and as he does so, apply a bit of pressure so that some of the skin gets rubbed loose. It can be a bit slow to start, but once it starts coming off, it's smooth sailing for removing the rest of the skin.

You may want to do this with someone else around, so that they can help you by re-wetting your washcloth with lukewarm water so that it doesn't get too cold.

This method has always worked for me, both on my one reptile that needed it and those of a friend of mine.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Okay thanks. Ill try that. Like its weird he shed the skin from the tip of his tail to his vent.....a little backwards. Hopefully I can get it off for him, I've never had any other issues with shedding in my other snakes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Country Born Exotics

Soon to be specializing in: Desert Ghost, Clown, Banana, Hypo, Pied, and Spotnose Combos

Frederick, Maryland by way of Memphis Ten-a-key
    Thanks
    What works for me everytime...

I take a towel, soak it in pretty warm water...not hot...and wring it out real well.

Then I take a tupperware container (about the size of a medium kritter keeper so the towel is slightly snug in there) and I put the python in the container over night.

I've had one of my females have a bad shed...shed off in small spots, didn't quite look like she was shedding in others, skin just hanging on in places, for about a week...I did this and the next morning it was literally all off in one (albeit it messy) single shed.

I was scared for her, like i did not think it would be possible for it to come off in one solid piece with the shed she was having, but it did. Since then, i've used it everytime i have the hint of a bad shed lol
    "I said, no more shines. Maybe you didn't hear about it, you've been away a long time. They didn't go up there and tell you. I don't shine shoes anymore."

0.1 RugRat
    1.0 Ball Python (Albino)
    1.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Normal)

My iHerp, recently started.

http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...e-d42c41a88781

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    99 degrees on the hot side is too much, I'm assuming it's a typo and is meant to say 90 degrees????

As far as the shedding, soaking helps, but some take longer to shed than others...I wouldn't quite worry just yet
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Well, my pastel just shed this past Sunday. When I got up in the morning I noticed he was working on getting it off so I left him alone to let him work it out. Then I went back a few hours later and it wasn't pretty so I figured it was time to intervene. I put him in the luke warm water for about 40 minutes to an hour with a wash rag in case he wanted to move around and get it off himself. He seemed to know what I was doing because he just sat there and enjoyed the soaking. When I took him out, I took that damp wash cloth and let him crawl through it until all of the skin came off nicely. It works like a charm especially if you have a cooperative BP. Make sure if you do this technique that you are on a towel or somewhere you don't mind getting crapped on because they more than likely will pee and poop when they shed.

I really felt bad because it was my fault he didn't shed in one piece due to not getting his humidity right so I figured it was my duty to fix it. Now I have to examine my setup because this is the second time in three sheds I had to help him.
    Last edited by RetiredJedi; 10-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------